iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl chainsaw 390

Started by Red Good, January 10, 2014, 04:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Good

Looks new , air cleaner has no dust and never been cleaned . Tanks have partial fuel and oil , from the looks of the saw the 1st tank . But it is missing the bar/clutch cover . Is it worth 300 dollars . Just checked my dealer and it looks like it's 500$ there . Are they a good saw ? Thanks ,Red

No one has an opinion on this saw ?
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

msjdgman

I have a 391 and truly do like the saw...same motor as the 390 I believe.  At just 64 cc it`s not the most powerful saw, but mine does what I ask of it.  As long as it runs, $300 should be about the top end considering it has no bar & clutch cover.  Why were those missing?  I know if I were still looking, I`d probably risk it.  Maybe try to get a few more bucks off it due to the missing parts.
Stihl MS250, MS290, MS391
JD 80EV

7sleeper

Quote from: msjdgman on January 11, 2014, 03:45:01 PM
I have a 391 and truly do like the saw...same motor as the 390 I believe.  At just 64 cc it`s not the most powerful saw, but mine does what I ask of it.  As long as it runs, $300 should be about the top end considering it has no bar & clutch cover.  Why were those missing?  I know if I were still looking, I`d probably risk it.  Maybe try to get a few more bucks off it due to the missing parts.
391 and 390 are totally different saws! 391 has a strato engine the 390 a conventional two stroke. All else is not interchangeable besides the bar and chain. Besides that excellent question! Why are the parts missing? Is everything really sound? Are the bar screws tight or have they been reinserted after a rather heavy trauma to the saw? Is it an original Stihl 390 engine or a Baileys shortblock? Many unanswered questions here.

SawTroll

The saw is a cheaply made "homeowner" model, that should be avoided by any serious user anyway.
Information collector.

beenthere

Is this a valid opinion? And if so, why?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

7sleeper

Quote from: Red Good on January 10, 2014, 04:02:11 PM
... Are they a good saw ? Thanks ,Red

No one has an opinion on this saw ?
Sorry forgot to answer your original question. As a firewooder it is a good saw and will serve you well. It's not the best out there, but in the world out there exist other saws besides Husqvarna 550 or 560/562. If it is well kept it will serve you well for many many years. Nothing at all wrong with it. It is the largest of the "farmer/semi pro" line of Stihl.
I find the price a little high in perspective to the missing parts and unknown previous treatment. You could get a Echo 590/600p on sale for little more and quality wise it would be a much better saw.

H 2 H

$300 is a little high IMO

There is nothing wrong with it for a fire wood saw

Check freebay for the cover or your local dealer for a used cover

Don't pay ANY attention to Saw Troll he has nothing good to say about any Stihl chain saw or product
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

clww

Quote from: H 2 H on January 11, 2014, 07:16:51 PM
$300 is a little high IMO

Don't pay ANY attention to Saw Troll he has nothing good to say about any Stihl chain saw or product
I agree with both statements!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

7sleeper

I don't agree. ST thinks that the european Stihl 361 was a good saw. But that is the only one. All others brands are non existent in his eyes.

H 2 H

Quote from: 7sleeper on January 11, 2014, 07:44:57 PM
I don't agree. ST thinks that the european Stihl 361 was a good saw. But that is the only one. All others brands are non existent in his eyes.

Has ANYONE ever seen a pic of said saw or any saw he owns ?

Brian

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

sawguy21

OP has a valid question, let us not derail the thread by get into personal attacks.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Red Good

Like I said it looked like the tanks had only been filled the once , the bar and chain were as new , and the air filter had nothing in it . Good compression on the rope . Checked with my local dealer on the way home yesterday and they told me about 45 dollars for the cover . Called the pawn shop and talked to the manager asked him to hold it for me till this morning and I would be in to get it today . Stopped to get some stuff in town and then ran into Tulsa and it was gone when I got there .
Currently using a 211 and the 390 felt like a pretty good step up . Oh well , next time I won't hesitate . Thanks for all the info guys . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

JohnG28

Don't be upset you missed out. Could be a lot of things and not even being able to run it first would have me leary regardless of looks. Could be rebuilt with cheap AM parts that look new? Tough unless you really get down into it. Find a used saw you can start snd preferably run if going that route. CL is a good place to look.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Andyshine77

Quote from: H 2 H on January 11, 2014, 08:06:58 PM
Quote from: 7sleeper on January 11, 2014, 07:44:57 PM

Has ANYONE ever seen a pic of said saw or any saw he owns ?

Yes many times.
Andre.

Andyshine77

Red the ms390's are a dime a dozen. Not bad saws at all, but at the same time nothing special. If you want to buy used, the old Poulan's like the 3400, 3700 and 4000 are great saw, and can be found in good shape for next to nothing. Just a thought.   
Andre.

7sleeper

Or maybe find a slightly used poulan 330. Much better saw. Can often be found cheap because it is missing the "Stihl" name tag! And if you need a saw very accute you can always get one of the Poulan Pro 5020 models for less than 200 and have a good saw for a beginning.

deerslayer

If the only thing missing was the clutch cover (and presumably the bar nuts) that would've been a great deal. They sold for over $500 new and the last 039 I sold I got $325 out of and I had used it myself for over 10 years.

This series of saw gets disparaged a lot but mostly by those that have never owned one. A saw that will start every time, is easy to get parts for and has worldwide dealer support is what brings a lot of people to pull out their wallet for them.

