iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tiny TSI Saw Choice

Started by jrb34, June 03, 2004, 04:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrb34

Has anyone used the new Husky 336? Seems to be the same saw as the 334T, only with a rear handle instead of a top handle. I'm looking for something very light for thinning a spruce stand, where my 11.5-pound saw is just plain tiring after an hour or so. Stihl's MS180 seems the comparable model; both are 8.5 pounds and twoish horsepower, but according to the Husky catalog the 334T uses a .325 chain instead of the low-profile 3/8 of the Stihl, meaning I wouldn't have to buy new files and guides. (Plus, my favorite Stihl mechanic jumped ship to a Husky dealer.)

Couldn't find any commentary on the forum about the 334T. Any strong feelings one way or the other?
Thanks
JRB

Rocky_J

You are incorrect about the chain, the 334 uses 3/8"lp. The top handle Huskies have never had a very good reputation, they are widely known for being tempermental and unreliable. I've known many climbers that own or used to own one and most seem to quit running right after 6-12 months.

An Echo 340 (top handle) or 345 (rear handle) will cost about $100 less and they are much more reliable.

Kevin

I have the 335, a little hard to start maybe 7-8 pulls but it runs ok as long as it's kept clean.
The newer saws have a fuel primer on them.
The muffler screen was plugging up until I put on a modified muffler.
I would opt for the 338 next time but it's a top handled saw .

jrb34

Rocky--
I'd forgotten about the Echo saws. The Bailey's catalog shows the 346 at 7.6 pounds, and the local Husky dealer who poached my Stihl mechanic is also an Echo dealer. With this saw, reliability will be more useful than extreme performance; how much performance do you need unzipping four-inch spruce?

Time to go shopping.
JRB

logbutcher

Hey there Mr Gray's !
Have had great success over 8 years with the Husky 136 for a climbing , light (very  ::) limbing saw, and small sapling/brush clearing saw.
Now, here's the offer: borrow the 136 for a few days +. Just keep the saw sharp. Period.
No sawing for awhile anyhow: bugs in the eyes and arthroscopy.
It's how things are done here.
"You know where I live" (Bogart)

Thank You Sponsors!