iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Craigs List finds!

Started by Ljohnsaw, January 07, 2014, 11:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

There is a thread on Thrift Store finds but I didn't want to pollute that any more than I already have with a CL find.  So, here is a new thread.

Last night, I saw a free ad for a 3,500w generator and two lawn mowers.  So I jump on the phone and they say the generator ran two years ago but was spilling gas so they shut it off and haven't used it since.  I figure just a bad/cracked fuel line.  It was about an hours drive from my place but the wife offered to meet me where she works (an elementary school) that is only 15 minutes from me!

So here is what I got -

Looks to me to be a 4kw unit - maybe that is the peak power.  It has a 20amp 240v outlet as well as the twist lock 120v.  It turns over (not seized), so that's a good sign.  Its a Tecumseh engine but at least it is a cast iron sleeve.  I think I know where its leaking fuel -

[Edit:]And a make-do on the exhaust-

Sorry, a little blurry with my phone but the last barb on the carb connection is exposed from the fuel line not being pushed all the way on.  Also, notice the angle of the fuel line - I don't think its seated at all!  The oil in the crank case looks brand new but the outside looks to be heavily abused - lots of dings and dents.  Tomorrow, I will check it out.  Hopefully, I will have a power source for my cabin build this coming summer!  Off to look for a manual on the web...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

hardtailjohn

Good find!!  Craigslist is one of my favorites!! My wife's awesome at finding "good" deals there... our 1 ton, sawmill, horse trailer, wagons, sleighs, sewing machines, and the list goes on and on.....   
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

justallan1

When I lived in Sacramento I used CL a lot and got some nice deals. Where I live now it's about 100 miles to the nearest big town, so I really have to want something to drive that far. I did find a home gym on there for about 1/6th of the new price. Ya, that thing gets used a lot! :D

Allan

ancjr

I got a good trailer on CL.  99% of the time, can't get a response.

Al_Smith

If a person is selective often times you can get some good deals on CL .Conversely sometimes people have unrealistic prices .

Piston

You have to be very careful on craigslist!  Right now there is a Stihl MS281 on CL.  Nothing but chinese junk! 

However, I've bought a LOT from craigslist, at very good prices! 

Good find on the genny.   ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Ljohnsaw

OK, you saw the before when I picked it up yesterday, here is the after shots:

All clean

Now this is how a fuel line should be attached (with new line).  The old one fell off when I touched it!  I also added an exhaust manifold gasket - runs a little quieter now!  Also replaced the bolt that held it on. (added a before shot to my original post)

Another overall look.  I didn't have any orange paint to match so I didn't re-paint the generator cover, just the engine parts with gloss and the muffler and heat shields with stove paint.

Gave it an oil change and straightened out the tray that everything is mounted on.  There are two big rubber pads under the motor end and one under the generator end (though the weights are reversed).  It looked like it was dropped and the tray was bend down in the middle where an engine mount is located and the two bumpers under the generator housing dented the housing.  Next up is to put some wheels on this monster - it weighs a ton!  It might help it to stay put if I put air-filled tires to absorb the vibrations.  Right now it slowly spins clockwise when running on the driveway.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

WOW!  That is quite the difference.  8)

Good find and hope it treats you well. If not, should be able to turn a decent profit on your "investment" (in paint ;D ).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JohnG28

Looks much better. Techumseh makes a good engine, my snowblower has an 8hp that's old and still runs well. I have found a lot of good stuff on CL too.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!