iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor Trivia

Started by shopteacher, June 03, 2004, 04:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

Can anyone tell me the name of the first company that begun for the sole purpose of building tractors.  They were also the first to begin using the term tractor rather than gasoline traction engine.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Dom

International Harvester for my father.

Ji Case for me.

Tom

"The Froelich tractor, forerunner of the later Waterloo Boy tractor, is considered by many to be the first successful gasoline tractor known."

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bltractor.htm

Hart-Parr is also credited with coining the word "tractor" for machines that had previously been called gas traction engines. The firm's first tractor effort, Hart-Parr No.1, was made in 1901."
 (same article)  

shopteacher

You got it Tom, Hart-Parr.  Man you must know your tractors.
How bout this.  What's a Johnny Popper?

Tom

All of the John Deere two-cylinder Tractors from the original Model D in 1924, to the last series in 1958/1960 were called "Johnny Poppers" .......................

http://www.retiredtractors.com/Popper/

We have two families down the road with those little allis chalmers rear engined antique tractors trying to sell them.  Wish I had the money. :D

Ed_K

2cyl John Deere, ( A B G M R I forget the rest).
Ed K

SwampDonkey

Alot of folks around here are after the old Farmall tractors. Alot of folks collect them and rebuilt'm. My father was a John Deere man. We had one International, the 706 model, which never had good brakes and when parked in gear it would roll on any kind of a hill. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Danny_S

Does this look familiar Swamp??  

Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

SwampDonkey

Ours was a later model 706 from the 70's. Had a cab and power steering and  front-end of modern tractors. Four forward, 1 reverse gears, a torque arm and six hydrolic couplers. I think it was the first tractor father bought in my time. Dunno what he used before that, since he farmed for over 40 years. Used to drive an old potato truck for dating :D :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redpowerd

tom is all up on all we know ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Bruce_A

What kind of money are they asking for he Allis-Chalmer G's.

ksu_chainsaw

We still run a 706 diesel that was made in '68, the same year dad graduated from hich school.  It wont stay in gear anymore, and the TA went out of it, but it has been one of the more reliable tractors that we have had.  I still like our old VAC's that we have sitting out in the fencerow, waiting for a slow winter to be fixed up.  We also have a 450 NF waiting for an engine rebuild, just have to find the time.

charles

iain

who was the best tractor saleman of all time?
bearing in mind the willingness of farmers to throw money at some thing new ;D

slowzuki

Many a small working farm in New Brunswick uses tractors from the 60's!  My buddies farm uses Ford 3000's and 6000's from about 1965.  My neighbour with modern equipment has tractors from the late 70's early 80's  :D :D

Tom

One G is 3 thousand and the other 3500

ronwood

Tom,

My dad has one of the little G. Uses around the farm in the garden. He been going to sales here in Mo. to find another. I think that they were going for arond $2000. and in need of repair.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Tom

Both of these are working gardens.  The owners are getting old :D

Weekend_Sawyer

I am partial to the letter series Farmalls. I have atleast one of each except for a C and my A is a Super A but that still counts in my book. They are not all in working condition, yet, and my B is more of a rusty lump than a tractor but I love to tinker and they are perfect for that.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Dom

Theres a old John deere up the hill from where I live that my father is waiting to come for sale. I only saw it run once, it was used to plow a few rows. The rest of the time it sits in a barn. I don't know what model it is, but I think its a old twin cylinder from the 40's.

ScottAR

Here's one for you guys.  What was the first John Deere model introduced as part of the "new generation" series and what year was it introduced?  

Enjoy...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Weekend_Sawyer

I beleive it was the 1010 in 1960, I had a 63' 1010 not a bad tractor but impossible to fix the brakes!

beenthere

The 3010 and 4010 were 'all new' tractors announced in 1960. The site I picked this info up from is

http://www.antiquetractors.com/Research/New-Generation/The_New_Generation_Page.htm

Mention is made of the 1010 and the 2010 as well.

