iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Workshop in Southeast Nebraska (UPDATED) PICTURES ADDED

Started by VictorH, January 11, 2014, 08:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VictorH

I have been in contact with Jim Rogers and we are looking at having a Timber Frame Workshop at my shop here in Falls City, Nebraska.  This would be focused on beginner framers working with square rule layout and cutting.  We are looking at sometime in April or May 2014.  This would be a 5 day workshop.  Cost for the workshop would be $500 per student with the student also covering their own housing costs.  We would like to see how many folks would be interested in such a workshop.

5% of the proceeds will go to the forum.  The remainder will be used to pay Jim for His time and expenses.

We have decided on Dates for the Workshop.  The workshop will start on Friday May 23 and run through Tuesday May 27.  Daily schedule will be 8am - 5pm except Sunday May 25 - workshop hours will be 12 noon   -8pm.
There will be a limited number of slots in order to provide one on one instruction.  A $100 deposit will be required to reserve and hold your slot.  This is refundable up until May 7th if for some reason you should need to cancel.  Send me a Pm and I will give you the address where to mail your check.

In addition Jim has asked that each student read Jack Sobon's book Build a Classic Timber Framed House before the start of the workshop.

The workshop has started and I have added pictures on the third page.  We are having a great time learning from Jim.

Troy Schon

dukndog

Depending on my work, I am interested. I've already checked on lodging in St. Joe, so it's do-able. I can work in a visit to our plant in Kansas City on the drive up and back to cover the mileage, so trip would just about be paid for!

Let me know the status so I can make plans.

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

klpauba

ksu_chainsaw

I am interested. May would be a better time for me.
On a side note, there are 3 hotels only 20 miles away from Falls City, located in Hiawatha, KS.

VictorH

I was hoping I was not the only one interested in Timber Framing in the region  ;D.   Thanks for the replies so far.  There are 3 hotels here in Falls City as well - The Grand Weaver (a classic downtown hotel that has been renovated nicely)  The Vision Inn, and The Check Inn.  I will speak to each and see what kind of rate we might be able to get for our "conference".

A couple questions - Would you prefer to have the workshop during the week or over a weekend to save time taken off of work?  The second is related May 26 is Memorial Day - would there be any preference for or against incorporating that day into the schedule as most folks have this day off from work?

Victor

Jim_Rogers

I have a tool trip planned on 5/1/14 and the next one is 6/6/14 so anything in between is good.

My local workshop is planned for 5/17/14 so whatever works for you works for me.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ronnie

I have been wanting to take a class and this is by far the closest one to me. I was debating flying up to fox maple this year. So this is right up my alley. I am in Centerville Ks. Scheduling it over a weekend or a long weekend sounds like a good idea to me.

TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

ksu_chainsaw

I might not be able to attend on Memoria Day Weekend, as I am part of the KSARNG Honor Guard that is asked to participate in ceremonies. I do not know of any yet, but there always people that ask last minute.

Charles

sully

Myself and possibly one more would be interested.

Biocmp

If we can do it through an extended weekend, I'd be very interested. Will we be able to use all different types of tools? Is their a proposed tool list?

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Biocmp on January 15, 2014, 05:34:08 PM
If we can do it through an extended weekend, I'd be very interested. Will we be able to use all different types of tools? Is their a proposed tool list?

I have posted a suggested tool list here:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,6403.0.html

Each student should be bringing his own tools to use. We don't normally supply tools during a workshop.

If you need to purchase some timber framing tools there is a list of tools for sale in the for sale section of the FF. Send me an email via the regular email system and I'll send you some info about how to buy tools.

Jim Rogers

Biocmp

I'll reiterate, if it happens over an extended weekend, I can say with almost 100% certainty that I'm in.

Jim,
Is it safe to assume we wouldn't need to bring our own boring machines? I don't know that I can spring for tools that expensive, I'd rather get quality hand tools from the list you suggested.

Jim_Rogers

Hopefully Victor's machine will be operational by then. But if you have one it would be good to bring.

Jim Rogers

woodsteach

Victor, I'd be in but as a teacher I don't get 5 days off in a row.  That being said my last day of the year is May 23rd, so that weekend start would be great. 

Let me know if you need any help

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Jim_Rogers

I'm sure Victor wouldn't mind if you or anyone could only come one or two or three days.
I don't think it's carved in stone that you have to do all five days.

