iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the chicken condo

Started by Po-Jo, January 16, 2014, 05:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Po-Jo

Its been a while since i have been here , hope all is well with everyone, i have finally started cutting again ,long story, got a few piled up to be cut but thought i would post a chicken condo that was made from the beetle kill pine that i cut last fall

m wood

Po-Jo, nice to hear from you again.  Thats a good sized coop.  Is that a piece of plexi you framed in for light?  My guess is that coop is good for about 6 girls.  Is this one for you guys or is it gonna sell?
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Po-Jo

nah this is for the hens we have, we moved them out from near the woods,opossums and racoons was trying to get to them, they are laying much better now that we have them in the pasture with the cows and goats, less feed bill too , everyone is happy now, no plexiglass its 1/4" square hardware cloth, as hot as it gets here they gonna need all the ventilations they can get, it has 9 laying boxes we have 11 hens now, silly hens will all lay in only 3 of the boxes. Kids got 20 chicks coming in March for 4-H. so i guess we gonna have a chicken ranch going on, or a chicken Bar-B-que  ;D

thecfarm

Looks good,But I do have to ask about the snowman on the door?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Po-Jo

well cfarm this was one of my honey do list items, i build it but dont take ownership of it so my wife and kids do the decorating and such, kids wanting snow so bad, but they had to settle for the wooden snowman instead, the kids were spoiled by that freak snow storm back in 2011( we got 5" overnight, has not done that here in 25+ yrs), so now they think it is suppose to snow every year

Po-Jo

the kids want this every year

thecfarm

I have no idea how close you live to WDH,but I can make it to his sawmill in 20½ hours. Pack the kids up,pack winter gear too,and come to Maine. I have snow and will gladly share it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wick

Nice coop!

Quote from: Po-Jo on January 16, 2014, 08:38:07 AM

the kids want this every year

Us too, at least once a year would be cool for my family.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

m wood

Ohhh, you silly southern boys, it only snows once here...and snows...and snows...and snows  :D I'd say it it lasts the better part of 5 months :).

wish I could build some of these in January, April will have to do

they sell better in spring anyway
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

kelLOGg

Quote from: Po-Jo on January 16, 2014, 08:13:11 AM
it has 9 laying boxes we have 11 hens now, silly hens will all lay in only 3 of the boxes.

When I built the coop for my wife, I said. "only 2 boxes for 5 hens?". "yes", she said. They do know how and want to share. Sometimes two to a box, simultaneously.

Nice coop!

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

A coop de ville for sure. Hens will favor certin nest boxes over others. Only had two boxes for my dozen hens, seemed to work out fine. Hard to find the glass decoy eggs now so I would put a golf ball in the nest. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

That is a fine looking hound.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Po-Jo

WDH she sure was , unfortunatly hunters got her a couple years ago, i got her daughter and shes just as nice.

WDH

That is awful.  Hunters should never shoot dogs. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Po-Jo

i agree wdh, always the same story "the dogs run deer off" I lived here for a while and have hunted forever and i call BS on that! i seen the dogs run right by a big ol bucks chasing jr who doesnt know better, funny thing was some of those hunters would get me and "Dixie" to come help them find their lost deer . and she would find them everytime, rain or shine. Dixie was a great dog given to us by some of my high end inlaws that had picked her up from some top breeder in Mississippi , they lived in the city and she was a dog that needed room and the previous owners got frustrated and just gave her to us. She was Awesome for sure!

drobertson

Nice coop!  and you can't go wrong with a name like Dixie ;D,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

If anyone had shot Miss Scarlet, I would have hunted them down.  When I worked for Weyerhaeuser, we had over 700 hunting clubs in Georgia.  The best way to lose your lease was to shoot someone's dog.  #1 rule was, "DON"T SHOOT DOGS". 

slider

Nice coop Po-Jo now where is the goat condo.
al glenn

Rockn H

Po-Jo, I like your coop, looks good.  I'm thinking about building one for my son's place and I've got a question.  We've always had the nesting boxes up behind the roosting bars about chest high.  For no better reason than "that's how grandpa did it".  Does it make a difference with the nesting boxes down low like yours and m wood?  And do you have bars for them to roost?

thecfarm

I had mine about waist high and I had about an 1½'' piece of round wood for them to roost on. All the kids that came here loved to pick eggs. One of my friends would come over in the afternoon. I would have to go back down to the coop with some eggs for them to pick.  ;D  Grandkids would call and I would not pick the eggs.

Po-Jo

rh there are several roosting bars on the inside for them, and they dont seem to mind the laying boxes low, i did it that way so my kids can help with them, the added benefit is the kids get on top of the lids and "peek" in the window to watch them.

goats have their houses and stalls but i will be moving them to the wood line so they can get to work, but i got to get busy for the cows, they are little now (about 150-200lbs) but they should be around 1k+ when they top out, so i need a whole different setup for the girls.

WDH funny you mentioned that , the club next door is on timber/paper company lease land , they had a 2000 acres lease but always "hunted" on our firebreaks, i never understood that logic... i cant prove anything or i would have kicked someones *** , but they would sit on our property line and "complain" about our animals , wish i knew who to contact about their lease when that all went down. Karma's a b@@ch and i am sure it will come back around to who ever did it. 

WDH

We also had a rule that no stands could be put within a certain distance of the property line.  I cannot remember the exact distance, but it seem like that it was 100 feet.  Then, if we got a complaint that someone was hunting adjoining property from a stand on our property, we had grounds for taking action.  Hunting can bring out the worst in some people. 

red oaks lumber

my first coop was a little one, then i thought if little is good big must be better right?

the coop measures 16x 36  the enclosed part is concrete floor, heated and a stereo for the girls easy listening. i can run 70 hens with no real issues, there is a trap door that goes to the outside run that i keep a towel over so they can go in and out as they wish.
i made lap siding for the outside but, my wife isn't sure if she wants wood or steel so almost 2 yrs later i'm still waiting :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

bandmiller2

Red Oaks most of the people in this world don't have as nice a place to live as your hens. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!