My father worked for Deere ('36 - '76) and participated in the design and testing of the new 4 and 6 cyl diesels. They tested them on combines in the late 50's, following the wheat harvest from Texas to Canada (my little sister was born the following May, after Dad was out West in the wheat fields that previous wheat season -- Hmmm?). The engines would be run all day, and be torn down at night. By morning, the combines had to be ready to run, regardless (either with a replacement engine or one that was back together and ready to go).  They were pretty successful keeping the new engine design under wraps, as I remember.  The 4020 remains a classic still today, with high value and worthy of overhaul investment money. (Dad was very involved in the design, testing, and production of the first Deere diesel, the Model R, which was announced in 1949). He was hired by Deere because he had a Diesel course in college (Iowa State).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ScottAR

Close but not it...

Keep tryin fellas...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

beenthere

In 1959 (abouts) Deere came out with the 8010, which was an articulated tractor of good size. That might be what you are referring to, but it didn't have a Deere engine in it. It weighed about 20k #'s.  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ScottAR

Ding ding ding!!!  We have a winner!   The 8010 was introduced in 1959.  If I remember, it had an 8v71 Detroit.  
They had some sort of clutch/transmission problems and were all repurchased by Deere and updated as 8020s.  It was built at the Deere plant unlike the WA tractors that were built by Wagner in Oregon.
Scott
[Magicman]

SwampDonkey

We had a John Deere from the 70's and it had hydrostatic shift. Only needed the clutch to stop. That was the best Deere made IMHO. We ran it for 16 years and sold it almost 14 years ago for almost as much as we originally paid. :D :D  Forget the exact model number, but it was a 3000 series. All the German made Deere's where a total flop around here, more time in the shop than in the field. The Deere's now require a clutch to be depressed to go from gear to gear. You can go from hi to low in each gear with hydrostatic.

shopteacher

OK, back from Richmond Expo.  Who was the first to offer rubber tires as standard equipment and first to include power steering ?

beenthere

Now you are starting to sound like a teacher.  ;D ;D :D
south central Wisconsin

shopteacher

Da, who would have thunk?

SwampDonkey

I'de have to say FORD. ;D

dail_h

Allis Chalmers  first model offered was the WC ,first set of tires was on Alberts Schroders tractor. I think that they are still on the tractor in a musem somewhere.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Bro. Noble

Way before that,  steam was used to steer some steam rollers.  I'm thinking some steam traction engines used steam power steering also.  They sure needed it.  Most people can't keep one on a strait road the first time they try. :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Duane_Moore

Theres a Hart Parr setting in the farmers yard in Buelah, Wyoming,  also a Rumley Oil Pull in Albin, Wyoming, 2535   Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

shopteacher

And the prize goes to dail_h.  :)Rubber tires was standard on the WC in 1934 and power steering on it diesel powered WD-45.

Who in 1938 ofered a fulley enclosed two-seater, with insulated cab, heater, defrosters, windshield wipers,fenders, and a radio? ???

Dom

I think I know this one: Minneapolis-Moline UDLX.

shopteacher

You guys are just to good.

shopteacher

Ok, Try this one.  Who purchased the Waterloo Gasoline Traction Engine Company in 1918 for 2.1 million?

What was the name of the highly suscessful tractor Waterloo built in 1914?

beenthere

Deere & Co for 2.3 million in 1918.

Waterloo Boy
south central Wisconsin

dail_h

john Deer, Waterloo Boy
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

shopteacher

I got to find some more obscure questions. ;D

In 1931who  built the Grahm-Bradley for Sears Roebuck and what was it's top speed?

beenthere

Graham Paige built it, and I know it was fast, as when I was 12,  I would take my two cousins to town (Coggon, IA) on their Dad's Graham Bradley. I believe it had a continental engine, and still remember the whine in the tranny when it was picking up speed in high gear. Also, the throttle was just a 3/8 " steel piece with notches along is underside, and was about 6 " long.

I'd guess it was about 18 - 20 mph, which was a bit faster than the John Deere G that was also available.  ;D

A link
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=slv1-&ei=UTF-8&p=Graham+Bradley
south central Wisconsin

shopteacher

Gold Star for beenthere.  My sourse gives 22 mph as its speed.  They reflect the fact that Paige also built some roadsteers had an influence in the speed of this machine.

