iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing cypress

Started by slider, January 18, 2014, 07:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

I have been sawing cypress for the last couple of days.Medium or average size trees.It was going so slow trying to get one by sixes out of the last load.So I went searching for some bigger stuff to work with.Check out the size of these 3 trees.The first cut yielded 26 1x6 's compared to 5 to 7 before.

al glenn

WDH

I wish that I could get some cypress logs like those. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

julio

Them look like some nice trees . Hope you good luck with them. 8)
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

caveman

Those are beautiful logs.  I love sawing cypress except for having to clear the dust chute fingers frequently. 
Caveman

sealark37

I'll bet the mosquitoes are the size of jaybirds where those logs came from.

drobertson

Yea, that looks like the mother load! nice logs for sure,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Qweaver

I always think of cypress as having a lot of taper.  Those logs seem pretty straight.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Slider, ya gonna get some very nice boards from those logs. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pineywoods

Hey folks, slidder is pulling y'all's leg  ;D Them nice logs are second and third cuts. The butt cuts would have a flare that adds new meaning to the word bibbying...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

slider

Piney ,I left the butts in the creek.My lill'o 361 with a 20 in bar did not wan't any part of them.I probably could have borrowed Jake's 066 but I already had to steal a solenoid from him this week to finish this job.   
     David,I had to have  1x6's out of them .Just about killed me.
al glenn

customsawyer

Steal! :o I thought you was borrowing it. (Bit by another salesman) :(

Those are some mighty fine logs.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Nomad

Nice looking logs Al!  Only problem with sawing cypress is that I don't get enough of it.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WoodenHead

Very nice logs.  What does cypress look like when sawn?  I don't see that kind of stuff up this way. 

Magicman

That is a nice whack of Cypress.   :)   It is one of my favorite species to saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Woodenhead,
I do not have any really impressive pictures of sawn cypress although it is often impressive looking stuff, especially if you can find some from old trees or logs that have been sunken for a long time.  The porch swing is built from some pond cypress and the boards on the small stack are from a log that was submerged most of the time since it was blown down during one of the 2004 hurricanes we had.  Some of the boards in the stack are pecky. The second picture is of a pavilion at O'Leno State Park that was built during the 1930's by the CCC.  
Caveman
Caveman

Nomad

Pics of sinker cypress

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!