iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone got big wheels for their saw mill

Started by Red Good, January 13, 2014, 03:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Good

Got a guy not far from me that wanted to build a mill and bought 28 inch band wheels . Lost interest and now would like to sell them . New never used 1 drive wheel and 2 idler wheels ( shipping mistake ) for 750 dollars . Does this sound resonable to you guys . I have looked at the 19's and they were 175 each , with no pricing on larger wheels . What do you think ?
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Magicman

Get ready for higher priced blades, plus higher priced sharpening.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Trying to sell them or thinking of buying them?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

york

Red,what are these band-wheels? belted or all crowned steel-you should also find out where they came from...
Albert

Nomad

Red Good, if you are building a mill you need to keep in mind that you pretty much have to build the mill around the head you've designed.  Bigger wheels aren't a bad idea, but do you really want to "reinvent the wheel?"
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Bill Gaiche

I don't think I would want to build one that large. Everything you build around it will be larger and more expensive. The 19" wheels have proved themselves. Thats a lot of money for wheels if you really don't need that size. bg

DDobbs

Are they the ones from the St. Louis CL?
They have been for sale for at least 2yrs.

Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Red Good

DD yes they are the ones on the clist St. Louis , talked to him a couple of times and he won't come off the 750 price so I told him I was not interested .

So based on what everyone else uses and Bill's theory that 19's are used on lots of mills and are plenty good , who has the best price on 19 's  ? Linn Lumber at 175 a wheel ? Let me know what you guys think . Tia .Red
Stihl 211C saw
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

5quarter

If I were to built a second mill (which I will), I'd run with 25" steel wheels, wide enough to run a 2" band. Not cheap, but you're only buying them once. I have run 19" belted wheels for years and they get the job done. Just depends on what kind of production you want to make. as Bill said, bigger bandwheels will mean a bigger saw.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

backwoods sawyer

They do wear out I have two sets of crowned 24" wheels that have cracks, will make a good goat-kart.
I changed over to the belted wheels that cost about half as much and did not have an 8 week order time.
Only real reason to go with bigger wheels is so you can cut a thicker beam. The new 24" crowned wheels would have ran about $750 each. If the wheels have no cracks, the bearings are new and they have been freshly crowned then $750 is a reasonable price. Keep in mind that 28" will be too large for most machine shops to turn on their lathes.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Red Good on January 17, 2014, 10:42:19 PM
DD yes they are the ones on the clist St. Louis , talked to him a couple of times and he won't come off the 750 price so I told him I was not interested .

So based on what everyone else uses and Bill's theory that 19's are used on lots of mills and are plenty good , who has the best price on 19 's  ? Linn Lumber at 175 a wheel ? Let me know what you guys think . Tia .Red

Here's one for a good price:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Pulleys/Split-Taper-Bushed-Bore-Pulleys/18-75-O-D-H-BUSHING-SINGLE-GROOVE-PULLEY-1-BKH190.axd
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Red Good

So what width band blade would you be able to run on that one ? Could you run the 1 1/2 band blade on that ? Also I imagine that you run a belt on that pulley as a cushion and to prevent slip ?  Also there is no backing lip on this pulley is that normal , the blades run straight enough that it is not required ?

Thanks for answering so many questions . I appreciate it . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

schmism

Quote from: Red Good on January 17, 2014, 10:42:19 PM

HA!  talked to the same guy bout the same wheels which i agree, have been on STL CL for over 2 years.   

You would think at this point you would stop sitting on them and just get rid of them or finish the project and sell the finished mill.     deck he was buiding for it on the trailer axles was ridiculous in size
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Bill Gaiche

I believe that I was at your place today. Big metal building of iron post road. bg

Red Good

I heard that when we got back ! We were down by your place on Sunday cause Sheila and Jimmy told us there was a guy down there with a sawmill or building one , got to the gates and weren't sure where we were going so didn't . Amazing how small the world is !

