iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for Ideas - Small Gift for 5 year old boy

Started by Jason_AliceMae Farms, January 08, 2014, 12:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_AliceMae Farms

I am looking for some ideas or suggestions for small gift ideas for a 5 year old boy.  This will be for a friend's little boy for his Birthday this summer.  I am looking for something small so a blanket chest/bookshelf type items are out.

I am interested in hearing or seeing what others have done.  I like the log truck that Jeff made so that is the inspiration for making something for him this year.  I have thought about a piggy bank, a fire truck, some type of keepsake picture frame, etc. 

What types of small gifts have you all made in the past for your own kids or other youngsters?
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

beenthere

Something that he can build things with. Lincoln logs come to mind, or the truck to haul things.
Or small farm buildings with wood fencing to set up in different ways maybe with some small carved animals, etc.

Who is he around in his playing time?
I ask because my 4 yr old son years ago wanted a hammer holster like mine. Didn't know that until one day I was checking out of the lumber store when he came up to me with two different ones in his hand. Asked me which one I liked best (one was a leather loop and the other had a steel U-shaped loop). I said that I like the leather the best. He laid it on the counter and said "Ok, I'll take the other one back"   ;D
I had no choice at that moment but to buy him a hammer holster.  :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

The wooden vehicle would be on my list. Maybe something he could pull behind him.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ancjr

I've made a few of the 4 note wooden "train whistles" for kids.  Once you make one, making another goes much faster.

thecfarm

At that age a logging truck would of kept me busy for hours. Than Christmas build him a skidder  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Build it and then disassemble it so that it will be in "kit form".  That way he can use a screwdriver, etc. and build it himself.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

giant splinter

Little boys like lego's and they will use them for many years (even girls like them). they make a great small gift........... For a little guy that likes a hammer I think a small tree fort is perfect and give them some good safe instruction while they help you build it.
roll with it

Piston

I like the log truck idea, I know when I was 5, I would have LOVED something like that! 

It's tough to say, these days kids just want ipads and video games.   >:(

Do you have a link to the toy truck Jeff built?  I'd like to see that.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Holmes

Piston, Must be nice to remember when you were 5.. ;D ;D ;D
Think like a farmer.

Piston

Quote from: Holmes on January 09, 2014, 07:14:37 AM
Piston, Must be nice to remember when you were 5.. ;D ;D ;D
:D :D
It wasn't that long ago....
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Piston - I can't seem to find the thread of the logging truck build, it was not that long ago but I guess my search skills are not that good.  Hopefully someone smarter can help out with a link to it.

I am liking the log truck and Lincoln log idea more and more.....time to start thinking about a jig for the logs and to start looking for some wood.

MM - I like the suggestion for the truck and making it a "kit" for him to build.  I know that would have kept me busy for awhile when I was that age, actually who am I kidding I may have to build a set of logs and a truck for myself now too so I can play  8)

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

Roxie

Quote from: ancjr on January 08, 2014, 01:12:32 PM
I've made a few of the 4 note wooden "train whistles" for kids.  Once you make one, making another goes much faster.

The five year old's that I know would love this!  i also know a certain 10 year old that would love a train whistle. 
Say when

thurlow

My nephew has always loved working on/building stuff;  when he was 5 (coulda been 6), I built him an old timey carpenter's tool box......the kind with vee sides and a handle running the length of the top.  It was small.......maybe 16 or 18 inches in length.  I put it together and photographed  the process, the different pieces and how they went together;  it was held together with torx head screws.  Also bought one-a-them Chinese-made 18v cordless drills w/appropriate bit.  (cost about 20 bucks at the time as I recall)  Took it apart and put the pieces, screws, drill, pictures, etc in a big box.  He loved it and his parents had to force him to open the rest of his presents before putting it together.  I've got pictures somewhere of him sitting in the floor putting it together...............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ancjr

thecfarm

Just make sure that is the last gift that he opens.  ;D

thurlow

Couldn't find the pics of him putting it together, but I did find the pics of the toolbox:

For his 6th birthday, I gave him a folding stool kit.......built just as before;  he still had his drill..........

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Magicman

I love it. 

I never gave Marty anything but tools after he turned 9 years old.  The message always was to learn to do it yourself.  It worked.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

When my grandson was that age I built him a small toy top with a launching handle and a pull string he had to wind up. It was only a small simple toy, but he wound up having hours of fun with it plus it would fit in his pocket along with his matchbox cars for traveling.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

MattJ

For my kids (5 and 7) we built the toolbox together and I gave them some hand tools and wood scraps to go with it.  I got them an old eggbeater style drill, hand brace and bits, and a semi dull handsaw (and a pair of safety glasses).  The first day they drilled probably 200 holes in the scrap wood.  It was fun with the old tools, they are learning and with me but also safe.  Nobody will drill through their hand with a hand powered drill.  They were all fairly cheap, bought them from Roy Underhill's (woodwright's shop host on PBS) store in Pittsboro, NC. 

ancjr

Quote from: MattJNobody will drill through their hand with a hand powered drill.

Wasn't a hand drill, but a brace & bit... but when I was about 5, had a round piece wedged between my feet... slipped and it rolled... ran the pointed paddle bit right into the top of my foot.  I played with the circular saws, radial arm saw, all sorts of power tools at the same age and (miraculously?) never had a power tool injury for another 20-some years when I had a (miraculously?) non-permanent-injury kick-back on a tablesaw.  That one injury with the drill gave me a lot of respect for tools.  :D

Jason_AliceMae Farms

I had some time and some small pieces of pine laying around so I decided it was time to give this a go and try making something.  The only pieces that I had to buy were the dowels but I am working on getting my Grandfather's Shop Smith set up so I can turn my own in the future (or maybe even a treadle lathe to get some exercise   ;)) .   I still may make some other things and I may even make something like this for myself to keep maybe out of some maple and walnut instead of staining the pine.  The holes for the axels had to be done with a hand drill (not ideal at all) so you can see in the second picture the truck has some "character" with a little lean.  I didn't have anymore pieces big enough to make a new piece.

I just notice that I didn't add any protection on the cab for the driver, so the load will have to be strapped down well and driven carefully so a log does not come flying through the back of the cab  :)

thecfarm

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jason_AliceMae Farms

I figure I would try a loader next and then a sawmill, truck does not do much good unless you can get the logs onto it  :).

I also started to draw out some ideas for a wheeled dozer with a driver that comes apart.  The base of the driver would be a flathead screwdriver to take out all of the screws made from dowels holding it all together.  I had something similar as a kid but that one will wait until I get the lathe going and learn/practice how to cut some large threads.

I hope he has as much fun with it as I did building it.  My dad help build this one too so that was also a big bonus for me  8)

Thank You Sponsors!