iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead Birds

Started by Autocar, January 07, 2014, 04:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

This cold weather here sure is hard on my birds that we are feeding every day I picked up one froze like a rock. Went out side to get wood and there in my path was a morning dove, setting on a branch was its mate. I picked it up and there was ice balls on its feet and it was like a rock already. Maybe its me but I don't remember the wind blowing like this when I was a boy. At ten below with a twenty mile per hour wind know wonder they freeze  ::).
Bill

ReggieT

drobertson

Have not seen any dead ones yet, but sure is allot of poop on the packed snow and ice,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

chain

Those birds may gorge their selves on bird feed and they need water to digest. Doves taking big hit but front moving in with possible freezing rain and warmer temps may save what is left.

Water critical.

chevytaHOE5674

Most of our birds migrate south for the winter. About all that is left are chickadee's and crows.

sprucebunny

I thought crows migrated and ravens stayed ???

Just ckickadees, nuthatches and a few goldfinch left here. Mourning doves moved south months ago.

Where do they get water ? Can't they just eat snow ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ET

My wife feeds the birds rain or snow. It was -19 here and i havnt seen any dead birds. We have doves, gold finches, chicades, cardinals, bluejays, sparrows, and others i dont know their names. Is it true that if you start feeding you should not stop because they will die?
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: sprucebunny on January 08, 2014, 08:28:39 AM
I thought crows migrated and ravens stayed ???

Could be. They both look the same to me.

tgalbraith

I find a few dead birds each year, but I think most of them flew into windows.  They seem to be fooled into
thinking they can fly thru the house when they can see thru it.   I have a pair of mourning doves that stay
all winter and it was -25f the other day. :)
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

chain

What is causing most our dead birds is Mr. & Mrs. Cooper's Hawk. The hawks have put total fear in the backyard feeder birds. Doves, song sparrows, crowned sparrows, cardinals....and others have paid the price. Exception, Mr. Mockingbird who ,so far, has survived, but has been chased into the junipers more than once.

I moved the main seed-feeder and suet blocks to the thick hedge area to protect more of the birds, seemed to have worked.

ReggieT

Wow...a Copper's hawk...got any pics??? ::)

SwampDonkey

We have morning doves here all winter. I see them along the road like the pigeons picking gravel for their crop. We have some crows that stay here to, ravens like to be away from people up here, so see them in remote areas more. See red poles, waxwings, finches, juncos, tree sparrows, blue jays, nuthatches, chickadees.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Doves don't migrate .The reason they often have 5 or 6 broods a year is the fact they are just plain stupid .About everything eats them .

SwampDonkey

They do migrate if they summer further north of here, and I mean within this tiny province. And of course way up north to.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Well geeze Swampish they'd likely freeze  to death up yonder in winter time .Down here where it's nice and toasty in the subtropics they stay put .

We stopped putting out bird seed a few years ago .Problem was it drew the owls,hawks and an occasional raven that liked to dine on little birds.

doctorb

I thought this thread was about the Baltimore Orioles. ;)
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Chuck White

We have Chickadees, Nuthatches, Gold Finches, Blue Jays, Crows, Ravens, Wild Turkeys, Piliated Wood Peckers, Hairy Wood Peckers, Downy Wood Peckers around our place.

Finally got cold enough those stupid geese moved on!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

They reported seeing a wild turkey here last week near a neighboring town. Something like that makes news since they are out of place around here. I do believe a few were released into northern Maine, which is just a mile away.

There are pileated woodpeckers at my old spruce trees because of the ants. If I hang some suet out I get all them other woodpeckers to. But they are around in the woods when going for a snow shoe around the lot.

Al_Smith

It seems the last few years we have turkeys galore. Individual flocks don't seem to move around much .

We generally only see the pilated woodpecker a few times a years .I believe this area is about the southern extreme of their range .

The other peckerwood species ,downey ,hairly northern flicker,red headed ,red breasted ,sap sucker you can see about all year round

The resident Canada geese being the giant species never leave except for extremely nasty weather.If they start flocking up and flying out you'd better batten down the hatchs because the hawk of winter is going to do something .

chain

We have the pilated in southern Missouri, saw a couple last week. They seem to stay mostly in the larger woods. But the geese & ducks, tens of thousands, snows, white-fronted, canadas were massing in the rice fields this past thaw. They trade back and forth to the Gulf rice areas at freeze-up, then back up to northern fringes in Missouri , NE Arkansas during the thaws. Use to hunt geese on the Mississippi river sand bars and chutes, but rice fields have pulled nearly all waterfowl and eagles to the fields.

Al_Smith

The bald eagles are interesting .I've seen more and more of them .Fact last week one flew over as I was plowing snow .

One thing about birds of prey,they must have prey to survive .Their very presence suggests a healthy eco system .

SwampDonkey

Mom watches the bald eagles every day at the house, over looks the river. I saw one today at the house to. I also saw a great big old red tailed hawk land in a cedar top along the highway today.

doctorb

Once you learn the very distinctive voice of the pileated woodpecker, you'll "see" a whole lot more of them.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Al_Smith

Well you can certainly hear the big pilated wood peckers .They sound like a jack hammer .

The little itty bitty peckers are funny,hairy and downey .One goes up the tree and the other goes down the tree .I forgot which is which .

Blue jays are bird bullys,typical of the crow family .At a feeder they intimidate every other bird but two .The northern flicker and the red breasted wood pecker .Both of them wave that big old beak around like a cavalry  sword .The jays want nothing to do with them,they know .

beenthere

Quoteare funny,hairy and downey .One goes up the tree and the other goes down the tree .I forgot which is which .

One would think then that the Downy would be the one that goes down..  ;D

But it sounds like the nuthatch bird that is down. ;)

Hard to tell the two apart, hairy and downy. But the hairy is larger by some.

http://birding.about.com/od/identifyingbirds/a/downyorhairy.htm

No mention of a distinct behavior difference that one feeds down.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!