iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making 2x4s with a swinger

Started by Qweaver, January 16, 2014, 12:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I made poplar 2x4s with the swinger this morning using the bottom 1/3 of a 36" log.  They stayed really straight out of a part of the log that usually gives me a lot of bowing problems on the band saw.  Is there something different about the sawing process on these two types of saws or did I just get lucky with a low stress log?  I'll saw the next log the same way and see what happens.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

I have never had any real problems sawing framing lumber from Poplar.  I set the log up just as I do Pine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

Some Poplar will come off nice and straight and some like a banana which makes it real hard to keep the lumber a even thickness and width .  Maybe with a swing mill your not  removing as much lumber at the same time resulting in less stress, or you just got a good log.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

slider

The last popular I sawed gave me a hard time.The batch before was just fine.End splitting after bucking is one thing to look fore.
al glenn

scsmith42

Quinton, I rarely encounter wood movement when milling the bottom 1/3 of the log in any species.  I think that part of the reason is that the bulk of the sapwood is removed from the log, and if it had an off-center pith most of the stress wood is gone as well.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Qweaver

I've sawed hundreds of poplar in the last five years and making straight 2x4s has always been a problem when I saw on the outside 1/3 of the log on the bandsaw as shown in this drawing.  Not so much for 2x6 or larger.  I just don't seem to have the same problem with the swinger.

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Qweaver

Maybe better to saw 2x4s this way with the band saw.

Qweaver

The WPF is really good for making 2x4s and 2x6s.  1 trip down and back and you have a completed board.  But the band mill seems faster making 10"+ boards.  At least for me. 
My friend that owns horses loves the volume of sawdust (more like shavings) that the swinger makes. 

drobertson

I'm quite sure I have sawn about every imaginable pattern possible with my band mill, and have came to the conclusion that all boards to be sized will be trimmed to remove any stress that exist.  Straight sawing through will almost always give me crown on the outer 2x's.  Where as a trim will take enough of the stress out leaving little waste, (more saw time) but very usable straight boards.   Everyone has there own way,  and I have always wondered about the swingers and how the stress would react with this type of sawing ,(with a swing blade).   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!