iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mostly a good day in the woods

Started by DDDfarmer, January 12, 2014, 10:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDDfarmer

Took advantage of the heat wave today.  -2°c for the high today, almost too hot to work but want to stay ahead on the firewood.  One spot on the skid trail I have to climb a steep ridge, cleats on the tire rings do a lot of chewing sometimes to climb empty.  It just made the trip interesting, some trips just went up with no slip and others chew chew chew lol.  Well today I went to get just one more trip.

Just spun and slid onto or around ??? a 12-14" birch.  Tree was behind the tires and up to the cab   ;D  Guess if you are going to do something do it right lol.   

Fustrating but couldn't help but laugh the whole time.   
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

thecfarm

Now I see it. I have heard of it happening before.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Bummer.
I suspect that birch isn't there anymore.  ;D

Or maybe you didn't have the chainsaw along?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Decked

Been there-done that...quite frustrating actually... ::)

coxy

David-L

DDDfarmer, one less paper birch on the planet I assume. Most Timberjack 200 series have a dented fuel tank because of this scenario. Is that a C-5. Heat wave aye!!!

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

logman81

Precision Firewood & Logging

lynde37avery

almost looks like a cat from the back. but yea I don't know I done that sliding into the tree, gets ya all fired up n mad. just cut er down n keep climbing.
Detroit WHAT?

OntarioAl

DDDfarmer
Been there done that more than once over the years..
David  L my 230  wears that badge of honor on its fuel tank. 
Al
Al Raman

Ed_K

Last time my skidder was in that postion,it was a 16" softmaple which is still there,cause there was a 4' drop on the other side  >:(.
How'ed I get out of that mess?  ;D
Ed K

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Alcranb

They grow trees in the damnedest of places!
How's that go....been there, done that, got the T shirt.   :-X
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

cutter88

Quote from: DDDfarmer on January 12, 2014, 10:11:10 PM
Took advantage of the heat wave today.  -2°c for the high today, almost too hot to work but want to stay ahead on the firewood.  One spot on the skid trail I have to climb a steep ridge, cleats on the tire rings do a lot of chewing sometimes to climb empty.  It just made the trip interesting, some trips just went up with no slip and others chew chew chew lol.  Well today I went to get just one more trip.

Just spun and slid onto or around ??? a 12-14" birch.  Tree was behind the tires and up to the cab   ;D  Guess if you are going to do something do it right lol.   

Fustrating but couldn't help but laugh the whole time.

were in burksfalls Ontario cutting g it was pretty wet they shut us down at 2 said it was sloppy and they didn't want trail damage so we will try again tomorrow! were in Ontario r u from
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

DDDfarmer

Tried to winch myself off but gravity and all that.... not going to work.  Didn't want to cut, working downhill of the tree and skidder plus 2' of snow.  Left the winch tied to the tree and under pressure and lots of pressure on the blade. Cut the tree just enough to start to lean.  The best part.... it was two trees together one up and downhill.  Pushed the trees with the tire one fell out and one fell over the rear axle with the butt under the front.  Lots of chewing and worming around finally made it out..

That is a C5C, can't find any info on the C series but lots on the D series.  I have found lots of info and pictures on the D's and the all look like my C.

I'm north of Cochrane so just over 5 hour drive north from Burksfalls. No rain today but +2, wanted to get out with the skidder after work today but wasn't able to. 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

DDDfarmer

KyLogger

Welcome to the club! ;D  I haven't ever done anything like that  :D
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

DDDfarmer

Well done that now...  Been up on two tires a few times..  Driving in some brush with the blade about 16" high, found a stump that was 20" glad I wear my hard hat cause I hit the cross bar just under the muffler.  Had a stick come up under the floor and lift the floor pan till my knees were up to my chest.  Blade lifted a tree and the top came over the hood into the cab and went past my shoulder and broke at the top/back of the cab. 

But I guess if you never do anything you will never have any stories.. Few of my buddies have a lot of stories and some scars to go with them. ;D

CX3

I've never done that (on a tree that small) lol

I usually wrap around a giant tree that's always a blast
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

treechopper40

oh yeah I been ther more than once that's when you get under the skidder on your belly and cut the tree and keep skidding
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

luvmexfood

Never ran a skidder but have did similiar on a farm tractor. One incident with a four wheeler I had was going off a steep hill. Old four wheeler, were talking chain driven old. Two sapling growing and I thought I could go between them. Front did, middle did, back didn't. Wedged in tight. Could not back out. By myself, no saw. Don't remember exactly how but somehow cut it off, put it in a higher gear or something and pulled on one sapling and the four wheeler gently rolled forward until I could get to the brake and stop it.

One of those "watch this" moments".
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

FFLM

Yup, I could say I did that once but I'd be lying it was twice!
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

Thank You Sponsors!