iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing big logs

Started by Qweaver, January 13, 2014, 07:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Rock called me this eve to say that he will have the big red oaks ready to saw by Wed.  So I'll get the Peterson up on the trailer tomorrow.  The biggest log is 45" on the big end. The logs are totally sound and should make beautiful lumber.  We will get as much quarter sawn as possible.  I hope that I can lift some of the smaller logs so that I do not have to move the saw four times. 
I will need to use water on the blade,  how will I keep the water from freezing?

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Put windshield washer fluid in your water by day.....take your water jugs home at night.
Trust me.....my jugs turned to bricks when I didn't take them home.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I would start with a warm jug. Window washer would help too. If real cold a blanket over the top,around it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

RV antifreeze is another option.  Ditto the recommendations to put the water jug inside at night.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Peter Drouin

I use WW fluid in the winter for decades and never had a problem even at -10 cutting frozen logs  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Peter Drouin

How do you get 1/4 sawn lumber with a peterson. I can see when you start, but after you cut the top do you turn the log?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Qweaver

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 14, 2014, 05:55:03 PM
How do you get 1/4 sawn lumber with a peterson. I can see when you start, but after you cut the top do you turn the log?
Almost the entire log can be quarter sawn with a swinger and it is never turned.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

thecfarm

Peter,must be a youtube on it. First one I saw I was fascinated by it. I asked that poor guy more questions. I tried to explain it to some guy at work that had worked in a sawmill. He could not understand the cutting part of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Qweaver

A swinger cuts horizontal and vertical which lets you make these cuts resulting in mainly quarter sawn.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

kensfarm

I use straight WW fluid in the winter now..  I was getting clogged at the valve w/ the mix.. even after keeping it inside overnight.  Now I can just leave it out.. don't have to take anything apart. 

dboyt

I've been playing with the idea of venting some of the exhaust heat around the water jug.  It'd keep it from freezing while running the mill, at least.  I have a friend who did that with his hydraulic reservoir, and it helps a lot.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

beenthere

dboyt
WW fluid doesn't work? Doubt it would freeze if used straight.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Clark

Quote from: beenthere on January 15, 2014, 03:18:23 PM
dboyt

It's the mix of washer fluid and water that doesn't freeze.  Straight water or washer fluid will freeze at higher temperatures than the mix.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

beenthere

Quote from: Clark on January 15, 2014, 04:49:03 PM
Quote from: beenthere on January 15, 2014, 03:18:23 PM
dboyt

It's the mix of washer fluid and water that doesn't freeze.  Straight water or washer fluid will freeze at higher temperatures than the mix.

Clark

??   'splain that one to me, pls.  I don't get it (and I use straight WW fluid in my cars all the time... that is straight from the mfg bottle that says -20°F  ).  What am I missing here?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

switched to straight right before the hard freeze two weeks ago, no issue here with freezing,  the batteries had a bit of a struggle but managed.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I always purge and flush out my Lubemizer with straight -20° WW fluid at the day's end.  My bottle is a 50% mixture of water and -20° WW fluid.  That works in my area where the temps seldom get into the teens.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jbeat

Quinton,  When it comes time to re-tip a blade try replacing the 3/16 width tips with 1/4 in. ones. I've used the 1/4 in. for four years and rarely use any water lube.
John B

boscojmb

Hi Quinton,
I'm new to the Forestry forum, and my question is probably stupid.
Is there any reason why you can't use #2 off road fuel or diesel instead of something water based.
As far as I know everyone running a band mill with steel band wheels is using #2 fuel oil.
Conditions change, but on average I use .5 Qt per 1000 BF. And my blades do not gum up or get hot.
Please forgive me for my ignorance.
Thank You,
John
John B.

Log-Master LM4

Magicman

Hello boscojmb, and Welcome to the Forestry forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

boscojmb,welcome to the forum.What have you got for a mill? By the way there are some of us that have belts on our wheels and is using half diesel and half bar and chain oil. oh the horrors of it all.  ;D Blade lube is almost as good as a debate on what kind of oil mix to use with your chainsaw on the chainsaw board. Than to that one a step more,40:1 or 50:1.  ;D

Clark

Quote from: beenthere on January 15, 2014, 05:05:27 PM
??   'splain that one to me, pls.  I don't get it (and I use straight WW fluid in my cars all the time... that is straight from the mfg bottle that says -20°F  ).  What am I missing here?

I was referencing straight antifreeze, not the premixed stuff. I misread the original statement(s) and was thinking straight antifreeze and not WW fluid.  Naturally, it all comes premixed anymore. Here's a good explanation of why straight antifreeze does not protect to colder temps than a mix of water and antifreeze:

http://www.ssgm.com/news/how-does-antifreeze-work-anyway/1000114380/?&er=NA

Clark

SAF Certified Forester

scsmith42

Quote from: boscojmb on January 15, 2014, 09:37:45 PM
Hi Quinton,
I'm new to the Forestry forum, and my question is probably stupid.
Is there any reason why you can't use #2 off road fuel or diesel instead of something water based.
As far as I know everyone running a band mill with steel band wheels is using #2 fuel oil.
Conditions change, but on average I use .5 Qt per 1000 BF. And my blades do not gum up or get hot.
Please forgive me for my ignorance.
Thank You,
John

Hi John, welcome to the Forum!  I think that Quinton is on a road trip, so I'll share my thoughts re your question (I also run a Peterson).

Most swing blade mills use a higher volume of water than band mills for cooling, due to the increased size of the blade contact area and the fact that tension in the log will bind down on the 26" diameter circle blade a lot more than on a 1-1/4" wide band.  So there is a lot more blade metal that needs to be cooled, especially if you are cutting wide boards.  I typically go through 2 - 3 gallons of water per hour when milling, or 10 - 15 gallons per day.  Diesel fuel would be cost prohibitive at that rate.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!