iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So excited I can't even stand it!

Started by JSwigga, January 10, 2014, 08:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSwigga

I'm picking up my new Timberking 2200 on Monday.  8) 8) 8)  We're starting the long journey to KC early sunday morning.  My buddy that is taggin along with me, wants to get some of the famous Kansas City BBQ while we are out there.   Anyone have any suggestions of what place we should try. 
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

Den-Den

You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

MIsawyer

Congratulations on the new mill.  Ive only been to KC once but stopped at LCs BBQ its on Blue Parkway, it was amazing have to try the burndt end sandwich

thecfarm

I would be excited to think of eating.  ;D  A non stop trip from NJ to KC.   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JSwigga

Quote from: thecfarm on January 10, 2014, 09:03:11 PM
I would be excited to think of eating.  ;D  A non stop trip from NJ to KC.   :D

I'm never too excite to eat. haha  We are going stop in St. Louis on the way out but we are going to drive straight through coming back. I won't feel safe leaving my mill anywhere besides my barn for now.  17 hours haul! Here we come!

Quote from: MIsawyer on January 10, 2014, 08:55:47 PM
Congratulations on the new mill.  Ive only been to KC once but stopped at LCs BBQ its on Blue Parkway, it was amazing have to try the burndt end sandwich

Thank you for the recommendation I'll have to give it a go!
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

sawwood

If you have time Arthur Bryant's is a good one and Smoke House by the Independence
center is real good. I live in KC Mo so know lots of BBQ places, but Will can show you
a few places close to there place. Do you know what time you will be at Timberking?
I just might come over and meet you two.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Delawhere Jack

It's NOT TOO LATE, INDIANAPOLIS!!! ORANGE, ORANGE ORANGE!!!!!  ;D

Just busting your chops. The TK is a mighty fine mill. One of my local competitors has one, a 1600 or maybe a 2000, not sure. I sure wish my WM had a chain turner...... :( If I turn a log a little too far I've got to turn it all the way around to get back to the face I want to cut.

Looks like you've got a pretty good operation going on over there, I'll need to come visit some time and talk shop.

Safe travels, and make sure you bring plenty of cash for the tolls!  :o

JSwigga

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on January 10, 2014, 09:53:15 PM

Just busting your chops. The TK is a mighty fine mill. One of my local competitors has one, a 1600 or maybe a 2000, not sure. I sure wish my WM had a chain turner...... :( If I turn a log a little too far I've got to turn it all the way around to get back to the face I want to cut.

Looks like you've got a pretty good operation going on over there, I'll need to come visit some time and talk shop.

We love WM too.  The cut throat was the deciding factor, we do so much live edge slabbing it would of been silly to not go with the widest we could get in our price range.  You're welcome anytime, and hopefully someday we can work together on some big jobs!

mudhog

JSwigga,

Don't know much about KC BBQ, but I know a little bit about a TK 2200. Your sawing world is getting ready to change. Hope you have a right good pile of logs. Better get the talon edger while you are there, you're going to need it. They can remove axle and load it right on the mill bed for you. ;D

Jimmy
Doing the right thing might not be easy,but it's always right.

Ask, Seek, Knock

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: JSwigga on January 10, 2014, 10:00:34 PM
Quote from: Delawhere Jack on January 10, 2014, 09:53:15 PM

We love WM too.  The cut throat was the deciding factor, we do so much live edge slabbing it would of been silly to not go with the widest we could get in our price range.  You're welcome anytime, and hopefully someday we can work together on some big jobs!

Yeah, big jobs would really rock! Right now, with the weather for the past few weeks any jobs would rock... Oh well, part of the business I guess. Here's to drier weather and warmer temps! SOON!!

JSwigga

Quote from: mudhog on January 10, 2014, 10:13:08 PM
JSwigga,

Don't know much about KC BBQ, but I know a little bit about a TK 2200. Your sawing world is getting ready to change. Hope you have a right good pile of logs. Better get the talon edger while you are there, you're going to need it. They can remove axle and load it right on the mill bed for you. ;D

Jimmy

I've been debating an edger for awhile. Might just look for a used one.
We have around 200 logs waiting to get milled so I can feed for while. 

Tom the Sawyer

JSwigga,

When do you plan to be at TK?  Are they going to take you through the operation and maintenance orientation?  That should take a little bit of time.  I usually stand back, don't want to drool on that new paint.   ;D ;D
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

LeeB

Don't know if they still do the manufacturing in the underground place or not. If they do, it's kind of neat to see.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

marcusthgault

Congratulations on your new TK Mill ;D.
I am especially envious of being able to collect ex factory. :'(
PS
What was mined outta the caverns TK use for Will's video presentations, limestone for building perhaps?.
As I had noticed the unusual walls in the background.
Marcus
Theres nathing as wouldnay werk better fer been teighn asundry furst.

