iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This will be a fun job…….Nail Heaven…..in Church.( new pics )

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 13, 2014, 05:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

In the city of York, 6 miles from my mill, re-construction is under way to completely rebuild the interior of the Presbyterian Church Sanctuary built back in 1864.
I got a call to go look at this job.....yep....they need a sawmill.

Termite problems plagued the Pine flooring, floor joist and basically every where, but only in certain places.

The floor was taken up and most was able to be saved except for about 1/3 which has to be thrown away.
So when the wood workers were replacing old rotten hand hewed floor joist with new modern joist.......they decided to replace some of the good hand hewed joist. The good hand hewed joist they took out, will be re-sawn to replace the flooring that had to be thrown away.

Some of these joist are 12" x 12" x 16 foot and others are only 3" x 12" x 12 foot and 16 foot.
All need to be re-sawn to 1-1/4" thick x 5-3/4" x long.

These wood workers do nothing but this kind of work and understand the nail factor. In fact, they have 2 guys that do nothing but nail hunt with detectors.....but they know some will be missed.
All the flooring will be re-planed with T&G applied. The whole sanctuary is set up like a giant wood working shop with everything the workers could ask for......except a sawmill.  ;D

I'll bet I couldn't come close to guessing what this over all job is costing.  :o

I'm charging $50.00/hour plus blades.
Enjoy the pics.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

julio

that looks like a great job, hope everything works out . 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

clww

What a great, interesting job this should be for you. :)
How much does an ancient 12 X 12 X 16' beam weigh?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Chief, I have no idea what one of those beams weigh.

but one thing I forgot to say was.....50 years ago, I used to walk 1/4 mile to this same church from my elementary school at 3pm twice a week, to take Piano lesson from the church's music director.
So there is a little history here for me too.  :)

Yep....back in 1963, a 7 year old could walk the streets with no fear.

beenthere

QuoteHow much does an ancient 12 X 12 X 16' beam weigh?

Rough figure, 50 lb/cuft so in the neighborhood of 800 lbs.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

Nice Job, are they going to bring the beams to you or are you going there with the mill?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 13, 2014, 06:58:38 PM
Nice Job, are they going to bring the beams to you or are you going there with the mill?

They are gonna bring them to me Peter......thank goodness.  :)
The church is in the city limits....permit for me would be involved plus I would have to set up in the parking lot where Moms bring there kids to the church kindergarden. So me taking the mill to church was kinda far from discussion.  :)

****I saw some very nice 1864 Pine stock that was thrown into a pile bound for the dumpster. I'm goon see if they will give me this stuff for some tables, etc.*****

Wellmud

Not sure how it is in S.C., but around here if you work in the city limits (depending on the size of the town) you would have to pay their city tax :(
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

Nomad

POSTON, what a coincidence.  I committed to a job a couple of weeks ago, to start in the near future, to resaw beams from buildings in the Carolinas.  Some of the beams are about the same size.
    Mine isn't for a church, it's for a company specializing in old wood like that.  And this is local for me, not up your way.  They got a bunch and a pile of these beams!  Maybe the same buildings?
     These folks got a team de-nailing the beams.  I know I'll still hit metal they missed, but they're trying hard to get it all.
     And as it happens, I'm charging the exact same as you are.
     HEY!!!  Before you start thinking we might be related, remember I've met you before.  Don't go there! :D  (And Danny, you stay out of this.) ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Since we are kin.....do your old cars come into play?.......'Ol Brother, 'Ol Pal?  :D

WDH

OK, I am staying out of this.  I just almost posted something about needing to be fixed, but chose not to after heeding your warning  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 13, 2014, 09:52:54 PM
I just almost posted something about needing to be fixed, but chose not to ..... :D.

Oh, I would loved to hear that one.  :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nomad

WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

warren46

It must be time for this kind of job.  I am doing something very similar.  A customer is planning to build a new house just up the road from where I live.  He located a "free" log barn that he thought would make great flooring for the home.  All I needed to do is go pick up the logs, pull the nails, saw to lumber, dry, plane and tongue and groove the wood.  It will not be free when I get done.  Here are some pics. of the progress to date.

The first of three loads of beams.

On the hunt for nails.  I spent more time looking for metal than sawing.

Found a big one.  That nail is laying on a beam that is eight inches wide.

About a quarter of the beams were eighteen feel long.

I have to admire the skill of the builders of this barn.  The accuracy of the beams is impressive.  I generally got a consistent four boards out of each beam.

Loaded up and ready to haul to the Kiln. They will dry to 10 percent and kill anything that may be living in the wood.  The beams were sopping wet when I sawed.   It rained all of the way so I got all of the mud off of my truck.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG Warren....I hear ya! That's a nice load.
How many BF?
Are you taking it to Ellis?

warren46

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 14, 2014, 04:27:16 PM
DanG Warren....I hear ya! That's a nice load.
How many BF?
Are you taking it to Ellis?

I did not do a tally but I think it is about 1500 board feet.  Yes I took it out to Ellis.  Scott seems like a knowledgeable guy and the price is reasonable.  He thought 3 days in the kiln will bring it down to about 10%.  The drive was not as long as I thought.

Warren
Warren E. Johnson

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The 1864 beams and lumber started coming in this afternoon. Gonna have 8-12 loads.
Some of this stuff has a twist to it......literally.  :D

Its really not that bad of a sawing job......I've hit 3 nails so far......I guess its a little aggravating as you would expect.

The 1-1/4" boards I'm producing look very nice.....I just can't get over the musty smell of this old Pine though.
So I just tape a $100.00 dollar bill under my nose......makes the job smell better.

WDH

$100 is too cheap for that job.  Even a plain old oak slab fetches $300  :).

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This crowd will have at least $100.00 in just blade charges.  :D
I'm circling every nail I hit with a crayon so it won't destroy his spiral planer.  :)

Nomad

I won't make a comment about the $100 bill, but I will say that's some nice looking lumber you're making David.  When this job comes in for me I hope it turns out as nice.
     Okay I lied.  If that bill came out of my wallet it would smell just as musty as that wood does.  The rest of the comments I'll keep to myself... :D
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

warren46

Having the beams sawn into boards is only the first step.  How is the Church going to have the lumber milled into flooring?
Warren E. Johnson

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The sanctuary is set up like a shop. Planers, T&G machine......it all can be done in church.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!