This is something we can talk about.

We want as many as can come for as long as they can. Each student will get some personal instruction on layout and cutting of joints.

Jim Rogers

woodsteach

Great, I will be there for as much as possible, I'd not want to miss out on the famous Jim Rogers timber frame methods. Especially since it is blocks from my house.

As a side note if after class anyone wants to see a Brand X swing mill we could go to my mill as well.
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

woodsteach

I just visited with my little brother and he said to count him in as well.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: woodsteach on January 18, 2014, 10:11:23 PM
I just visited with my little brother and he said to count him in as well.

You need to contact Victor directly.

He will soon be asking for a commitment. That means a deposit of part of the fee.

Jim Rogers

VictorH

I just updated the original OP to include dates and other info for the Workshop.

Looking forward to meeting some other forum members!!

Biocmp

VictorH

Biocmp - I sent you a pm with the info you need to register for the workshop

Please remember that sending me a pm telling me you are in will not reserve a spot.  I will need to receive your deposit - it is a first pay first reserved deal.  As soon as I receive them I will pm you to confirm your registration.

Victor

VictorH

I wanted to post an update on the workshop.  There are only 2 spots left!!  I have spoken to Jim and he is open to having a second workshop following the one already scheduled.  We would need to know early enough so that Jim's flights can be scheduled accordingly.

The project for the workshop will be a 12x16' frame designed by Jim Rogers.

Victor

Ronnie

VictorH

I am not sure yet on species.  I'm trying to work out a deal on some maple but can't meet with the owner until 6-8 of Feb.  I do plan to mix in some walnut for braces and perhaps the girts.

Biocmp

Victor, will you be milling everything for the workshops? When will you be doing that?

VictorH

Yes, I will be milling all the components.  I'm not sure when I will mill them.  I'm seeing if I can get this batch of maple.  I do have enough red and white oak on hand, but have been hoarding it for a larger project I hope to build.  I'll let you know what I decide.
Victor

stanwelch

Victor,  will you be rising the frame as part of the workshop?
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

VictorH

Hi Stan

I really don't know.  Jim suspects we won't finish the whole frame in the 5 days.  It will depend on how many we have in the workshop and how fast we all are at learning the layout and cutting process.  I do plan to have the sills and floor joists all assembled and in place just in case.  I would think that if we do end up having a second workshop following the first we would get it done and put up.

Victor

VictorH

Wanted to bring this back up to the top.  We still have slots open for this workshop.  If you can't make it for all 5 days you can come for however many you can.  The daily fee is $100.  Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Ronnie

VictorH

There are 4 of us so far.  There were a couple more but work took their plans in other directions.  I have a nephew who may join us as well.

Raen

My husband and I might be interested. I'll talk to him.

VictorH

Hello Raen - welcome to the forum

We would love to have you for all or part of the workshop.  Pm me if you have any specific questions.

Victor

Napoleon1

I can't seem to be able to pm you about the class.  Could you please send your location. I might be able to come.   

beenthere

Napoleon
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Have you read the posts in this thread?  What additional info is needed?

FF policy restricts new members from the PM feature.

Where are you located?  And are you planning to build a timber frame, or already doing such?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodsteach

Welcomed Napoleon, the workshop is in Falls City, Nebraska. Just about as far south and east as you can go in Nebraska.

Paul

Napoleon1

I'm sorry I could not read the first sentence in th op. I'm blind in one eye and have a real hard time seeing out the other one. I live in Shreveport,LA trying to get my affairs in order so I can make this workshop. I should know in a day or so if I can make it. If there is room left in the workshop

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

VictorH

Hello Napoleon

I am hosting the workshop and yes we still have room for students.  We hope you can make it, let me know if you can and I will get your phone # and get things set for you to join us.

Victor

Napoleon1

Napoleon1

VictorH

That's great Napoleon.  My phone is 402.245.7403.  Give me a call and we can get you set up to come.

Victor

Jim_Rogers

blade69001

Is this something that goes on once in a while or am I missing a golden opportunity here?

Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Jim_Rogers

You are missing a golden opportunity.

But wait, there's more......
I'm doing one in NC in July, and there are still openings.

Send me an email and we can discuss it.....

