iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 440 Skidder - what is your opinion on them?

Started by Mountain_d, January 13, 2014, 09:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountain_d

I am still Skidder shopping and learning lots looking around and kicking tires. What do you folks think about John Deere 440. I like the size but I have heard they can be finicky in the area of hydraulics, harder to work on than a TJ and parts more expensive. Would a 440 be much easier on fuel than a 3-53 Detriot? I do not need wads of power so a less powerful machine that is cheaper to run would be better for me (I do fuel wood cuts mostly in tree marked areas). I heard the hydraulic disconnect can go on the 440 making them hard to start in the winter? Any other common problems on a 440 I should look for? I pretty much have it down to a TJ230, Clark 664 or the JD 440. What are your thoughts ? Thanks in advance.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

treechopper40

hi first off the clarks are a great machine but the autos are a bit harder on fuel I had a 664c it would pull with a 640d john deere all day long I seen a 666c clark ranger pull a 640d john deere backwards like it wasn't even ther 640d was just spinning the clark never spun a wheel as for the 440 the hubs are know to strip out on the straight 440s and the a models too also the frames are prone to break over the front axle and check where the steering cyls hook to the back part of the frame ther will be 2 bolts that loosen up on them ther a good machine if its been taken care of as for the 230 that would be my first choice the 353 is just about the same for fuel consumption as the 440 but the clark will burn a little more
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

rvolek

I would also go towards the TJ. For the most part, easy to work on, easy on and off based on design, and easy on fuel.
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

Maine logger88

440s are a good little machine very nimble but expensive to fix and fairly tippy in steep ground if it were me I'd go with a Timberjack
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

KyLogger

Currently running a 440B, I have found it to be very reliable. It is without a doubt the single best starting diesel engine in cold weather I have ever owned. I have had very good luck with it, the hydraulics are a little touchy sometimes but other than that the winches are very reliable, it has a good engine, and tranny (mine is a synchro torque). Parts are not all that bad to find, most of the parts on the 440, 440A and B models crossed over to ag. tractor parts. My local dealer is pretty good with finding the older parts, and I have got a guy 1 1/2 hrs away that specializes in 70's and up JD forestry and tracked equipment. That being said it is the only skidder I have ever owned. I have ran a couple others and I do like the fact that alot of TF, TJ and Clark parts are available at NAPA and the like.

Just my $0.02

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

thenorthman

I'm liking my 440a, gets about 4 gallons to the load (when the fuel tank isn't leaking...long story), its nimble, the open diff in the front makes it super nimble (the power shift has open front and year).  The steer cylinder connecting points on mine have been welded up, and the frame has been welded in several places.  It is pretty tippy, so be careful making sharp turns with a heavy load, and pulling from the side is a no no, try to be as straight on with the drag as possible while winching.

As far as the hydraulics being an issue in the winter, there is a t handled screw on top of the hydraulic pump you just turn it down until it compresses the by pass valve a little bit, and then she spins up really fast.  The pump is just behind the front grill that comes off with just one hand tightened bolt.  The other problem with the hydraulics is... it only holds like 9 gallons of fluid, that runs the brakes, steering and blade, if you get about a two gallons low, its gets real interesting to turn or stop, it will still turn and stop just maybe not as fast as you may like... or need...  in other words take care of leaks before they get out of hand and check the fluid daily or twice daily if you're going to be running it all day.
well that didn't work

KyLogger

Mine has several leaks ;D Ever lost EVERYTHING while sitting on a hill?!?! The first few times make for a real butt puckering experience!!! Mine is going to be welded for the steering cylinders in the AM ( I lost two hoses today, one new one) because the hole was wallered out and letting the cylinder move for and aft (like the nautical terminology? :D )
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

duckslayingpro

I have a 440a I absoluty love it. The darn things starts so easy even when really cold. Hardly burns 3-4 gallon to make a load. Its very nimble. Winch is very good. Good all around little skidder. But so are the others mentioned. The ole 440 is probably just the cadilac of the group IMO.

