iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clean shops

Started by logman 219, January 10, 2014, 08:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman 219

have seen post with pictures of wood shops here and other sites. my question is  were do you get the elfs, or leprechauns that keep the shops so spotless??? no sawdust to be seen on anything , no wood scraps on floor, nothing on work bench not even a pencil!!! hoe do they do that???  i dont have that many hours in the day!!!

LeeB

Not my shop. It looks like downtown Damascus.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DR_Buck

My pictures were taken when the shop was new.   :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Andy White

logman219
My shop is by no means "clean" . The tablesaw infeed and outfeed tables I keep clear for safety reasons, but every flat surface has tools, materials, and all kinds of misc. parts and pieces of the current project that I may be working on at the time. If I would make myself put the corded tools up as I finish with them, it would be much neater. The dust collector remote is always somewhere that I am not! Just little changes of habit would make my shop a lot easier to work in. About once a month, I have a massive "cleanup" and everything gets saved because "I might need that"!! It's a full time battle, but is a battle that I love fighting.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

davidlarson

My wife hired (with my approval) a woman whose work is to help people bring some order to the chaos of their house or shop.  The woman says she won't work for hoarders, but she took on the project of my shop, which was, I admit, pretty chaotic.  Now it is tidy, and I can always quickly find any tool or item I need.  This makes me much more efficient, and I can quickly finish most minor jobs that previously were hard to do, or even not possible, because I couldn't find the tool I needed.  Unfortunately, now I have in an orderly row on hooks about 12 utility knives, 8 pliers, 5 wire cutters, 10 loppers, etc. because in the past when I couldn't find the wire cutter, or whatever, after a lengthy, fruitless and frustrating search I would buy another.  That row of utility knives stares at me critically, and helps to remind me to keep things tidy.  Now my shop is in good shape, projects go smoothly, and the shop is almost as comfortable a place as a man cave.  I'm very grateful to that woman!
David L.

thecfarm

I bet I have more tape measures than you have utility knives.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

davidlarson

You might have, but if you do, you have a bunch.   :D

thecfarm

I have a bunch.  :D  About 10
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Phorester

One advantage I've found with my small workshop is that I can turn from my tool storage to my workbench and back with at most two steps if I'm at one end of the woodworking bench. If I'm in the middle, no steps needed. Just turn around, get the tool I need, turn back around to the bench. So I will sometimes grab a tool, use it, then turn around and immediately put it back in its place during the job so I know where it is for the next use. (But that's about the only advantage to my small shop.  Otherwise it's difficult to bring in and store lumber, much worse with plywood, not much room around the saws, crowded with another person,  etc.)

Also, after several years of just walking away from the clutter of a finished job and not being able to find tools later, I got into the habit of putting everything away and brushing off the bench, vacuuming or sweeping the floor, etc. right when I get done with a job.  So everything is neat, in place, and ready for the next job. Can't believe I started doing that, I'm not usually that organized. (You should see my desk at work). Pretty satisfying though.

red oaks lumber

a clean shop is a safe shop, espesially if you have employees. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

You can never have enough tape measures  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

I try to keep mine picked up, but there's always something out.  I try to do one full, complete cleaning per year of the whole shop.  Most stuff in my shop is on wheels and I have a bunch of movers 4 wheel carpeted dollies on hand to move stuff.  I'll move everything outside one summer or spring day, blow it all off with air hose, do the same inside, sweep, and clean as needed.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

thecfarm

I use to work in a factory. The machines would get behind that was doing the cutting and there would be a bunch of work on the floor. I always kept it neat and organized so the guys running the machines knew how much work they had with just a glance, I would also organized the racks for the cutting fixtures. A,B,C,1,2,3,would be kept that way. Left on the left and rights on the rights. very easy to find what a person wanted. I had many guys say your garage must look perfect. I would say,it's a mess. No one pays me to keep it clean.  ;D

isawlogs

I saw those clean shops also, sure aint my case. I have at times four different projects laying around in different stage of finish and then I may start another just to mess things up further. I have a wood furnace heating the shop, it gets well fead when clean up time comes around.
  I have as many tapes as you guys and I have to look hard to find two... Pencils are worst, I buy them by the dozen and yet they run away on me.  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Pencil?  if you reach up, you will find one behind your ear (Avatar Pic  :D).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

That picture always reminds me of my Father when he was building our house.

isawlogs

Ray, I really hope that that (Tom) is a good memory. If so I am honored.

