iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Dimension operaters

Started by karl, June 02, 2004, 05:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karl

Sat'day we are checking out a '81 Mobile dimension mill with checkbook in hand.... What should a virgin saywer be looking for as far as wear and tear?
We (actually I, wife is supportive - but has no real interest!)) have spent a year or so looking at mills and following the Forum and decided that circlular saws are best for us, and a friend has a band for wide cuts, clapbds etc.
I have been around MD mills but only as a sweatin' "go-fer", not as operator. As I recall, didn't have time to look at it much, and didn't really care back then.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

D._Frederick

Karl,

Get in touch with Frank Pender, he has 3 MD mills.

Bruce_A

Absolutley stay away from any MD with a manual rope starter.    And unless you are planning on a work out every day, try to find one with an electric lift. If the saw has sat for any length of time, check the wheels on the carrier, they are small sealed bearings and will freeze up if allowed to sit out. Also check anyplace that a lever must be lifted or a catch must be used for excessive wear.  After owning and operating a MD128 for the better part of 5 years, I can hardly imagine myself with enough patience to run a small band saw for very long. They are a superb mill if you have any volume of logs in the 20" to 48" diameter. You might also consider a way to move your lumber as it will build up very fast. Good luck.

karl

I was kinda hopin' Frank would chime in....

Thanks Bruce- thats the kind of info I need,  I remember the 'building up fast" part ::)- we have forklift, tractor, excavator, trucks, got that part covered 8)
All we need is - knowledge, mill, logs, time, market. ;)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Jeff

He will. I sent him a message. Hes probably still doing chores. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

FeltzE

Bruce,

What is it you'd not have patience with on a band mill? I've only had one chance to see a MD work so I really couldn't compare the 2 machines real well.

Eric

Frank_Pender

Chores?  What are you tlking about Jeff?  I have to work daylitght to dark picking it with the chicken just to stay aline around here.  

Karl, you have already gotten some good advice from Bruce.  Get the electric start, and the 24 volt system to raise and lower the carrage.  The word workout is an understatement to say the least.  I helped with one a few times before I purchased my first Model 128.   By the way it went Soouth to Yosimite, Calif.  a few weeks ago.  I only have two now; the only two that were hydraulic factory made.  

You can spend some good hard cash trying to repair and improve someone elses lack of maintainance  :'(  If you are quite serious about a Mobile Dimension and producing a great about of lumber I sure would reconsider and look into a new mill.  Unless the used one has been highly maintained andunder cover you could well be purchasing someone elses problems.   This I have learned more than once the hard way, on any sort of machinery or equipment.

If it is not on a trailer of some sort you would also have to consider that for ease of use and mobility.  It sounds as though you may well have all of the other equipment needed to handle your logs and lumber.  
Frank Pender

D._Frederick

Frank,

What year did MD come out with a hydrostatic carriage drive, the friction drive the first ones had were not the best?

Frank_Pender

Don, I am not for sure on the year.   '82 or '83 come to mind.   I would have to difer to Sawmill John on that one.  

Karl, I recently purchased an used MD mill from a fella that had not taken some preventable maintaining and I ended up having to spend quite a few extra dollars for fixing up somethings that should have been better maintained.  Of course, I purchased the unit, sight-unseen, which gives me no room for complaining.   I simply wanted the machine and took my chances.   All and all I still feel that I got a fine deal and am happy with the purchase.   8)
Frank Pender

Bruce_A

Eric;  With a MD128 it is possible to cut anything from a 1x2 to a 8x12 and anything in between and have it returned to you on the dragback.  And if you really like to work up a sweat once in a while,you can go fast enough with the larger logs to cut up to a 1000 board feet per hour or more in 2x6x12' long.  None of the smaller bands that I have been around, which includes several WM models, were capable of this production on the same type of wood.  The biggest drawback with the MD is the amount of sawdust generated. In larger dimensions  this does not translate into lost money at all that I can see.  The edging is done at the same time that you are ripping and you can grade saw as well. this includes changing from grade to dimension or pallett on the run.  And best of all, just one person needs to be present with enough backup equipment to move the lumber out.  Accurate lumber is unbelievable if the saw is set up right, sharpening is done in place, from 6 to 18 teeth at a time, depending on how many blades you are using .  I should probably be a sales rep for them after this speech.  BTW Frank, I grew up in LYLE and had kids in school there until we burnt out in 1991. Some of those places still mean something to me.

Bruce

Frank_Pender

Bruce, you are so correct on the production item.  I have been able to saw two 2 x 4s or 6s at a time if I want to work that hard.  You can even set up, with no trouble to make 3  2 x 4s at once or a 2 x 8 and a 2 x 4.    To make the 3  2 x 4s you have to add a third edger blade, of which I have never have.  
  As to the production in a day, I have sawed up to 2,000 bd. ft., but that is only if I have all of the logs prepared and ready to roll onto the log loaders. :)
Frank Pender

karl

Ok, like God is trying to teach me patience or something- owner canceled meeting, again. :(Maybe the following Sat.

Unit is a friction feed, elec start, elec raise. Tell me more about the down side of friction feed?

I believe '82 was the first hydrostatic drive.

The maintainance part concerns me a bit since the owner "hasn't used it much lately" and "new paint" was mentioned- on the other hand he sounds like a guy that likes his stuff in good shape.

I can appreciate the "buy new " advise,  I practice that most times in my construction business, can't justfy the added cost for "free and cheap" logs and weekend sawing. Besides, bought two new machines already this year!  ::)

GregS

Bruce,
A quick question, you mentioned that MD's are really good for larger logs "20-48".  Does this mean that there is too much waste for the smaller logs or it just not time efficient.  Just curious because most of my future logs will be under 20".  I did notice that most MD's are on the west coast.  Is this why?  I know that was 2 questions  ???.