If your going by anytime please feel free to stop in .

too funny !
Red
Stihl 211C saw
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Bill Gaiche

Yip that is me.  Go on thru the white gate on the left and follow the road all the way till you see my little red kiln. I have 10 acres back there. I live east of Chouteau across from the power plant. bg

5quarter

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on January 18, 2014, 02:17:31 AM

Only real reason to go with bigger wheels is so you can cut a thicker beam.

I didn't get this...I may need to crack a few more books to catch up.  ;) :P
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Bill Gaiche

Larger diameter wheels mean there is more distance between the top of the blade to the bottom, which means you can cut a thicker cant. bg

5quarter

Ok...I see now. Except that you don't generally make a beam with  the wood above the blade. generally, the beam is made with the wood between the bottom of the blade and the top of the bunks. side lumber comes off the throat side. I can make a beam as large as I can fit between my guides. At least that's how I do it.

Also, the throat depth depends just as much on how the main cross beam attaching the two wheels is configured as it does bandwheel size. Some saws have a simple straight beam attaching to the bandwheel hub at either end. others have a raised, inverted "U" shaped cross beam that provides a deeper throat.

It's my understanding that a larger bandwheel can run a wider, thicker blade with longer tooth spacing. as long as the saw has adequate power, it can saw faster regardless of the width of cut and thereby increase production. This is sawing 101 stuff, so if I'm wrong about any of this, please, somebody help me out. I'm not above going back to school if it means getting it right.  :P :P :)
Blue Harbor Refinishing

beenthere

Quotethe beam is made with the wood between the bottom of the blade and the top of the bunks.

Right... and if there is more distance "between the bottom of the blade and the top of the bunks" (i.e. larger wheels), then that beam can be larger as that distance increases. ;)   .. as I see it.
I think the point made was understood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on January 21, 2014, 06:44:28 AM
Larger diameter wheels mean there is more distance between the top of the blade to the bottom, which means you can cut a thicker cant. bg 
I took Bill's statement to mean what he said.  "you can cut a thicker cant", not necessarily that you can make a thicker cant.  You can saw through a thicker cant without removing previously sawn boards.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

5quarter

Beenthere...Which point are you talking about? I'm really trying to understand you. lets use my mill as an example. I've got 19" wheels, 27" between the guides, a 12.5" throat and 27" of head travel (maximum cut height above the bunks). theoretically, the largest cant/beam I can cut is 27"x27". Now lets say for arguments sake that I install 25" bandwheels on my saw. Now how big of a cant/beam can I make? The larger bandwheels in fact reduce the size of the cant to 24"x24". But the throat size increases to 15.5". The only way I can see to make a bigger cant/beam is to increase both the maximum distance between my guides and the maximum vertical travel of my sawhead. Bandwheel diameter does not come into play. It does however make for a larger throat, which would allow me to cut a thicker slab or increase the # of boards I can leave on a cant while I'm sawing. What am I misunderstanding?  ??? ;)
MM...True, if Bill was referring to throat size. not true if he was referring to the max distance above the bunks.

Red...Sorry for jumping into the weeds. Hopefully, I can find my way back to the garden path. ;) :)
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Magicman

QuoteMM...True, if Bill was referring to throat size. not true if he was referring to the max distance above the bunks.
I was not referring to the distance between the bunks and the cutting blade.  I was referring to the distance between the blade loop, which allows you to saw more boards from a cant before you have to remove them.

I removed my board dragback to increase this distance on my sawmill.  Having larger bandwheels could also increase this distance.  Everything depends upon our sawing market and product produced.

5quarter

Quote from: Magicman on January 21, 2014, 04:40:52 PM

...  I was referring to the distance between the blade loop, which allows you to saw more boards from a cant before you have to remove them.

Everything depends upon our sawing market and product produced.

MM...Exactly right.  :)
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Bill Gaiche

Maybe I should have been more clear. I was refering to the throat. Also larger wheels bend the bands in a larger circle and from what I have read which makes bands have less fatigue. bg

Thank You Sponsors!