Danny , that there pencil is so far away now... many , many have been sharpened and have gone to pencil land.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

isawlogs,yes it is. :) very happy. I was probably close by sleeping. The sound of the skil saw and the hammer would put me to sleep. I was not even a year old when the house was going up.

chet

I try to keep mine cleaned up between projects. I guess I'm just an orderly kinda guy.  :D  Dat and it makes it lots easier ta find
da tools when I need um, and not hafta always worry about tripping over stuff.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

isawlogs

I could of said that too.   ;D :D

Marcel

hardtailjohn

Well....this is timely! I am in the midst of rearranging my shops... My building is 60x80 including the 60x20 "woodshop" on the one side, with a wall and roll up door separating it from the main "hangar".  I'd been doing a restoration on an airplane in the "woodshop" as well as the sleighs and stuff, but the guy lost his job, so the airplane went away.  So I've decided to dedicate the small wood shop to wood and moved all the sheet metal working tools (shears, brakes, rolls, radius brakes, wheels, etc.) out into the hangar, and stuffed all my woodworking tools in the small shop where they belong, along with setting up a dust control, and a few more cabinets. The only other tools in there now are my 2 antique leather sewing machines.... I figure that the harness repair goes along well enough with the sleighs that it can live together.
In all of this, it's time to clean! In the summer, we're so busy that we don't get time to tidy up much after we finish a project...that's winter work. So I'm finding all sorts of goodies that I'd thought disappeared in the 2 separate shops... like the 2" combination wrench... or my dividers.... a whole herd of tape measures and sharpies!
I'm glad to hear others aren't perfect when it comes to keeping it all picked up. My airplane shop used to be spotless... but that just doesn't happen anymore...nor is it just the airplane shop...there's crushers, loaders, trucks, pickups, lathes, etc......
My Grandpa used to say that when he wanted a tool, he should be able to look down and find it! ;D  I do try to do better than that, but dust and scraps are just part of the "ambiance" in a shop to me!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Texas Ranger

Clean shop?  WE don' need no stinkin clean shop!

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Phorester

Long as you can find stuff, TR.  ;D

ET

My current shop is 900 sq ft with no windows so id have lots of wall space. I also have my forge in there which takes up about 25% of it. I have 7 workbenches in there with all the saws and cabinets including a drafting table. Im lucky to have paths. Cant wait to get my new barn built as im going to build a new 20x30 woodworking (only) shop. Then maybe i can find my dozen yo yos too!
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

mmartone

I love this thread! My shop is 26x48 and a complete disaster, 2 cars, outboard engines, wood, steel, welders, table saw, radial arm saw, drill presses, planer, tool box, power tools, tanning bed, 10 chainsaws, paint cabinet, wire, hoses, piles of parts and pieces. There are some paths and I can usually move some stuff to get some usable bench space, I HATE it. Wish I had one of those clean up ladies to come help me organize.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

isawlogs

Tell me the tanning bed is for hides and not your butt!    :-X   ???

Marcel

Magicman

No question, I liked my small shop much better than my much larger shop.  I could get more done, plus it was much cleaner.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

TR,

I think that is you, lost in the planer shavings. 

chet

And here I thought I had a well equipped shop. Now I got ta find me a tanning bed.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

21incher

Since I installed my dust collector my shop stays pretty clean and in the winter all small pieces and scrap go in the woodstove. My biggest mess is now made when I do a lot of freehand routing. My only problem is the pile of tools that accumulates on the workbench making it unusable.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

DR_Buck

Hi, My name is Dave and I'm here because I have a problem..

