iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Master Sawmills

Started by boscojmb, January 17, 2014, 08:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boscojmb

As many of you know Log Master Sawmills closed their doors and filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in December.
The owners, Herman and Edward Gibson are two of the most honest, responsible, and hard working people I have ever met. I have spent the past month wondering what happened to them and Log Master.  Bankruptcy didn't make sense. They ran a very organized, but basic factory. They had all of the equipment needed to build sawmills. All of their equipment was clean and well maintained, but I didn't see anything there that looked like it had a loan payment on it.
They had plenty of business. I had to wait 4+ months for my LM4. 
Despite being very energetic, Herman is well into his 70's. I wondered if he took ill.
    Today (1/17) I received a letter in from Herman And Ed. They are doing well. Herman is going to continue to offer band blade sharpening and sell new blades. Both Herman and Ed provided their personal contact information and offered to continue to answer questions and provide technical support to Log Master owners.
     I am glad that I got to know Herman and Ed, and happy to be the owner of one of the last Log Master LM4's ever built.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

bandmiller2

Good to hear that John kinda restores your faith in folks. Many times people are clever , honest and hard working but not businessmen. I heard you bought a big mill I'll have to stop over and see it. How are you coming with your stake pointer.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

times are hard for many folks, communication is a constant that cannot be dismissed.  Glad you are in contact with them, and wish the best for all the folks involved  with the whole  issue.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brad_S.

I don't think member Yarnammurt holds the Gibson's in such high esteem as they took him for $8K.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,71190.msg1069946.html#msg1069946
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

mikeb1079

sooo......what happened? ??? ???
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Ianab

Quote from: mikeb1079 on January 17, 2014, 11:46:03 PM
sooo......what happened? ??? ???

Short version they had sold his existing mill, and taken a deposit on a new one, and then went broke, so he was caught up in the whole mess.

To Log Masters credit, they did get him a check for the sale of his mill before the receivers stepped in, so he did get a part refund. If they had been less scrupulous that money could have been lost as well.  But he was understandably a bit "miffed".

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

boscojmb

Quote from: Brad_S. on January 17, 2014, 11:19:52 PM
I don't think member Yarnammurt holds the Gibson's in such high esteem as they took him for $8K.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,71190.msg1069946.html#msg1069946

Log Master did not include any customers in their bankruptcy filing. As far as I can tell, this means they have refunded all customer deposits, or they still plan to.

I found a record of their bankruptcy filing here:
https://business-bankruptcies.com/cases/log-master-sawmills-inc

John B.

John B.

Log-Master LM4

NMFP

My neighbor just purchased a used Log master sawmill and as I can tell, most parts can be purchased off the shelf of an auto parts supply or found on Surplus Centers website.  Anything else could be modified or made at a local welding shop.

The mills are great mills and sometimes when a company goes out of business, its not their fault, as I have said before.  Some times a perfect storm gets the best of the companies out there.

barbender

I have a buddy that lost his tail on a used car lot business, but he still went around and squared up with all of the parts stores and anyone else in town that he owed money. Hopefully Yarnamurt will get squared up with too, the sad fact may be they don't have any money.
Too many irons in the fire

Prologuy

I am saddened to find out that Logmaster is no more.  I bought an lm4 last year and they have always been  available to answer any questions until today.   Their phone has been disconnected.  I would like to be able to stay in contact with the Gibsons.   I may need their knowledge if I have a problem.

hogdogman

I decided, last month, to take the plunge and buy an entry level mill.  I used to hog hunt a lot in the area around Lufkin/Nacogdoches TX and on one trip I stopped in there at Logmasters and had a look around.  So 7 years or so later, I am ready to buy one of their entry level mills only to find that they had JUST gone bankrupt.  I was disappointed as much because they were only three hours away as because of how impressed I was with their machines. The gentleman who showed me around (on my tour of their plant) suggested that the manual mill was often set up on a slight down slope to make the movement through the saw easier.  Does that sound right to you all?

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Prologuy.   :)

Now would be a good time to gather a list of LogMaster owners and form a support group.  There are several here on the FF.

Speak up LogMaster owners.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Glad to hear that the previous owners of LogMaster are ok.  Holding the price of the mills while steel & fuel continue to rise has put the squeeze on just about all metal fabricators.

As far as milling downhill, I don't buy it.  You still have to pull the mill back at the end of the cut.  Plus you have the issue of the carriage rolling on its own while you are loading, turning, or offbearing.  Set it up level.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

thecfarm

Prologuy,welcome to the forum. Probably someone on here could help you. I have a Thomas,built here in Maine. I never seen a manual Logmaster,but I bet it's built as simple as mine is.
hogdogman,I have mine setup level. With mine if the wind is blowing real hard it will move the head. I lock mine in place when I don't use it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GAB

Mr. Boyt:
I agree with you.  I set up the mill that way once, and if you consider it a pain in the neck then you have a much higher opinion of it than I do.  I think when they say sawing downhill that they mean doing it in such a way that gravity and the downhill slope helps you load the logs especially for manual mills.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Solomon

I have an LM4.  Herman Delivered it to me in January of 2008.  It's been a great machine.  Saws nice straight lumber even with difficult species like pecan.
I have to say that Herman and Ed Gibson have always been very fair and honest with me.  They have alway done everything they said they would do.   I would welcome the opportunity to do buisness with them again.
They built a great mill.  I have had no real problems with mine, it just keeps cutting and cutting and cutting.    Pete  Conlogue   Chesapeake  Virginia
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

shelbycharger400

I built my slabber,  I have my frame leveled out setup in a way that the "front" is slightly down from the "back" only bout a 1/4 in or so in 12 feet.  I have a clutch operated chain, but it is nice to know that it will and can roll back to the front  instead of rolling forward when im adjusting clamps, rolling logs, ect.

boscojmb

Quote from: Prologuy on February 18, 2014, 11:23:42 PM
I am saddened to find out that Logmaster is no more.  I bought an lm4 last year and they have always been  available to answer any questions until today.   Their phone has been disconnected.  I would like to be able to stay in contact with the Gibsons.   I may need their knowledge if I have a problem.

Herman and Ed sent me a letter with their contact information. I assume that they are sending them to all logmaster owners. If you still have one of Herman's business cards, one of the numbers is the one that he is still using. I don't want to post their personal information, but they are not hard to reach.
Thanks,
John B
John B.

Log-Master LM4

kwilsond

Hi, we purchased a used LM5 (85 hp Cummin Diesel engine) with a manual few months ago.  We have some small issues with manual since it was designed for sawmill models LM 16-25j, LM2, and LM4.  The LM5 is slightly different from the manual. Anyone got copies or know where I could get maunal for LM5?  The issues we are having is the tensions for blade. The spring inside the tensioner (not sure if thats what it is called) was jammed and leaking when trying to put it at 6,000 psi.  The belt tension idler has wears on the edge causing blade to slip off. Where can we find replacements?  Your feedback/reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Westphal from NW Montana
LogMaster LM5 85hp Diesel
Garrett 20 Skidder
Ford Holland 1920 tractor
John Deere 350 crawler

yarnammurt

Quote from: boscojmb on February 27, 2014, 07:50:00 PM
Quote from: Prologuy on February 18, 2014, 11:23:42 PM

Herman and Ed sent me a letter with their contact information. I assume that they are sending them to all logmaster owners. If you still have one of Herman's business cards, one of the numbers is the one that he is still using. I don't want to post their personal information, but they are not hard to reach.
Thanks,
John B

Hate to chime in late but I was sent a letter. They never returned my calls..CALLS,,not one call but a dozen or more. I am still working to recover from that lost.
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

Thank You Sponsors!