iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood I.D.

Started by Wick, January 14, 2014, 09:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wick

Ok Ya'll !! What ya think? I think it will be easy for you.
I'm holding my guess so I won't be wrong in front of the experts  :)

I think this one is different?

Timber Harvester 30HT25

Den-Den

I will make a guess of Sycamore.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Dodgy Loner

My guess is beech for the first and sycamore for the last, but to be honest, it is impossible to say with certainty with all of that wood in the rough. If you planed it and cut cleanly cut the end grain, things would be much clearer.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

The spiral grain leads me to sycamore, too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Wick

I tried to get good pictures, but your right the end grain is rough and hard to see. I thought the checks and cracks would help with the ID based on drying characteristics.
Had not thought of sycamore, interesting. Never worked with sycamore.
So do you think the last picture is the same wood or different? It is a really orange color and the others seem to have a whiter base.
Also thought the bark in the first picture would help.
After looking again, could there be 3 species?
Thanks
Timber Harvester 30HT25

WDH

I think that it is all the same.  Sycamore.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

The first one looks like beech with the smooth gray bark there and it sure checks a lot like beech in the firewood pile. That's just going by bark as I can't see the grain to be sure. The rest is up in the air, can't see the grain. Beech , yellow birch and hard maple can be just as rippled grained as something with spiral. Split some and you'll soon find out.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

That bark in the first pic is why I went with beech. A clean end-grain picture would settle it in a hurry beech and sycamore both have distinctive end grain.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Wick

OK, will try to do some homework this weekend. Split some and clean the end grain.
Wish I would have set the particular ones aside, now there all stacked together.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

MIsawyer

im going with sycamore

Red Clay Hound

The last pic definitely looks like sycamore.  The others I'm not as sure about.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

OneWithWood

I am on the sycamore train.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

OH Boy

someone told me Sycamore does not check, and cookies don't split when they dry. Is that true? and if true, how is this Sycamore with the checking.

Not arguing with anyone's call cause I've no idea what this is. the Sycamore guesses brought up the question.

WDH

Take a pic of a quartersawn face where we can see the ray fleck.  The ray fleck in beech and sycamore is different. 

CalebL

The second pic looks like sweet gum to me.  I've milled a bunch of it.
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Thehardway

The first pic looks like beech on account of the bark and the color is darker than the sycamore around here. Bark is not like gum at all.

Moving down, the pic with pieces all stacked beside each other, the one with the big knot and wavy check looks like some gum I have cut.

Beech will split easily, Gum will not.

I might also guess maybe maple in there with the smooth gray bark, the heartwood color and with the spalting style.  I'm no expert.  How heavy and hard is it?  Does it have a lot of tannin and stain your hands black?  Beech will.  Sycamore, gum and maple won't.

Are you sure it is all the same kind of wood?
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

WDH

I still think beech or sycamore. 

Wick

I actually took some pictures of one like in the first picture. It may actually be the one, I saved it. The others have been turned to ashes already. Anyway I have pictures with a smooth face to see if end grain could be identified. I will try to post them today. Thanks.

BTW, I forgot about splitting it.  >:(
Timber Harvester 30HT25

thecfarm

That little bit of bark on the first picture looks like beech. Beech is a hard wood to split. It's a real stringy wood. Does not open up clean.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wick

It is real heavy. Seems dense too. I will try to split a piece this weekend.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Wick

Here are the pics wth a cleaner face.

Timber Harvester 30HT25

WDH

I think that we have to chalk up another one for Dodgy.  Looks like beech from the last pics  :)  ;D.

SwampDonkey

Yip, beech is beech.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

hacknchop

I also think the first pc is beech look for characteristic flecks much like hrd mpl and yellow birch as for sicamore only ever milled it once 20 yrs ago but the beech does grow on some of the islands in lake huron so I have milled some.
Often wrong never indoubt

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on March 31, 2014, 11:46:23 PM
I think that we have to chalk up another one for Dodgy.  Looks like beech from the last pics  :)  ;D.

8) What do I win? :D

Thank You Sponsors!