Somewhere in this mess is the stuff I need to finish the dozen or so projects I'm working on.    ;D

LeeB

No problem there. At least you can see the floor. Lindy has a fit anytime she goes into my shop. Wants to start throwing stuff out. She is therefor forbidden to go in without me, and mostly forbidden to go in at all. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Lud

There's no reason to get crazy about clean up,  that's what the backpack blower and a good SW wind is for!  Beyond that , all you have to do is remember where you last used it. IMHO

Like everything else you have to strike a balance.  I know a guy who you could eat off his garage floor but he rarely makes anything.  During a somewhat loud discussion my Dad allowed as how, " Imagination may be Number One, but Organization better be Number Two."

I try to stay organized, tho it's not my nature,  still I would agree with Dad that Organization is Number Two. :D :D ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

hardtailjohn

Yeah DR_Buck....you've got a problem.  The way I see it is that your problem is that you just don't have enough stuff yet! :D  You've got room for more, so have at it!! :D  I always said I was going to rebuild all my benches to an angle instead of flat, so that anything set on them would hit the floor.... but then I thought long and hard about that, and I'd just have a pile of stuff on the floor to bend over and pick up! haha   I'm so glad to see someone else's shop look like mine!!!

logman 219

Dr Buck I see in one picture you have a  plano glue press made by advancs machinery , how do you use it a lot for large panels or what???

DR_Buck

Quote from: logman 219 on January 12, 2014, 08:24:12 PM
Dr Buck I see in one picture you have a  plano glue press made by advancs machinery , how do you use it a lot for large panels or what???

Just got the clamp system.  The boards in the picture are the first use of it.  There are 4 pair of glued up oak boards to make wider boards for one of my projects.    It is the small clamp and will glue up to 40" width.   They make a taller model.   

Tom L

Quote from: WDH on January 10, 2014, 08:23:42 PM
You can never have enough tape measures  :).

just had to buy three more yesterday, put a brand new one in the basement, garage , and upstairs workroom

the other 50 are hiding somewhere, wish I new their secret vacation spot

Mooseherder

I've lost a Palm Sander recently.  It just walked off and disappeared. ::)

logman 219

Dr Buck  I have the same glue press bought on the last day of a woodworking show 5 or 6 years ago. was pricey but got a real deal on it . after some use i ordered one track and two more clamps from factory.I paid more for them than the hole system.That said I use it for large glue ups it works supper so long as your material is real close to same thickness .I have clamps set at 16" on center and then use jorgensen I-beam clamps in between.Ive glued up some large table tops 1 1/4 by 40  by 8 feet long with great results. I have used two clamps at a time for door panel glue ups you can stack panels on top of each other and load each pair of clamps.. the only negative is the wall space it takes up. here is another clamping system that works well for door glue ups  www.rrclamp . com  they stack on top of each other , i weld mine together in to one unit to take out the shake.

bedway

I suffer from this affliction we shall call lets say, " never achieves completion". Over the course of a year ill probly start 6 major cleanings of my shop. Ill get half way across and sometimes three quarters thru the shop but then for some reason get diverted to something else. Im afraid to admit i think that last quarter of my shop hasnt been cleaned in 10 years. Must be where the machines, tools, and various other stuff have gone to hide. Oh well, some day hopefully ;D

DR_Buck

Quote from: bedway on January 13, 2014, 10:28:33 AM
I suffer from this affliction we shall call lets say, " never achieves completion". Over the course of a year ill probly start 6 major cleanings of my shop. Ill get half way across and sometimes three quarters thru the shop but then for some reason get diverted to something else. Im afraid to admit i think that last quarter of my shop hasnt been cleaned in 10 years. Must be where the machines, tools, and various other stuff have gone to hide. Oh well, some day hopefully ;D

Start on that side first next time you get ambition.   :D

bedway

Ya know DR_Buck, the wife said the same thing, but it didnt seem so vindictive coming from you. ;D

hardtailjohn

I think the tapes go to the same place to hide that socks do when you put them in the dryer. I bought 12 pair of socks... put them in the dryer and ran it...got 23 socks out, and NONE match! :o  ;)  A friend of mine used to say it's all gone to the "cosmic muffy"..... As good of an explanation as I've ever come up with!

5quarter

A couple times a year I throw the bay doors open and clean my shop with the leaf blower. The subsequent cloud is usually large enough to produce it's own weather.  :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

MattJ

Your post inspired me to take some pictures of the shop.  I just cleaned it, pulled everything out and painted it.  Even added pictures to the walls (and a spent TOW missle as a conversation piece!).  Probably the cleanest it will ever be so I had to document it. 

