iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 detroit smoking more then normal?

Started by logman81, January 07, 2014, 06:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Well guys I have a question about the motor in the new skidder. It is smoking a lot more then other  353 did? Here is what I know, when I first start is it smokes a bit what I think is more then normal. When giving it a little throttle it still smokes, then if I give it close to full throttle it clears up with little to no smoke. If I let off on the throttle it starts smoking again. It does not smell like oil burning and I have a dry air filter in it. No oil on end of blower housing. All the air and fuel filters are new. It seems like it is getting to much fuel at lower engine speeds. Could the injectors be a little out of time?
Precision Firewood & Logging

s grinder

What is your coolant temp.running,if not getting up to running tempature in this weather could be [cold smoke].Is it a blue/white smoke?

ehp

did you run the skidder ever before this or has it been smoking like this seen you bought it ?  Is it using any oil ? Plus I know my skidder smokes more in the cold weather than when its warmer out and another thing is , if the motor is not up to operating temp. it will smoke alot more in the cold . If not using oil and was like this from the start and motor seems to start and run well , maybe someone has been playing with the injectors and put a bigger size or 2 in it

logman81

Bluish white smoke I ran it for a good half hour to make sure it was up to temp didn't seem to change it.

luvmexfood

I am by no means even close to being a mechanic or even a shade tree mechanic. But, it could be, that it still is not getting up to a normal running temp due to thermostat or something.

Once worked at a place where the maintenance supervisor would remove the thermostat from one of our vehicles instead of replacing it. No heat in days like this. Exhaust leaked into interior etc. Finally after some newer employees on our department got together and refused to drive it until exhaust leak was repaired and heat fixed finally something was done.

Things went on like you wouldn't believe. His brother was the janitorial supervisor. Refused to buy his employees rubber gloves to use to clean with. He would use the same little johnny mop to clean the unirals and comodes and then go clean the sinks with them. Said it did not matter the cleaner had disenfectant in it.

Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

julio

If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

logman81

I'm not sure yet I've only run it for a total of about an hour around my place to learn the controls. It does leak a little out around the oil pan gasket

BargeMonkey

Valve guide seals or guides themselves are worn, either way thats my bet. You going to notice it more at higher oil pressure especially at start up before the machine is warmed up. I have a 353 in my forwarder, I figure 1/2 quart a day and thats average.

ga jones

If the rack is set hot it will smoke blue fuel a little
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

M_S_S

I am not a big GM fan , haven't worked on them for 30 plus years, but sounds like an injector problem. I would work it, see if it clears up. Ed
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

David-L

Best is to put it in the woods and get it up to temp and see what happens then. See what the temp is with a temp gauge you can buy at the auto store to see if your temp gauge in the control panel is right. Mine smokes when its real cold a bit. you really have to run it under load and keep track of oil consumption. Good luck, is the motor sounding good with no skips logman.
                                                                        David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

mad murdock

I would throw some ATF in the fuel tank and run her good and hard when you get to the woods to see if it clears up, could be a little coking or something on an injector, like DavidL says might clear up. The ATF seems to help a lot on the detroits, if the injectors are a little dirty.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

coxy

sounds like one of two things not getting up to temp or they have bigger injectors n50s most have n45s or one more thing they my have the rack bumped up a little high   my rack is a little high if you go up hill pulling the smoke is black

Ed_K

Run it, my 4-53 smoked for 11 yrs before it was rebuilt.It has 260 hrs and still smokes till I get it to 196 degs and pulling a hitch.Little blue smoke keeps the skeeters away  ;D :D.
Ed K

logman81

Well I don't know the water temp the gauge isn't working so I'll replace it, then go from there. I know it has howes in it, but not sure how old or what type of diesel? Their doesn't seem to be any skipping, step on the throttle and speeds right up no problem.

treeslayer2003

logman81

I already have howes in it, what is the ATF going to do over that? What do think the problem is? Dirty injector, improper timing?

Dave Shepard

I'd work it for a couple of hours before I started to worry too much. Was the machine sitting when you bought it? I am having a similar issue with my TJ, and I think I've narrowed it down to just not having proper winter fuel in it. Once it warms up all the smoke goes away.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

logman81

Yes It has been sitting for awhile before I bought it. I'm going to replace the temp gauge, top off the engine oil and run it for a bit once the weather warms up. My other 353 never smoked at all, this one smokes a lot but not all the time. I'll take a pic of it idling so you can see the smoke color.

OntarioAl

logman81
When I was logging full time I had 4 Detroit's on the go (2-53, 3-53, 4-53 and 6V-92), the shop foreman at the local Detroit dealer advised me that the best tonic was a quart of ATF in the tank at least once a month.
Detroit's like to be worked hard to get them up to operating temperature all that air blowing around inside tends to cool them off if they are not loaded up.
Mine smokes a little blue when its cold but clears up when she goes to work and yes
I have the larger injectors lots of power but she loves the fuel.
I hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

treeslayer2003

Al, what did ya have a 2-53 in?
ATF lubricates and cleans the injectors. this low sulfer fuel is hard on the injectors. ATF will not hurt a thing in any diesel. I have filled the filter full of it and saved a sticky injector that hadn't stuck yet. its good stuff for older engines boys.

logman81

Ya ok, I put a quart of ATF in it and filled the oil up. Seems most of the smoking is when it's cold and at lower rpm's, when running at higher rpm all most no smoke. Seems to have more power then my tf did?

treeslayer2003

could have bigger injectors or tuned better.

logman81

OntarioAl

treeslayer2003
The 2-53 was a power unit that I used to run my tag-a long slasher, I fed it with Drott 35 powered by a 4-53.
Al
Al Raman

Thank You Sponsors!