Jim Rogers

blade69001

Unfortunately I am already completely booked this summer through Oct. so I will have to keep watch and maybe get to go to one somewhere up north where it really gets cold. Instead of this hot sweltering summers we have here in Charleston.
Sean
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Jim_Rogers

We had a great first day at the workshop. We cut a lot of floor joists and the tying joist.

On hand for today is one of the long sills (20' 8x8 red oak), one cross sill, and two posts for bent #1.
Also, available is a timber for a tie beam.

Victor will be milling out some brace stock so we hope to be able to put together a bent.

One thing we all learned how to do was make some saw horses. As we made some of the timbers we cut 2" planks for the first floor decking and some 1x6 boards.

I cut the 1x6 boards into parts for the saw horses, and we now have 6 on hand.

In the shed behind Victor's very nice LT40 we have 4 work-stations set up. So, everyone had their own space.

Some students have "teamed up" and are working in pairs, on timbers.

We hope to get a group photo at the end of today, as some students may leave tonight.

I'll post it when I can.

Jim Rogers

VictorH

It has been a really good two days at the workshop.  Here are some pics.

Here is a pic of everyone

The work stations

Jim showing us how to set up the boring machine

Jim showing u how it works

Here is the end of a drop in floor joist

Jim showing us how to check a tenon with a caliper

Here we are working on a long sill

Having a great time and learning a lot.  Three more days of learning and enjoyment.

Troy Schon

Had a great time today at the workshop! Met some new friends and learned some new timberframing skills. Today we worked on beam orientation and post tenons Thank you Jim for being a patient and generous teacher. Thank you Victor for sponsoring a gathering of folks interested in timber framing. Nebraska has a long and varied history of timber framing that should be discusssed and explored. Let's keep the ball rolling!

Jim_Rogers

Troy:
Thanks for coming over and being a timber framer.

Thanks for your kind comments.

I'm going to leave a tape here with Victor for you. When you see him remind him to give it to you.

Jim Rogers

VictorH

Well our workshop ended today.  Had a great time, learned a lot and made new friends.  I would absolutely recommend having Jim Rogers as an instructor for a workshop if you are interested in learning the craft.

Here is a picture of us with the bent we did a test fit on that we laid out and cut during the workshop.  We worked on and cut many other components and joints as well.

Jim_Rogers

It was a great workshop.

I had some great students. The all did a great job. There were no stupid questions, only questions that needed answers.

I want to thank Paul (woodteach on FF), his brother Aaron, Kevin (a FF member), Mark and Edwin from LA, and Troy for coming to the workshop.

I most of all I would like to thank VictorH for putting it all together.

I got a Nebraska sun burn today to take home to MA tomorrow. ::)

Jim Rogers

klpauba

I must say, this is the best instructional workshop I've attended (although my first timber framing one).

VictorH was a gracious host and had the venue well prepared for those of us attending.  He's a friendly soul that can prepare a great burger on the grill.

I can't say enough good things about Jim Roger's skill, patience and training skills.  He shared a lot of information over the five day workshop and, after answering many questions (some repeated), we were able to put together a good portion of the frame.  I liked most of his jokes, too!

I would be one of the first to sign up for another workshop like this (just to "burn in" the knowledge and learn more techniques/joints).  The workshop really took away my intimidation on starting up the craft as a hobby.  I would suggest you to contact Jim to see if you could work out a workshop that is local to you.  It makes the training really affordable and there's something really special  about spending a few days with others with a common interest in timber framing -- I met some wonderful people doing so.

Jim_Rogers

woodsteach

Thank you to Victor and Jim for a great workshop. 

I have timbers cut to make Jim's mailbox post out of walnut and will begin cutting joints next week.  The mailbox post looks like a great 1st solo project, contact Jim for a set I think that they are less than $10.00 .

Once again if you have the opportunity to learn from Jim even if it is only for a day or two it would be well worth it..

Paul

Jim_Rogers

Paul:
Thanks for your kind words.

Jim Rogers

PS. It was a great pleasure to teach this group of beginners. Everyone did a great job on the pieces they worked on. And we only had one "mis-cut" but we were able to work around that, and still use the timber.

klpauba

I just got a nice certificate of completion, Jim.  Nice touch!

Jim_Rogers

You're welcome.

I was worried when I heard about the storms in NE, but then they were north of you guys.

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!