For dust collection I have a delta dust collector with a trashcan separator, a few shopvacs including one mounted to my miter saw, and a dust filter hanging from the ceiling I just installed.  Safety equipment is an investment in your body that I realized through a few poor choices.  I made it a bigger focus now.

Peter Drouin

Mine is always a mess  :D :D :D

maybe some day  :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

5quarter

Peter...I was gonna say you didn't have enough stuff cause I could still see the floor. Then I saw the third pic...

you're good to go.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Red Good

Is there a difference between clutter {to many projects } and clean ?

I have 6 or 7 projects on the go all the time due to customer money flow , but the floor is always clean .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Peter, if that was my shop....I'd strike a match to it.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 17, 2014, 08:41:56 AM
Peter, if that was my shop....I'd strike a match to it.  :D :D :D

say_what
A&P saw Mill LLC.

isawlogs

Why... I like his shop, I bet I could find my way around it so much it looks like mine. I am sure I can not spend any more time there lookin' for tools then I do in my own.  :D :D :D

Marcel

Peter Drouin

Quote from: isawlogs on January 17, 2014, 09:40:07 PM
Why... I like his shop, I bet I could find my way around it so much it looks like mine. I am sure I can not spend any more time there lookin' for tools then I do in my own.  :D :D :D

smiley_thumbsup  :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: DR_Buck on January 12, 2014, 10:09:46 AM

Can you just push that nice saw fence all the way to the right to get a big empty table to work on?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

LeeB

I don't know if I should tll ya'll this or not.  :-[ Lindy went down to my shop to look for something the other day and thought it had been broken in to. The back door was open and a cabinet i had on the wall full of hand planes was down with the planes everywhere. She looked around and couldn't find anything missing but said the shop was a mess with tool box drawers open and some broken glass on the floor. My chainsaws were still there and none of my other equipment gone. All of this determined by emails. I'm at work right now. Best I can tell is that the door blew open in the high winds they had the other day and nocked the shelf off the wall, blew over a cardboad box with some pieces of glass in it and broke them. The rest of the mess is my normal clutter and disarray. She is none too happy. She won't accept that it is my shop to keep in whatever state I want.  ::)

thecfarm

Just about time for a sign,No Girls Allowed.  ;D

LeeB

This may not be such a good idea. I do still like to come in the house now and then.  :D :D

isawlogs

Lee, we married cousins  dadgum you, Charlie! bat_smailey  ::)   smiley_smug01   

Marcel

LeeB

condolences my friend. :D :D :D

Sonofman

A clean shop is a sign of a sick mind.  :D :D
Located due west of Due West.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

davch00

A clean shop? I didn't know there was such a thing as a clean shop.

jueston

Quote from: davch00 on January 26, 2014, 06:34:39 AM
A clean shop? I didn't know there was such a thing as a clean shop.

that was my thought when i saw the title of this post... i try to clean sometimes, i'll get 25% through and find some project i started but never finished, i'll start working on it, and by the time i get back to cleaning, you can't tell i started.... then i repeat the process....

the worst is when im working on something big, or i get an order for a bunch of cutting boards or something, then i just keep saying "i'll clean when i finish" and by the time i do finish, i'm up to my ankles in saw dust, and every single hand tool i own is out on top of the table saw and workbench... :o

sawguy21

I make do with a 12x16 garden shed so some resemblance of order is mandatory. Had to get rid of 'stuff' that got shoved in 'cause I might need it some day, I got tired of climbing over boxes to reach a hammer or the grass trimmer. Now that I can walk to the tool box I have to start on it along with the shelves. Need to make room for a Homelite VI-922 on cl that is looking for a home. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stinny

This "therapy" chat has been fun. I feel better already. Thought I was the only guy with a tornado storage shop. And, about all those unfinished projects... like I said, feel much better now...
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

Peter Drouin

Good we all could help. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Klicker

I will never have a clean shop. But it is getting cleaner since I hooked up an outside wood boiler
2006 LT 40 HD

Thank You Sponsors!