iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Very sick of this weather!!

Started by Woodhauler, January 13, 2014, 05:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I only went about about 10  minutes from here,but that is two towns, No posted roads,YET.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodboogah

Stayed home today.  The job I am on now is an hour drive so I figure save fuel and do some house stuff make my wife happy.  I see cold temps in the long range forecast.  Lets hope they are right
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Ken

Had to push trucks out of the jobsite today.  Usually this time of year if we have stuck trucks it is because of snow and/or ice.  Rain in the winter is not good but at least we can keep working.  -30+ kept us idle
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Maine logger88

Yup pretty bad when there posting roads in January
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

thecfarm

Remember this last year? I have it down as Jan 15,2013,just one year ago. Still no postings around here. I went into a couple small towns and did not see any postings. I saw was someone was cutting wood on a back road.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

there is always someone that thinks they have to haul when the temp is in the 40's. a few are exempt    milk trucks  oil trucks  school buses     and best of all plow and sand trucks we have no weight laws    0      none

jwilly3879

The neighbors are having septic problems and the contractor was there today trying to dig a new line for the leach field across the driveway, there was about 30" of frost where he actually got through it and then his machine broke. Our truck road has about 3" of ice on it and dirt where it wasn't driven on. Trucks have been able to make it with chains on but now need one on the front also, no snowbanks to help  turn.

Woodboogah

Got up in hopes of freezing temps.  33f and light drizzle.  I think even my dog is sick of this weather!
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

coxy

Quote from: snowstorm on January 16, 2014, 07:44:03 PM
there is always someone that thinks they have to haul when the temp is in the 40's. a few are exempt    milk trucks  oil trucks  school buses     and best of all plow and sand trucks we have no weight laws    0      none
the road boss in my town wont say anything if you hall on a road that is a little sloppy   but have to use good judgment  and you have to live in the town no out siders  ;D tends to get some people a little upset  :o

kensfarm

I thought I give it a shot today.. finishing salvaging 2 big oaks had some wood left in them.. I be able to get something out them.. spalted.. maybe.. sometimes all you get is questionable firewood for all your hard work.

kensfarm

This tree had a lot of burrs.. people like burrs in live edge slabs.. I'll cut this piece to pull out too.

kensfarm

It got muddy quick.. pulled 4 times.  This was def. a salvage effort.. sometimes you don't know until you cut into it.  I'll come back and take all firewood size stuff later.  The tree in the background had a hole in the side 25 feet up.. big enough to catch water.. when I cut the butt it was solid.. I got a 12 foot butt log... the rest was rotten.. it had come down from the Sandy storm.

kensfarm

I'll load these up and try not to get stuck.

kensfarm

Made it to the field road.. I had a few more I could have loaded on.. but I really didn't want to test the fates today.  I made chilly last night.. and I was getting hungry.

kensfarm

A muddy day.. but no equipment problems.. and I didn't get stuck.  My brother took this picture of me the other day.. he came over to cut firewood(for himself).. can't seem to get him to come logging w/ me.

kensfarm

A foot of new snow today..  single digit lows for the rest of the week.   Tomorrow..  gusts to 40mph..  the road will probably fill in w/ snow drift over night.. I've seen 12ft plus..  they had to bring in the earth movers then.. road stayed closed for over a week. 

KyLogger

It's -1 as I am typing, fuel from our supplier has been full of water and the skidder freezes up at night, have to thaw out with a torpedo heater and drain lines filters lift pump etc...... Then I get home last night and I am goin to feed the cows and hosses, start up the the hill on the farm tractor with a roll of hay and the *DanG thing chokes out (fuel froze up in it while it was running!!!) I was one mad *(#*&$(^@@&^#!!! I just can't get clean fuel around here no matter what I do. I filter it at the transfer tank,  I put treatment in every tank full, change out fuel filters on a regular basis......I am pulling my hair out.
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

David-L

My Valtra 900 tractor has a water seperator in the fuel system which is a pre-filter system and I can't beleive the water it can pick up. I drain it prior to the cold weather as it settles in the bottom of a glass like bowl. This tractor is from Finland and they must have to deal with cold temps constantly. I will take a pic when I am working today.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

ga jones

You guys up north can have this cold! -4 windy again I'm not even going to try today. We're just not set up for this. And don't want to be. LOL
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

kensfarm

Got the trailer stuck today.. had to unload the logs and set the trailer up on the field road.. and reload.. I hate having to do stuff twice.  Even w/ single digit temps this week..  the ground under the snow was unfrozen. 

Today was suppose to get up to 20.. so I headed out and found a nice oak to work on today.. Sandy blown.. main log was off the ground.  Now the dirt is frozen on the log.. I would normally brush off all that I could.

I finally made it back to the house..  my feet had gotten wet.. so they were getting cold.  I'll unload it tomorrow. 

timberlinetree

Was wearing a bandana over my face to help with the cold. I started to notice blurred vision in my left eye. Ice had formed on my eyelashes from my breath being deflected from the bandana. I love the cold but the machines get a little cranky when starting :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!