iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer's projects pictures thread

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 11, 2014, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Wow some really great stuff.  That bowl must have taken a really long time to make.

Lakehouse that cottage looks great.

MM- that is some inspiration for me, I think I might be able to build something like that and maybe sell it for $300 lol
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Better bring some help to load it because that bench is heavy.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Recently a family came out to look for a mantle.  I had a couple sawn but they wanted something I did not have.  They wanted it rustic and gave me rough dimensions.  I sawed it soon after they left and the husband/dad came back a few days later.  I cut a little more off to meet his criteria and then had to attempt to cut it squarely to length with a chainsaw.  Yesterday, his wife sent me a thank you text and pictures of the mantle in place.

The included bark was centered and became a focal point for this mantle. 
Caveman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

Quartersawn sycamore table from some of the sycamore sawn by Customsawyer and me at the last Sycamore Project.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

Quote from: WDH on September 19, 2016, 08:02:35 AM
Quartersawn sycamore table from some of the sycamore sawn by Customsawyer and me at the last Sycamore Project.
I believe that the one board I handled at the Project is in that table.  I could be wrong.  :D  Very nice table and pretty wood.  Fine craftsmanship. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Nomad

Kyle, that mantle looks just about perfect on that wall.  Danny, you did that table proud!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

caveman

Thanks Nomad and Danny.
Danny, the table is really nice.  I bet the quarter sawn boards are really spectacular when the light hits them just right. 
Caveman

Dave Shepard

Quote from: WDH on September 19, 2016, 08:02:35 AM

That's a heck of a tongue twister. How much quarter sawn sycamore could customsawyer saw, if customsawyer could saw quarter sawn sycamore?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

redbeard

The project is the goss lake stair renovation I couldn't separate it from his website not trying to promote his business just wanted to show the Madrone stairs. hope this is ok.   http://www.oblqstudio.com/goss-lake-gallery/4hagiqlukv2o7zwwq599w76f4qi4s3 check out this link and these are some pics of the Madrone we had to quarter up to fit the B-20.
Wished I had the Hudson 60 back then. So several years
back I custom milled what I call rare Madrone because of the size of tree, it was 5-6' diameter

I sure like the iron work and how they made a suspended stairway.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

scleigh

A customer came by and picked up some wood today and brought a cutting board that he'd made out of some of my walnut and maple.

He's got more patience than I do  :D

WDH

Delawhere Jack

Milled for a client in July, mostly poplar, some oak, cedar and walnut. He mentioned that he would be using the wood to build a rustic cabin in the woods with his two youngest sons. He invited me back to an open house today to see the finished cabin. Very cool!

thecfarm

Looks good. The couch,outside,the wife would love. And than some.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

That is a lot accomplished since July, but that cozy cabin will be a cold cabin this winter.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on October 29, 2016, 08:49:44 PM
That is a lot accomplished since July, but that cozy cabin will be a cold cabin this winter.   :o

It's only a couple hundred yards from home. Out of sight in the woods. More of a place to get away for a few hours, or to entertain company. There's a brick barbeque, a firepit and some benches out front.

I did ask him twice what the rent would be...... I'm overdue for a change of scenery.

longtime lurker

Wood turners, they drive me nuts and I love them for what they do to "my" timber

Queensland Maple bowl by Jim McConnachie

Salt and Pepper Grinders in New Guinea Red Wattle by Richard Casey. Richard feels they're out of proportion, his preferred mechanism requires 4x4's for stock and I only had that in 3x3 at that time.

Makes a change from framing, flooring, and kitchens for sure
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Kbeitz

I sure would like to know how the bowl was held in the lathe to finish the bottom.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Picky2016

I built my mill and always to Timberframe n the hobby scale. Built an arbor and a greenhouse this year.

Carson-saws

WOW...those are some super nice photos of some real fine examples.   It is an understatement of how creative folks are and especially when you have a hand in it. I will try to put these in some kind of order seein as I am new to this pic/post thing.

Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Jemclimber

Very nice to see all the pictures.

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 30, 2016, 09:21:17 AM
I sure would like to know how the bowl was held in the lathe to finish the bottom.

A simple way to do the bottom is with a jam chuck. With a piece of wood mounted in a chuck or screwed to a face plate, it is turned in the shape of a dome that resembles the interior of the bowl. Put the bowl against this dome with fabric in between and tighten the tail stock to hold it. Turn the bottom and hand sand the little nub to finish it. 
lt15

AlaskaLes

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 30, 2016, 09:21:17 AM

There's a few ways to get the bottom tuned up:
Finish the top and use a vacuum chuck to hold it so you can finish the base.
Finish the top and use a live center on the back to tune it till it gets really small and finish the teat that's left over, by hand.
Finish the top and use a jam chuck to grab the top to finish the base.
Finish top and use a wide flange chuck plate with tabs to grab the edge of the top and turn the base.
These are methods I have used or seen, there are surely more ways to skin this cat.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work