iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A trail in eastern Kentucky

Started by Phil, February 07, 2002, 08:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

I thought some of you southeasterners who backpack might like to know about a new trail:  the Pine Mountain Trail.  It'll ultimately run from Elkhorn City, Kentucky to Cumberland Gap (120) miles, but 38 miles are already open.

I was an avid backpacker while I was going to forestry school at UT Knoxville, but I had to abandon this diversion when I moved to eastern KY, simply because good trails were in such short supply.

I, for one, was tickled pink when I discovered the PMT, and I thought somebody around here might also like to hear about it.  http://www.pinemountaintrail.com/ has a little more info on it.

Phil

Phillip Meeks
~Freelance natural resources writer~
http://www.phillipmeeks.com/

swampwhiteoak

I understand they've been trying to get that trail going for a while.  

My favorite trail system in the area is the John Muir trail in the Big South Fork National Rec. Area.  One of these days I'm gonna take a few weeks off work and hike the Sheltowee trace, a 250 mile trail that spans most of the Daniel Boone National Forest.  Actually, by the time I get around to taking a few weeks off work they'll probably have the pine mountain trail done :-/

Phil

Yes, Big South Fork is on my to-do list as a place to go backpacking, too.  I have the Coleman/Smith book on the trails in there, but have only done a bit of day hiking so far.

Phil

Don P

Hey Charlie, can I retire soon?
Thanks for the post Phil, in my back yard. Got a new set of brakes and a crease in the seat last time over thataway.
8)Day hiker ::)

CHARLIE

Don_P, I'm the wrong guy to ask!  I ain't ever done it before and I'm gonna be a newby trying to fit in with all the other retireeeeeees. I hear I'm gonna be busier than ever but can make my own schedule.:o  The one person that can't retire is my wife. She has to keep working so I can continue to live in the manner of which I've grown accustomed. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!