Greg S

D._Frederick

Karl,

I have only seen a couple of the friction feed mills operate a number of yours ago and may not be a 100% correct now. The one that stands out, the owner had installed a rope in trouble lite re winder. If he had set the feed rate too high and the engine started to bog down, he would give the rope a pull and the carriage would return to the end. H e would reset the feed rate and re start the cut. They also had trouble cutting if it was raining.

My choice would be a mill with the hydrostatic drive, you can change feed rate, stop, reverse all with the blade sawing.

oakiemac

Karl, I bought a used MD last spring. It's a '94 model 12 set up on a trailer. The original owner passed away and the kids left it sit outside for 3 years. Fortunately they did have the foresight to put the engine in the garage. Every thing that moves was seized up, the paint was bubbling off and the blades were rusty. It took two month of work, but it now runs like a champ. I had to buy no new parts-just a lot of elbow grease and some paint.
I wouldn't be afraid of buying a used mill. But like everything else there is different levels of repair needed.
I don't have electric lift, am currently working on building my own system. I don't feel that it is a huge work out not having it though. I just cut 1MBF today and don't feel too tired. Call the MD factory and talk with John Fabbas (sawmill John). He is real helpfull and has a lot of knowledge.
Good luck!! I think you'll like the MD.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Frank_Pender

Greg S., no that is not to say that a MD mill is less effi=cient with logs less than 20" in daim.   For any mill, inmy estimation, the smaller the log the less production one is able to achieve in any given time period.  I have made some very excellent production rates with smaller diameter logs.  With the two mills I own I am able to saw logs up to 4 1/2' in diam and 18' long and the other is the the same diameter and 26' long.   With small diameters down to 6 or 7 inches and longer lengths I cam make whole whacks of lumber in a shor time.  The shorter lengths and small diameters gives rise to a bit les in production due to haveing  to constanting place a new log on the bunks,but this would be the case with and type of mill in my estimation.   Again, my strong conviction is to acquire a mill that has a hydrostatic drive system and the powered rack and pinion system.   You production as well as you physical durability are two major reasons to purchase the newer and updated versions of the Model 128.
Frank Pender

Bruce_A

Greg;  Frank is hitting things on the head.  You spend a lot of time putting logs on the mill with the small stuff.  Lining up a 6" log take as much time as a 30" log.  On the west coast scribner scale is common and a 24" 40' log scales at 1010 board feet. If you are cutting full size lumber there will be almost no overrun. Cutting dimensional sizes after planing will produce a 20% overrun. [1 5/8x 1 5/8].  There are about nine[seems like it anyway]  belts on the old saws and they can take some time to get lined up, The hydostatic drive is much better and more controlable than the friction drive. Another point which we all hope to see someday, is that the MD can be used to cut any size log no matter  how large.

Frank_Pender

Bruce, the Mill can do that now, as lng as you are set up to handle large diameter logs.   It is the length that becomes tha challenge.  One can extend the track out a great distance, but the isssue become one of  support for the track a carrage at the greater distances.  There is an addition "shoe" that is used to support the track for lengths longer than 24'-26' .  I have one such shoe on the most recent mill I purchased that allows for logs up to 26' 10".  I also have this mill set up on a trailer.   Longest I have ever had to saw has been 24' material.  If someone needs timbers longer I have always sent them to Hull Oaks mill in Monroe, Oregon.  They are one of the very last steam operating mills in the country.  They can cut up to 80" if I am not mistaken.  
Frank Pender

Bruce_A

Frank;  When I was talking about size, I was thinking about 7' and 8' diameter stuff that  you have to crib up for.  I hadn't thought about cutting anything longer than 26'.   Take a big band to saw some of them old growth into slabs.

Frank_Pender

Bruce, I have seen fellas saw 8' diam. logs with a MD mill.  There are two way to do the sawing;  first is the system to set the mill on timbers lagbolted into the ends of the logs and have them separated based on the width you wish to saw from the log.  The second is to use end stands that are 8' tall.   With the second method you need to set out, outriggers to keep the riser pipes stable as you raise the carrage and track high enough to begin sawing lumber.  I only have 4' riser pipes, but could easily acquire longer pipes to saw larger diameter logs.  I beleive that Paul H. has 54" riser pipes for his board and block, Model 127.  Another issue to consider would be to have bunks long enough to accomodate the larger diameter.  I do know that Mobile Manufacturing recently, (last 6 months or so) build a mill system to acccomodate 8' plus for a gal in Northern Calif. to accomodate the large Redwood and Sequoia she was sawing.
  So modifications are possible withour too much trouble.
Frank Pender

karl

"Saw" the mill today, going back next week (end?) with lights, plate - one more toy, ah TOOL, yeah, tool for the sandbox, er, Yard. 8)

Thanks all for the tips- felt more comfortable writing the check knowing what I was looking for. Also the (previous) ;D owner is a real person, no bull****. AFTER the negotiation and the handshake he decided to put new tires on it for me because they were cracked and I didn't dare to haul it so far today without a spare or lights. Another good person in the world!
Owner is a real interesting guy- does lots of different stuff.
Makes the most incredible Damascus knives I have ever had the pleasure of holding.

All in all - a pretty good day. Now if I could just win a cant hook for my "new" mill......

Frank_Pender

Good for you Karl.  8) It is tooooo bad that you are almost 4,000 miles East of me, or I would come and help you get set up and all.  :'(
Frank Pender

oakiemac

Congrats Karl!  
Feel free to ask questions as you setup and use your new mill. There are some guys with lots of experience on this forum.
You'll be surpised at how much attention your MD gets. I have had a lot of folks come out to see it and get real interested in buying one of their own.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!