iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Now THIS is a different stove......

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, January 08, 2014, 02:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

Dave Shepard

I wanted to do something like that, only vertical. You would lower 20' logs down the chimney and just let them burn their way down to the firebox. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

r.man

I saw an article in an old Mother Earth News that profiled a furnace that was quite large and used a geared down winch to slowly pull a whole trunk into the firebox. It was a one off and looked safe enough but not very efficient. There was also an article on a vertically fed furnace. Long pieces were put in an almost vertical tube with a burn chamber at the bottom.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

beenthere

Someone would buy who has lots of time to be standing there feeding that log further into the stove, and adjusting the lever to open/close the draft curtain. Clever idea, but a hands-on full time stove as I see it.

Vertical, have seen a trial run that made for an interesting torch in the chimney.  Adjusting the draft was really tough to do and keep the fire going just at the bottom of the standing log.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Alexanderthelate

I spoke to an old fellow who's plan was to take the door off the stove he had in his basement, face it towards a window and feed the wood in from outside. He figured that the angle from the window to the stove was steep enough to have the wood slide in with gravity pulling it down. I don't think (I hope) he wasn't serious.

Al_Smith

Mother earth news had some interesting ideas when they first started out .As things progressed it became nothing but advertising .

If they did have an interesting project they only told you enough to whet your appetite and for a fee would send the plans .I dropped them like a bad habit .

r.man

I used to have access to veneer cores, basically huge hardwood dowels. That would have been my choice for a vertical feeding woodstove fuel. Smooth to the point of slippery, cores would slide off trucks in front of my house more than once in any given year. I knew an older fellow who drove about 50 miles to haul them home in a half ton truck. He was a retired trucker who liked the drive and could process the cores easier than regular wood.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

shinnlinger

Is hauling 16 ft trees into your house and babysitting that really easier than a conventional woodstove?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

David-L

My skidder would look good on that white rug and I could be nice and warm while fixing the beast. Nice concept, but not for me.
                                            David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Rockn H

I like the "log rack" in one of the photos.  Forget having to stay close to feed it, I'd hate to try and find enough "right size" logs for it. lol

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!