iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

540 JD not starting when hot

Started by rockwall, January 18, 2014, 02:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockwall

I have a friend who has a 540 and is having trouble with it starting when it has been running for a while. He says it runs great otherwise. What's up?

snowstorm

low compression. get someone to test it

SliverPicker

Bad coil.  Put a meter across the terminals (wires disconnected) in Amp mode.  Tap coil with a screw driver handle.  If reading jumps around the winding is bad.  If this test shows no results try swapping in a different coil that is known to be good.
Yooper by trade.

duckslayingpro

Unless he has swapped it with a gas motor it will not have coils. If it is a gas engine that would be a good place to start.
does it turn over alot slower after it is warmed up? If so it is the hydralics locking the motor down. I know this sounds stupid but if it is turning over slower jerk the steering wheel left to right vigourly while cranking motor and it will start. It will be relieving the hydralic pressure.

loggah

My guess is a bad fuel injection pump !!! i had the same problem in my John Deere feller buncher,started fine when cold,and when it was warm it wouldn't start,when the engine cooled off it would start fine again.The heat from the engine changed the tolerances enough in a warm pump so it wouldn't build pressure. Have him put some snow or cold water on the pump and cool it off then it will start fine again.Mine got worse and it finally wouldn't start at all. I put a new injection pump on it and never had a problem.Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

SliverPicker

Yooper by trade.

SliverPicker

Quote from: duckslayingpro on January 18, 2014, 05:07:33 PM
Unless he has swapped it with a gas motor it will not have coils. If it is a gas engine that would be a good place to start.
does it turn over alot slower after it is warmed up? If so it is the hydralics locking the motor down. I know this sounds stupid but if it is turning over slower jerk the steering wheel left to right vigourly while cranking motor and it will start. It will be relieving the hydralic pressure.

Head in my hind end on this one.   8)  Hilarious!!  Sorry. :-[
Yooper by trade.

cutter88

Quote from: duckslayingpro on January 18, 2014, 05:07:33 PM

LOL took the words right outa my mouth
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

SliverPicker

Yooper by trade.

Northern Timber Harvesting

Northern Timber Harvesting

no seriously I second loggah's injection pump suggestion. I have had similar problems on 3 different machines, not long after the injection pump went bad the hard start after warm-up problem went away with new pump.

rockwall

OH logger

john

Thank You Sponsors!