Corley5

A little adjustment to the governor and an H Farmall will go that fast  ;) ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Stan

It's the orchard tractors that are the speed demons. They would fill the wagon with fruit in the morning, then drive straight to the market without transferring the load to a truck. The guy who got there first got the best price.  ;)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

shopteacher

What tractor had a high compression engine that was cooled by oil?

Corley5

Corley5

What new model tractor introduced in 1947 did Oliver build 1,300 of before restyling it to match the other new models that came out shortly after it with a different styling?  

Duane_Moore

:-[ :-[ Who needed the Exhaust for the M-M G-B ot G-T??  sorry forgot who needed it , anyway have a source for who ever it way,   :-[ :-[Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

yieldmap

Corley,
That would be the Oliver 88.
Dad and I are Oliver collectors, and have a couple of those.  In fact, we have a Row Crop with a wide front axle (special front axle for 47, with a cast center), a Standard model, and the Industrial model with #1 serial number.  Seriously, SN #1.  Quite a catch on that one.

They're all restored and run well.

If you're looking for one, we're selling a '47 Row Crop 88 on an auction in July.

yieldmap

yieldmap

Here's one for you.  Which Oliver model was produced in 1953 by "using up old components?"  They used the "new style" 6 cylinder engine, and bolted the "old style" 4 speed transmission on the back.  When they run out of transmissions, they then began production with the "new" 6 speed transmission.

How many of these did they build with a Diesel engine?

How many with a Gas?

yieldmap

Corley5

Yieldmap,  We've got a 48 Old Style 88 too.  Ours isn't restored yet but it's complete including the side curtains.  It was right around the 1,200th one made.  Sounds like you've got a really nice collection.  Most of our tractors are red but other colors are represented ;) ;D
Duh-Duane,  I'm the one looking for a GTB gasoline manifold.  Tell me more please

Corley5

What was the famous Handshake Agreement, what two men shook on it, to what did it pertain, and what happened in the end ??? ???

shopteacher

Henery Ford and Harry Ferguson deal allowed Ford to incorporate Ferguson's hydraulic hitch system on the Ford 9N introduced in 1939.  Forced other manufactors to develop similar systems.

shopteacher

Who had the longest production run? How long was it? How many units were manufactored?

Corley5

Harry and Henry's deal fell apart.  The 8N was introduced still using the Ferguson System.  Harry began building his own tractors the TO 20 and filed suit against Henry.  He eventually won but was awarded only a portion of the damages he sought and as part of the ruling the patent rights were removed and all companies were able to adopt the 3 pt hitch.  Harvester however elected to use their own 2pt fast hitch which was doomed because even though it was an excellent system they wouldn't license aftermarket companies to make fast hitch equipment.  Harry Ferguson merged his company with Massey Harris.  Actually it was more of a take over of Ferguson by MH but one that Ferguson had solicited.  This deal led to Massey Ferguson becoming at one time the largest tractor manufacturer in the world.  

SwampDonkey

We had a MF combine, then went totally John Deere. I don't know of any MF deeler here locally. Its mainly Deere and Case, New Holland and Kabota are minor dealers. They have better financing than auto dealers, and a tractor with 60 HP + has no tax.

Corley5

Shopteacher,  For longest production run I'm thinking of the Farmall Cub which was made in various configurations from it's intro in 1947 until being discontinued in 1979.  Lots were made.
MF was bought by Agco a few years back.  They are still making tractors.  They were never as popular in North America as in the rest of the world.

Corley5

What serial# did all production IH tractors start with?

Weekend_Sawyer

I got that answer!!! 501

but I don't know why ???

Corley5

8) 8) 8) 8)  You got it WS

shopteacher

Corley5:
  My source says the John Deere D was the longest production run. It was made for 3 decades and 162,000 were sold.  Thirty years is a long run - even for a Deere!

Thank You Sponsors!