iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building an outdoor boiler enclosure?

Started by reswire, January 10, 2014, 08:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reswire

I have a shaver outdoor boiler, and am thinking of enclosing it with an insulated shed.  I'd like to be able to fill the darn thing, and not freeze to death or get waterlogged in a downpour rain.  Has anyone out there have some pictures to share of their designs?  I would like to store about a cord of wood and leave some room around the stove to work, etc.  I've started by putting in a 16x32 pole frame, and I think I'll make it 10foot, sloping to 8 foot, for the roof pitch.  Watcha think?
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

beenthere

Member Chet comes to mind, as he has a neat setup for his OWB

Check out his gallery

His pics (hope he doesn't mind my posting them)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I plan on doing something too. Someday.  ::)  But not insulate it though. I do have 2 trailers,but have kinda changed my mind on that for now. I split my wood,as needed,into my loader and just dump it in front of my OWB. I would need a tall building to keep doing that. My Heatmor smokes when I open the door too. I would need to make a vent above the door to get the smoke out of the building. I will just have the front of the OWB enclosed,as pictured. The reason I want the building is I am sick and tired of covering my wood up with a tarp in front of the OWB and then having to remove the snow from it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

Chet's got a good plan there. I like tractor too. 
I like that he can split out of the weather, if he needs to.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

chet

I thought dem pics looked familiar.   :D  What you don't see, is the double doors on one end. I can back in with a load all the way to the far end of the shed. Reswire, I really don't see where you would need to insulate your shed. Thecfarm, smoke has not been an issue, as it rises into the joists and vents out the open soffets.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

r.man

It wouldn't be winter if I didn't have to stand out in a blizzard knocking snow off wood to put in my OWB while it tries to choke me with smoke. Makes me appreciate going inside.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

campfire courage

Here are some images from my build. I cut all the boards myself. Hardest part was building the back knee wall. 19x20 can hold a tri-axle and a half of split wood.  Well, I would post them if I could figure out how.  Maybe this is it? I'm not sure the proper way.

Framing with lumber I cut.

Side view

Inside view,

Front view,

Finished side veiw.

Wood is my life, Saw it, drag it, mill it, burn it, build with it, cook with it, heat with it.

WoodMizer LT 30, Kabota 3940, Log Arch, Stihl saws.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

campfire courage.welcome to the forum. Nice slide show there. What kind of OWB is that?
Give this a try. The hard part is done.
I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Somewheres I think it says to add 10,000 to your user number or something like that to make a clickable icon to your gallery under your user name. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

campfire courage

Thanks for the help :} I'll figure it out sooner or later. I had to copy and past the link to get the images in ther. 

I have a Liberty stove, 48inch firebox. Eats wood, if it weren't raining I'd be cutting wood and muzzy huntin today. My wood shed is just about filled, but I like to keep it full. So many projects going but the cold, snow, and now rain makes it tough.     
Wood is my life, Saw it, drag it, mill it, burn it, build with it, cook with it, heat with it.

campfire courage

Thanks for the welcome. I have a smoke house build I'd like to post but I'm not really sure where I would post that information. Any ideas?   

LeeB

Alternative solutions, food or woodworking boards would be good, or right here should be ok too. It does have to do with firewood for smoking. I've long wanted to build a smoke house, so I will look forward to seeing your project.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

Just start a new thread with smoke house in the title.

Texas Ranger

Campfire, stop on one of your slide show slides, it will pop up your photos and you can pop one in here, like this.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DeerMeadowFarm

Corley5

Make sure there's ventilation.  OWBs smoke during loading  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

reswire

Quote from: Chet on January 10, 2014, 10:18:46 PM
I thought dem pics looked familiar.   :D  What you don't see, is the double doors on one end. I can back in with a load all the way to the far end of the shed. Reswire, I really don't see where you would need to insulate your shed. Thecfarm, smoke has not been an issue, as it rises into the joists and vents out the open soffets.

Hey Chet,
I thought about insulating directly around my stove, not necessarily the building itself.  I thought of it more like a "water heater wrap", leaving about one foot around the furnace, possibly in such a way that the insulation could be removed if necessary.  I've got some 3 inch foam board, plenty of lumber thanks to the mill.  My stove sets on a 5 by 10 foot pad, maybe I might just enclose that with foam.  It just seems to me that out in the open, I'm loosing a lot of BTUs.  I do love the pics of your shed, wish I had seen it before I started building mine.  I like the way you put the furnace "half way out" of the shed wall.  Seems that would solve a lot of issues like going through the roof, etc..  I'll show some pics of mine if and when I get it done.  One thing about this forum, I've never ceased to be amazed at the talent you guys have. 
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Corley5

This is my setup.  I got the stove after the shed was put up.  I cut out the wall and poured a slab for it to sit on.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!