iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Longleaf stand

Started by GATreeGrower, January 11, 2014, 03:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

Planted Dec 7.  Last pic is the view from my tree stand, the only sweetgum I can tolerate  :D

Texas Ranger

My favorite pine, great stands, beautiful trees.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

GATreeGrower

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 11, 2014, 07:01:09 PM
My favorite pine, great stands, beautiful trees.
It is a right cute little pine tree.  Especially when they hit that "Cousin It" stage.  :D

WDH

Were those machine planted?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

caveman

Did you plant on a 5' x 12' spacing?  They look good.  When do you think you will run your first prescribed fire through them?
Caveman
Caveman

thecfarm

GATreeGrower,could you put this post in your FF bookmarks and take a picture each year? Be interesting to see the growth for a few years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GATreeGrower

6x10 but theyre a tad closer than 6 feet in most places.  And the rows widen where the driver starts hitting stumps   :-\  Itll be a while before its burned.  Want enough needles on them to protect the bud.  I will keep yall updated  :)   

curdog

I really like the longleaf myself. I used to work on a plantation in sc that was primarily longleaf. I think I'm going to stick a hundred or so in the ground behind the house this year to see how they'll do . I'm a couple hundred miles outside of the natural range either north or west, but there are some planted around that have made it all the way to saw log size. Will be an experiment and should do fine if I can keep the ice off of them. A guy up the road has 10-12 year old trees that are at least 15 feet tall,  but his lobs have gave them more shade then they really need.
Hopefully you'll post updates of your stand, I'd be interested in their progress.

coxy

ok no nothing about longleaf why do you need to burn them  ;D  and how  far north will they grow,  what do they look like at cut able size,  how long before you can cut them,    and pic of the tops would do me good if some one had them  ;D are they like any other soft wood   sorry for asking all this but its new to me  :) :) 8)

caveman

One of the most serious diseases that affect longleaf pine is brown spot needle blight.  The best way to combat that is to burn them while they are in the grass stage.  Longleaf stay in a grass stage from somewhere between 3 and 7 years.  They look like they are not doing much but they are establishing a tap root and preparing for the rocket stage, when they grow rapidly but are more apt to be damaged by fire.  Longleaf thrive in an environment frequented by fire.  Many of the foresters that I know recommend running fire through longleaf stands every three to five years.  When they are older, it helps keep competing hardwoods at bay and also provides bare mineral soil which facilitate the natural regeneration of southern yellow pine (including longleaf). 
Caveman
Caveman

WDH

Yes, longleaf has to be burned, even when they are little, unlike other pines.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Claybraker

Quote from: coxy on January 12, 2014, 06:13:55 PM
ok no nothing about longleaf why do you need to burn them  ;D  and how  far north will they grow,  what do they look like at cut able size,  how long before you can cut them,    and pic of the tops would do me good if some one had them  ;D are they like any other soft wood   sorry for asking all this but its new to me  :) :) 8)

Here's a map of the historic range. It was basically an arc from Texas to Virginia along the coastal plain.
http://www.auburn.edu/academic/forestry_wildlife/longleafalliance/ecosystem/map/rangemap.htm

My grandfather had some on his land, but they mostly got replaced when he stopped dipping turpentine, sometime back in the '60s.

GATreeGrower

If you've got wild hogs on your land I'd get rid of them before you ever set a long leaf.  They love to wipe em out after a rain.   I'm replanting some now that hogs got after.

Thank You Sponsors!