Are they the best saw out there? No, not by a long shot. However the average homeowner will never wear one out during their lifetime. I've cut a lot of wood with 1127 series saws and have no complaints.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Andyshine77

Quote from: 7sleeper on January 12, 2014, 04:14:16 AM
Or maybe find a slightly used poulan 330. Much better saw. Can often be found cheap because it is missing the "Stihl" name tag! And if you need a saw very accute you can always get one of the Poulan Pro 5020 models for less than 200 and have a good saw for a beginning.

The 330 is newer, but not really better than the saws I listed. I have a 3400 and I rebuilt a 4000. They're tanks that just don't stop running, and the make awesome firewood saws.

Here is my nice Skilsaw 1641, which is a Poulan 3400. I only use it at gtg's. I found it in the garage of a late friend of mine.

Andre.

7sleeper

Quote from: Andyshine77 on January 12, 2014, 09:59:07 PM

The 330 is newer, but not really better than the saws I listed. I have a 3400 and I rebuilt a 4000. They're tanks that just don't stop running, and the make awesome firewood saws.

Here is my nice Skilsaw 1641, which is a Poulan 3400. I only use it at gtg's. I found it in the garage of a late friend of mine.

Sorry my comment about "much better saw" was directed towards the 390. I am not so familiar with the older poulan saws. I have only read of high praises about the 330 when they were being sold out for very little money. But if you say the older versions are equally good then I trust your experience.

Andyshine77

Quote from: 7sleeper on January 13, 2014, 05:04:16 AM
Quote from: Andyshine77 on January 12, 2014, 09:59:07 PM

Sorry my comment about "much better saw" was directed towards the 390. I am not so familiar with the older poulan saws. I have only read of high praises about the 330 when they were being sold out for very little money. But if you say the older versions are equally good then I trust your experience.

No problem, not many people know just how good the older Poulan's really are. The 330 was about the last real Pro saw Poulan made. The 330 had a mag case, high quality Gilardoni top end, nice air filter and it will turn 13,500 rpm. For 200 bucks nothing on the market could touch it.

The 3400/4000 series saws shared the same basic bottom end. The top cover plastics were different on the larger saws, but everything was interchangeable. Because of supplies and demand, sometimes you'd end up with a saw that had 3400 stickers and covers, with a 3700 or 4000 top end. The good news is the never did the opposite, so some guys simply had really good running 3400's lol. They also made these saws under many different names, the Charfstman 3.7 is a Poulan 3400. Some were red and black, some were gray and black. you'd be surprised how many of these saws are still out there running, and how cheap and easy it can be to find them.

Now the 4200 to 5400 series are harder to come by, and go for a lot more cash as well, and for good reason. They have good chain speed and never ending torque. Here is my restored 5200.

BTW. Sorry to get so off topic.         
Andre.

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on January 11, 2014, 06:10:45 PM

It is what it is - a cheaply made and heavy plastic cased saw, with an open port clamshell engine.

In a nutshell, a saw model that should be avoided - but it will of course cut wood, and is of course better than the 310 and 290 (or rather, a little less bad).
Information collector.

qbilder

Quote from: SawTroll on January 14, 2014, 05:40:03 AM
Quote from: beenthere on January 11, 2014, 06:10:45 PM

It is what it is - a cheaply made and heavy plastic cased saw, with an open port clamshell engine.

In a nutshell, a saw model that should be avoided - but it will of course cut wood, and is of course better than the 310 and 290 (or rather, a little less bad).

Is this coming from a mechanic's perspective? Or a user? I have a 390 & it's a fine saw. Got it new five years ago & it runs exactly the same as new. It cuts nearly identical to my 460 until I hit 20"+ wood. I have an 029 that must be near 20yrs old. Still runs fine with only ever having the fuel tank vent tube replaced. Granted if felling a hillside, i'm bringing a 460. But for bucking logs in the yard or limbing before dragging logs, either of those "junk" saws do a fine job & don't give any trouble. Or at least, I haven't had trouble. I'm not a saw mechanic, either, so I may have a different opinion if I were working on saws all day long.
God bless our troops

H 2 H

If im not mistaking MS 290 is the biggest selling chain saw in the USA along with MS 250  :)  give me a beer  :)
Brian

7sleeper

Quote from: Andyshine77 on January 13, 2014, 05:19:33 PM

No problem, not many people know just how good the older Poulan's really are. The 330 was about the last real Pro saw Poulan made. The 330 had a mag case, high quality Gilardoni top end, nice air filter and it will turn 13,500 rpm. For 200 bucks nothing on the market could touch it.

The 3400/4000 series saws .....
Now the 4200 to 5400 series are harder to come by, and go for a lot more cash as well, and for good reason. They have good chain speed and never ending torque. Here is my restored 5200.

BTW. Sorry to get so off topic.         
Thanks for the feedback! That sure sounded like enthusiasm on this end.  ;D But one thing I noticed from the pictures is that they don't have a chain break, is that correct?.
Again thanks for the info!

7sleeper

Quote from: H 2 H on January 14, 2014, 11:53:21 AM
If im not mistaking MS 290 is the biggest selling chain saw in the USA along with MS 250  :)  give me a beer  :)
But we all know that all those saws are only for braging rights, not for cutting wood....  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!