iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clean shops

Started by logman 219, January 10, 2014, 08:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman 219

have seen post with pictures of wood shops here and other sites. my question is  were do you get the elfs, or leprechauns that keep the shops so spotless??? no sawdust to be seen on anything , no wood scraps on floor, nothing on work bench not even a pencil!!! hoe do they do that???  i dont have that many hours in the day!!!

LeeB

Not my shop. It looks like downtown Damascus.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DR Buck

My pictures were taken when the shop was new.   :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Andy White

logman219
My shop is by no means "clean" . The tablesaw infeed and outfeed tables I keep clear for safety reasons, but every flat surface has tools, materials, and all kinds of misc. parts and pieces of the current project that I may be working on at the time. If I would make myself put the corded tools up as I finish with them, it would be much neater. The dust collector remote is always somewhere that I am not! Just little changes of habit would make my shop a lot easier to work in. About once a month, I have a massive "cleanup" and everything gets saved because "I might need that"!! It's a full time battle, but is a battle that I love fighting.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

davidlarson

My wife hired (with my approval) a woman whose work is to help people bring some order to the chaos of their house or shop.  The woman says she won't work for hoarders, but she took on the project of my shop, which was, I admit, pretty chaotic.  Now it is tidy, and I can always quickly find any tool or item I need.  This makes me much more efficient, and I can quickly finish most minor jobs that previously were hard to do, or even not possible, because I couldn't find the tool I needed.  Unfortunately, now I have in an orderly row on hooks about 12 utility knives, 8 pliers, 5 wire cutters, 10 loppers, etc. because in the past when I couldn't find the wire cutter, or whatever, after a lengthy, fruitless and frustrating search I would buy another.  That row of utility knives stares at me critically, and helps to remind me to keep things tidy.  Now my shop is in good shape, projects go smoothly, and the shop is almost as comfortable a place as a man cave.  I'm very grateful to that woman!
David L.

thecfarm

I bet I have more tape measures than you have utility knives.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

davidlarson

You might have, but if you do, you have a bunch.   :D

thecfarm

I have a bunch.  :D  About 10
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Phorester

One advantage I've found with my small workshop is that I can turn from my tool storage to my workbench and back with at most two steps if I'm at one end of the woodworking bench. If I'm in the middle, no steps needed. Just turn around, get the tool I need, turn back around to the bench. So I will sometimes grab a tool, use it, then turn around and immediately put it back in its place during the job so I know where it is for the next use. (But that's about the only advantage to my small shop.  Otherwise it's difficult to bring in and store lumber, much worse with plywood, not much room around the saws, crowded with another person,  etc.)

Also, after several years of just walking away from the clutter of a finished job and not being able to find tools later, I got into the habit of putting everything away and brushing off the bench, vacuuming or sweeping the floor, etc. right when I get done with a job.  So everything is neat, in place, and ready for the next job. Can't believe I started doing that, I'm not usually that organized. (You should see my desk at work). Pretty satisfying though.

red oaks lumber

a clean shop is a safe shop, espesially if you have employees. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

You can never have enough tape measures  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

I try to keep mine picked up, but there's always something out.  I try to do one full, complete cleaning per year of the whole shop.  Most stuff in my shop is on wheels and I have a bunch of movers 4 wheel carpeted dollies on hand to move stuff.  I'll move everything outside one summer or spring day, blow it all off with air hose, do the same inside, sweep, and clean as needed.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

thecfarm

I use to work in a factory. The machines would get behind that was doing the cutting and there would be a bunch of work on the floor. I always kept it neat and organized so the guys running the machines knew how much work they had with just a glance, I would also organized the racks for the cutting fixtures. A,B,C,1,2,3,would be kept that way. Left on the left and rights on the rights. very easy to find what a person wanted. I had many guys say your garage must look perfect. I would say,it's a mess. No one pays me to keep it clean.  ;D

isawlogs

I saw those clean shops also, sure aint my case. I have at times four different projects laying around in different stage of finish and then I may start another just to mess things up further. I have a wood furnace heating the shop, it gets well fead when clean up time comes around.
  I have as many tapes as you guys and I have to look hard to find two... Pencils are worst, I buy them by the dozen and yet they run away on me.  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Pencil?  if you reach up, you will find one behind your ear (Avatar Pic  :D).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

That picture always reminds me of my Father when he was building our house.

isawlogs

Ray, I really hope that that (Tom) is a good memory. If so I am honored.

Danny , that there pencil is so far away now... many , many have been sharpened and have gone to pencil land.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

isawlogs,yes it is. :) very happy. I was probably close by sleeping. The sound of the skil saw and the hammer would put me to sleep. I was not even a year old when the house was going up.

chet

I try to keep mine cleaned up between projects. I guess I'm just an orderly kinda guy.  :D  Dat and it makes it lots easier ta find
da tools when I need um, and not hafta always worry about tripping over stuff.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

isawlogs

I could of said that too.   ;D :D

Marcel

hardtailjohn

Well....this is timely! I am in the midst of rearranging my shops... My building is 60x80 including the 60x20 "woodshop" on the one side, with a wall and roll up door separating it from the main "hangar".  I'd been doing a restoration on an airplane in the "woodshop" as well as the sleighs and stuff, but the guy lost his job, so the airplane went away.  So I've decided to dedicate the small wood shop to wood and moved all the sheet metal working tools (shears, brakes, rolls, radius brakes, wheels, etc.) out into the hangar, and stuffed all my woodworking tools in the small shop where they belong, along with setting up a dust control, and a few more cabinets. The only other tools in there now are my 2 antique leather sewing machines.... I figure that the harness repair goes along well enough with the sleighs that it can live together.
In all of this, it's time to clean! In the summer, we're so busy that we don't get time to tidy up much after we finish a project...that's winter work. So I'm finding all sorts of goodies that I'd thought disappeared in the 2 separate shops... like the 2" combination wrench... or my dividers.... a whole herd of tape measures and sharpies!
I'm glad to hear others aren't perfect when it comes to keeping it all picked up. My airplane shop used to be spotless... but that just doesn't happen anymore...nor is it just the airplane shop...there's crushers, loaders, trucks, pickups, lathes, etc......
My Grandpa used to say that when he wanted a tool, he should be able to look down and find it! ;D  I do try to do better than that, but dust and scraps are just part of the "ambiance" in a shop to me!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Texas Ranger

Clean shop?  WE don' need no stinkin clean shop!

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Phorester

Long as you can find stuff, TR.  ;D

ET

My current shop is 900 sq ft with no windows so id have lots of wall space. I also have my forge in there which takes up about 25% of it. I have 7 workbenches in there with all the saws and cabinets including a drafting table. Im lucky to have paths. Cant wait to get my new barn built as im going to build a new 20x30 woodworking (only) shop. Then maybe i can find my dozen yo yos too!
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

mmartone

I love this thread! My shop is 26x48 and a complete disaster, 2 cars, outboard engines, wood, steel, welders, table saw, radial arm saw, drill presses, planer, tool box, power tools, tanning bed, 10 chainsaws, paint cabinet, wire, hoses, piles of parts and pieces. There are some paths and I can usually move some stuff to get some usable bench space, I HATE it. Wish I had one of those clean up ladies to come help me organize.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Thank You Sponsors!