thenorthman

Quote from: KyLogger on January 13, 2014, 10:36:48 PM
Mine has several leaks ;D Ever lost EVERYTHING while sitting on a hill?!?! The first few times make for a real butt puckering experience!!! Mine is going to be welded for the steering cylinders in the AM ( I lost two hoses today, one new one) because the hole was wallered out and letting the cylinder move for and aft (like the nautical terminology? :D )

Yup, was working some particularly steep dirt over the summer, blew the hose that feeds the brakes, lost enough to loose steering and whole works in about 3 minutes, luckily I was dragging line at the time and noticed all the oil leaking everywhere, had some trouble bleeding them so I ended up nearly finishing that job just using the winching brake and the blade, until I could figure out the proper way to bleed them.

I love that feeling of 7th-8th gear about half throttle on a winding skid road when you suddenly can't turn right or stop... good thing the mud was only a few feet deep... :D
well that didn't work

BargeMonkey

We have 11.5k hours on a 440D deere, and if you use it responsibility she will last forever. Started right up in -5 the other day, burns almost no fuel. The only downside to these was the 3325 winches, parts are pretty easy to get. I would avoid an A or B. There is a fair amount of difference between a C and D also.

redprospector

My little 440B has been a good one for the last 7 years. If I'm working it hard on long turns, it'll use about 15 gallons a day. My winch is a little touchy but works well with just a little attention once in a while. If you're only going to put air in your tires, you'll be soiling your drawers on a regular basis. I took the money I was spending on drawers and bought some drums of winter blend windshield washer fluid, put it in the rear tires and my 440 became quite stable.
I work mostly on thinning projects (fuel reduction), so the size of the 440 is perfect for me. I've never had a problem with the hydraulic disconnect, but if you keep good batteries and starter in it, she'll spin over and start good in about any weather. John Deere is proud of their parts, always have been, and I don't figure it'll get any better.
All in all I think the 440 is a good little skidder......if you remember that it's a "little skidder", and treat it like one.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

David-L

I had a 440B for awhile and liked it. if the brakes are up to snuff IMO there is none better. Nimble, good starting, low fuel consumption, good visibility for decking logs. things to consider are parts availibility, and if you are running a fuelwood operation you will be on and off the machine alot and in my younger days that was ok. you do have to climb on this machine and I have tipped mine on the landing after snow and running over a stump that was covered with snow. happened so quick I couldn't' believe it. A good machine though.
I am now running Timberjacks as parts are easy to get and the getting on and off is real easy. Detroits are Detroits and are actually an amazing engine if taken care of ( oil changes and tuned correctly ) and they like to be up on the governor alot where there power band is. 18.4x26 and 16.9x30 tires are alot cheaper than the bigger ones also and thats all you need for a small operation. Good luck, I always wanted a 440D as they are longer and you could fill the rears or wheel weight them and run the 18.4x26 on them. Good luck.

David L
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

BargeMonkey

2 -18.4x26 tires = 3k mounted. Cant beat that. The 440's are great skidders, but I cant put enough wood out in a day with one. The day is coming in my area where the detroits will be gone, the homeowners dont wanna hear it, and alot of the new contracts stipulate "oil leaks and excessive noise". I can hear my 353 from 5 miles away on a good day. The next time that engine makes a hiccup its getting a 4BTA heart transplant.

Mark K

Bargemonkey-I just bought a franklin 405 from a dealer north of oneida lake. Has a 4bt Cummins.  It was -7 the day I went to look at it. Covered in snow, hadn't been started in days. Let her go thru its cycle and she started right up. Made the deal that day. As far as 440's go, there more operator friendly than the tj's. But felt more comfortable on my 225 tj on steep ground then the 440. Thats probably why I rolled it! I can laugh about it now.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

BargeMonkey

Mine likes cold down to about 15-20, then after that it should be plugged in for a while. Thats the most stable small skidder ive ever run, I get close to a week out of a tank of fuel, and the winches are nothing to sneeze at for power.