Sixacresand

Congratulations on your new mill.  Hope you have a good trip.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill and, have a safe trip!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

I'm pretty sure it was limestone that was quarried out of there. I'm seriously claustrophobic, so I don't like going underground, but I think their facility is pretty neat. Congrats on the new mill. Don't forget to share some pics when you are up and running. 8)

BTW, Orange has a mill with a 34" throat. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dgdrls

JSwigga

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 11, 2014, 09:25:34 AM
I'm pretty sure it was limestone that was quarried out of there. I'm seriously claustrophobic, so I don't like going underground, but I think there facility is pretty neat. Congrats on the new mill. Don't forget to share some pics when you are up and running. 8)

BTW, Orange has a mill with a 34" throat. ;)

i have a few problems with the wide head lt 70.  First of all its 10 plus thousand more than the TK.  They didn't beef up the log deck at all for handling bigger logs, and it's much lighter than the TK. Everyone once and while we would roll a big log onto a lt 40 and the head would really get shook.  I know over time that isn't going to be good for an extended cantilever.  Plus the trailer only has single axle, 4 feet shorter and i'm not sure if it has breaks or not.  I think they will redesign the wide head trailer in the near future.

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on January 11, 2014, 01:19:01 AM
JSwigga,

When do you plan to be at TK?  Are they going to take you through the operation and maintenance orientation?  That should take a little bit of time.  I usually stand back, don't want to drool on that new paint.   ;D ;D

They have an orientation and training session for all new mill buyers.  We'll be there around 9 am on monday.

Dave Shepard

I respect your decision to go with a TK, but I doubt they are going to redesign the 70. It will take anything you can throw at it. Just because someone makes a mill with more steel, doesn't mean they have used that steel wisely. The single axle is sufficient, and has brakes. There is a bit of "backlash" in the WM heads. They wobble, it's not a problem.  :)

ETA: I'm not trying to get you to change your mind about the TK, I'm just trying to dispel any myths about the WM. A lot of people, almost all of them who have never owned a WM, have something to say about the cantileaver head. It's just not an issue.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ET

JSwigga: Congrats on getting your mill. You certainly have many enjoyable years sawing ahead of you. Dont forget some pics!
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

dchiapin

when I bought my TK B-20, I went to KC to pick it up. Before I left Florida I asked about the bbq and where to eat, they told me don't worry, they would treat me to the best KC bbq. Believe me it was fantastic. Ask them to take you to bbq, they probably will.
The crew at TK are some of the best people to do business with, any problems I have had with my B-20, they where there to help.
Congrats on the new mill

ladylake

A lot of us like our 4 post mills and I think TK uses the steel  wisely, there has to be a limit how wide a cantilevered head can go as even WM uses a 4 post on their industrial mills. One thing about a 4 poster is the blade has to stay level with the bed even after thousands of hours of use without having to adjust anything.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

JSwigga

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 11, 2014, 12:11:19 PM
I respect your decision to go with a TK, but I doubt they are going to redesign the 70. It will take anything you can throw at it. Just because someone makes a mill with more steel, doesn't mean they have used that steel wisely. The single axle is sufficient, and has brakes. There is a bit of "backlash" in the WM heads. They wobble, it's not a problem.  :)

ETA: I'm not trying to get you to change your mind about the TK, I'm just trying to dispel any myths about the WM. A lot of people, almost all of them who have never owned a WM, have something to say about the cantileaver head. It's just not an issue.

I've run a lt40 for a few years and don't get me wrong it's a great mill. I'm just worried about that lt70 wide head holding up over time. The 4 post just gives me more piece of mind. But really the price gap is the main issue.  It's not just couple thousand more it's like 15,000 more.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: ladylake on January 11, 2014, 01:36:25 PM

A lot of us like our 4 post mills and I think TK uses the steel  wisely, there has to be a limit how wide a cantilevered head can go as even WM uses a 4 post on their industrial mills. One thing about a 4 poster is the blade has to stay level with the bed even after thousands of hours of use.    Steve

Which industrial mill? The WM1000 is then only one I know of that doesn't use a cantileaver. Periodic checks of alignment make sure the cantileaver can also go tens of thousands of hours.

Thank You Sponsors!