iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EPA just contacted me on my Dry Kiln

Started by just_sawing, January 11, 2014, 08:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

My kiln was a dehumidifier type but has been down for a while.
Got a phone call from the EPA asking about my Kiln running off of my Hot Water heater (Outdoor Furnace). Told him the the outdoor heater was hooked to our house and we at this time did not run a kiln.
It was real obvious that they were ready to prance for me using slabs to dry lumber. It is OK to just burn them but not to use it for drying.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I wonder if you are certain this was indeed the EPA.  This is not the way that the federal EPA operates...they would send a letter and then a visit.  Phone calls are not used because it could be a scam, etc.  Do you have any idea which branch or office of the EPA it was?  We had a similar event about ten years ago where an EPA person (fake) called about DH water discharge and then offered to sell something that would fix it.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

thecfarm

And the ERA don't go hunting for violations.do they? Did someone say something to them?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

submarinesailor

Based on what I know about the Tittle 5 permits for big heating type boiler plants, you should not have received anything from the Federal EPA.  If anything the state Department of Environmental Quality, DEQ as it called in Virginia.

Bruce

xlogger

Doc is correct, my neighbor call them for me burning a brush pile and they sent me a letter and wanted me to call them asap. By the way my neighbor is an "AO" and I did everything correct with epa rules. Did you guys know burning in a barrel is a violation?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

LeeB

It is, but it's not enforced where I live. Half the county would be in jail.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dave Shepard

So the EPA has an issue with using sawmill byproducts to dry lumber?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

red oaks lumber

if the epa cant stop or prevent forest fires ,don't bother the wood burning people :) oh wait big oil is lobbing to stop wood burning, we are cutting into their profits.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

blackfoot griz

Years ago, my neighbor ran a cabinet shop.  He would burn his scraps in a campfire ring. Lots of neighbors would congregate there for a good time.

Along comes a rep from the health dept. and tells him he can't do that.  I happened to be there at the time.  My buddy mentioned that it was all kiln- dried hardwood.  The health department guy said that legally, the scraps are "Industrial Waste" and can't be burned on the property.

I suggested that he could trade me the hardwood scraps for firewood--that I could burn the hardwood scraps at my place 1/2 mile away because suddenly they would no longer be "industrial waste".  The health dept guy said that would be fine. 

Finally, I asked the health dept guy, "what if the cabinet guy sells me his monthly scraps for a dollar and I sell them back to him for a dollar--would it still be industrial waste?"

We never heard from him again.

barbender

Quote from: blackfoot griz on January 12, 2014, 12:28:38 PM
Years ago, my neighbor ran a cabinet shop.  He would burn his scraps in a campfire ring. Lots of neighbors would congregate there for a good time.

Along comes a rep from the health dept. and tells him he can't do that.  I happened to be there at the time.  My buddy mentioned that it was all kiln- dried hardwood.  The health department guy said that legally, the scraps are "Industrial Waste" and can't be burned on the property.

I suggested that he could trade me the hardwood scraps for firewood--that I could burn the hardwood scraps at my place 1/2 mile away because suddenly they would no longer be "industrial waste".  The health dept guy said that would be fine. 

Finally, I asked the health dept guy, "what if the cabinet guy sells me his monthly scraps for a dollar and I sell them back to him for a dollar--would it still be industrial waste?"

We never heard from him again.
This illustrates a frightening point-these people are really out there, and they walk among us >:(
Too many irons in the fire

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I think if you check, you'll find that EPA does not worry about wood burning.  Rather, it is the state that does, enforcing a federal law or regulation.  This is why the initial phone call being from the federal EPA does not make sense, but was probably a scam of some sort.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

SPIKER

NOTICE: as of January 3rd 2014!  EVERYONE please READ and RE-POST to your FB friends or other Forums you visit we (USA Citizens need to respond to this!) >:( >:( >:( >:(

There are actually Federal EPA rules (in the EPA for comments NOW) regarding ALL WOOD BURNING stoves of ANY TYPE.   The are limiting the amount of ash, soot and any type of byproducts/non-combustible materials that would go into effect in next year or so.   These rules would force EVERY wood stove, wood boiler or Wood Stove MANUFACTURE of such device manufacture to prove their stoves meet these new standards.   It would force dozens or perhaps Hundreds of small wood stove manufactures out of business (I believe it is why they are doing it as much of it is backed by big oil) ::)

http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters/regulatory-actions-residential-wood-heaters#tab-2

I suggest everyone email the EPA on these over stepping bounds that would basically force every stove to have some sort of catalytic system that would have to be maintained & only last so long.  LINK BELOW >:( >:( >:(

a-and-r-Docket@epa.gov

Other methods of telling them off here.

http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters/how-comment-proposed-new-source-performance-standards-residential-wood

here are some of these new rules that will kill jobs, force people to burn OIL, GAS and PROPANE that dumps millions of tons MORE carbon into the atmosphere.

http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/ordinances.html

and here

http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

blackfoot griz

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on January 12, 2014, 02:41:29 PM
I think if you check, you'll find that EPA does not worry about wood burning.  Rather, it is the state that does, enforcing a federal law or regulation.  This is why the initial phone call being from the federal EPA does not make sense, but was probably a scam of some sort.

Gene, in my post above, it was a county health dept guy--not EPA. He was the same guy that inspected kitchens, issued septic permits etc. 

Greg Brown

[/quote]
This illustrates a frightening point-these people are really out there, and they walk among us >:(
[/quote]

Walk among us????     more like slither among us.
Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

5quarter

Spiker... Thanks for posting this. I won't comment, other than to say I would encourage others to oppose the new proposed regs.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!