FFLM

I have run a few 440s and just one jack, my 208.  Climbing on and off a 440 all day really stinks! My jack feels way more stable.  I would be looking for a nice 225 or 230 without a screaming D.  I've got one, great motor but man does it get old hearing that thing scream!
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

HiTech

I see no one mentioned a Tree Farmer. They are a good skidder. C4 or C5. They are fairly easy to work on and parts are cheap. They are sure footed and get around decent. If you can find one with a Deutz motor they are even better. They really sip fuel. Gearmatic winches on them are decent. For the money they are hard to beat. The only draw back is they are not fancy, plain Jane's and many like fancy.

David-L

The Duetz is a great motor, If you buy one listen for knocking in the bottom end and look at the fins on the jugs to be sure they are clean and oil free. if they are plugged up you can have potential problems with heat scoring the jugs and any oil is a sign of a blown fire ring. This usually is at that back cylinders which are #1 and #2. Not a bad job to do but if you pull the head and jug the deck height needs to be set upon reassembly. The knocking is mains worn and a rebuild is expensive but you can get lots of hrs 10k plus on these motors. i have only had one five cylinder Duetz and the power was very good even at low rpms and pulled hard. I did the two rear jugs and was not all that bad thanks to kiko's help and advice awhile back. Good luck.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Mark K

My C7D has a deutz six cylinder turbo. Real easy on fuel. As said the machine is simple to work on. I wouldn't be affraid of buying another. Dont really miss the screaming detriot. At can actually talk on the phone while im skidding! 
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Reddog

Quote from: Mountain_d on January 13, 2014, 09:09:01 PM
I pretty much have it down to a TJ230, Clark 664 or the JD 440. What are your thoughts ?

The order you have them listed is the order 1-3 that I would buy, TJ being first from repair and easy entry.

440's are good machines but as pointed out tippy and take some getting use too there.

Another option that may get you a newer machine and more options for use at other times could be a 4x4 farm tractor with a Farmi or Uniforest skid winch. There are other brands but those two I am familiar with.
The 440 was a 4020 motor and powershift trans if I remember right, so around 60hp.
Skid plates and roll cab are easily added buy many fab shops.
Just another avenue that has worked for some of us here quite well.

loggah

Getting in and out of a john deere 440  is like getting into  sardine can,with the chance of getting skun up if you got chains on the front tires!!Theyalso arereal tippy on steep ground, you cant come down a steep grade without having your blade a few inches off the ground. I have seen then roll end over end coming down a steep ravine, you have to have loaded rear tires or the rear rim weights john deere offered. John Deere does make one of the best diesel engines out there. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Maine logger88

The 440 and 4020 tractor had different engines the 440b had a 4-239 4 cylinder and the 4020 had a 6-404 6 cylinder the 440 was about 60 HP and as far as the power shift 440s they probly did share the same trans I'm not sure on that tho cause I've only seen a couple of those most I've been around were synchro shift
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

snowstorm

Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 15, 2014, 07:23:01 PM
The 440 and 4020 tractor had different engines the 440b had a 4-239 4 cylinder and the 4020 had a 6-404 6 cylinder the 440 was about 60 HP and as far as the power shift 440s they probly did share the same trans I'm not sure on that tho cause I've only seen a couple of those most I've been around were synchro shift
nope     440 a and b used a 219 engine 70hp  b  was turbo charged  the first 440 could have been gas or diesel 60hp. i have only seen a couple power shift 440's. i wouldnt buy one. seems like it was the sames trans they used in a backhoe 500a maybe

Reddog

KyLogger

The 4020 was a six cylinder, rated at around 84hp at the motor and 90 something at the PTO. I think the turboed 4219 that the 440B mine has is rated at 70hp. I think they used that six cylinder from the 4020 in the 540A's. Not exactly sure.

Thank You Sponsors!