iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Something Mom never warned us about......

Started by tree-farmer, January 12, 2014, 07:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree-farmer

This may be something obvious to our northern member but not so much down south. This past week we had (negitive) -3 degree temeratures here in Western NC mountains and one of my co-workers learned something the hard way.
Seems he had planned ahead and plugged in his Diesel truck so it would start ok the next morning. When he went out in the dark to un-hook it and go to work he needed both hands to work the plug. Not thinking to much about it he put the flashlight (with metal housing) that had been in truck all night in his mouth to hold it. It then became a "hands free" operation since it immediately froze to his tonuge. :-)  Of course the first thing he did was yank it loose, along with the bumpy things on about a quarter of his tonuge.
He has taken a lot of good natured kidding at the shop.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Chuck White

Don't stick your tongue on a flag pole either!  ::)   :'(
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

It's really not funny, but I gotta laugh anyway.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Crow99

Obviouthly ith been a while thinth he thaw "A Thwithmat h Thtowy. "  ;D

sawguy21

That was a  lesson learned early here in the north. He really should have gone back in the house to let it thaw although I imagine a bit of panic set in. I feel for him.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

hardtailjohn

Just leave it in there...it'd thaw eventually.... and in the meantime he'd be able to do all kinds of things "hands free" ..... hahhaha    Like LeeB said, "It's really not funny, but I gotta laugh anyway."
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

1270d

My 5 yr old son came into the shop crying one day a couple weeks ago.  Its cold out of course but he and some friends were bundled up sledding and whatnot.  I thought maybe he crashed and hit his head, nope.  Did you slip and fall or something, nope.   Turns out he wanted a band aid for his mouth.   I asked if he bit his lip or tounge?  No he said, I licked the truck!  Froze his tounge to the trailer hitch.   Ha. I'll bet he never licks frozen metal again, at least this year.

SPIKER

Ya bet he did the UN-happy dance for a few min...  :snowball: :embarassed:

I grabbed something out in the shop Monday after my Honda Passport blew out in the cold and had moist hands & started to stick a bit...   (Half inch Ratchet I think) but seen the Christmas Story enough times to NOT yank away... ;)

M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

curdog

Thuuck , nintts tuuuck. :D ......... sorry couldn't resist. Hope his tongue heals up if for no other reason he will probably get joked with until it does. Definitely a lesson learned the hard way.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thurlow

'bout 55 years ago, when I'se a teenager, my dad had a large farm rented which butted up to the IC railroad.  A bunch of us were fooling around there one Winter day (coulda been rabbit hunting......it was a long time ago) and somehow one of the guys got the notion that it would be cool to lick the track (it was bright and shiny;  a BUNCH of trains went by each day).  His whole tongue stuck to it and we knew we needed some warm liquid to get him loose.........didn't have but one source of warm liquid. 8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Thurlow that's just gnarly steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley I bet he resisted until he heard the train horn :D
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

True story:

I have a friend who has a friend in his church that joined the Navy. At the same time he joined up, he had a tooth that was giving him trouble and he needed a root canal. While doing the root canal, the Dentist found a spot on this guys tongue and sent him to another Doctor.......it was Cancer.

The Docs had to cut off half his tongue and then cut skin off his butt and grafted it back on the tongue.
He is now taking Chemotherapy just to be on the safe side.

This guy has a really good personality......he has to.....his buddies are joking him back to good health.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DDDfarmer

Have held screws in my mouth working outside in the winter.  Not enough mass to really stick but enough to remind you not to do that ;D  Also have run out to the cold garage to grab a wrench to work on something in the basement.  Sometimes have to bring the wrong wench into the house cause I cant let go.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

thurlow

Quote from: DDDfarmer on January 12, 2014, 10:30:54 PM
Sometimes have to bring the wrong wench into the house cause I cant let go.
I HATE it when I grab the wrong wench.............. :D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

5quarter

At least he gets to keep his wenches in the garage... ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!