iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Older stihl's

Started by WoodBros, January 07, 2014, 10:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodBros

So I see people posting on here about 036's and 044's etc and i am assuming these where from stihl's older line of saws, does anyone have a link to a list of all those saws? Would like to know the exact saw everyone is talking about.
-Wood Brothers

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

AdkStihl

My early production 044 (10mm)

My early production 034 (front chain adjust)

J.Miller Photography

HolmenTree

Very nice brochures and pics AdkStihl :new_year:
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

:D I guess it's all in what a person considers "old".

beenthere

I would have thought "old" was pre-brake lock era.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ZeroJunk

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 07, 2014, 12:58:11 PM
:D I guess it's all in what a person considers "old".

I was thinking my Homelite 7-19 C was old.

Al_Smith

HolmenTree

Quote from: beenthere on January 07, 2014, 01:03:24 PM
dis yooper would have thought "old" was pre-brake lock era.  ;)
Before 1977, a time when McCulloch put chain brakes on all their saws ;D

Al_Smith

---and a good many of those yellow saws soon became brakeless .

HolmenTree

dis yooper would have thought "old" was pre-brake lock era.  ;)

I'll be a little more politically correct "In 1975 McCulloch is first manufacturer to offer chain brake on saws in every weight class ".

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 07, 2014, 04:14:16 PM
---and a good many of those yellow saws soon became brakeless .
Al, here's a good one for you...."From the country with one of the worlds leading timber exports in 1980 the Canadian Safety Standard (CSA) requires chainsaw brake on all gas-powered chain saws".

Al_Smith

It's a good idea no doubt about that .

ktoom

I love seeing old brochures like that lol

thecfarm

I had an 032 way back when I was a youngin'.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawTroll

Quote from: sablatnic on January 07, 2014, 11:23:51 AM
A link?
Something like these?

http://www.motorsaegensammler.de/Uebersicht.htm
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView
Be aware that there are lots of mistakes regarding the introduction years of that generation of Stihl saws on Acres site.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 07, 2014, 12:01:35 PM
Very nice brochures and pics AdkStihl :new_year:
I agree - but the year and market of each one really should have been posted....
Information collector.

rocksnstumps

My definition would be points and condensors or electronic ignition. I have several boat motors in the former category that I'm still nursing along. Gotta pull the flywheel to do anything. The 041AV inherited from the old man is one of the early versions with electronic ignitions I hear. No new electronic module available these days however so I'm told not to put too time/money in to keep running. If that goes it's kaput.

Oh yeah, no brake either. Gotta "hand guard" though

SawTroll

I would have thought "old" was pre-brake lock era.  ;)
That almosts puts it back to the 1960s, with some brands.....
Information collector.

beenthere

QuoteThat almosts puts it back to the 1960s, with some brands.....

Which brands would they be?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on January 07, 2014, 11:06:02 PM

Jonsereds made it an option in 1973, I'm not sure about other brands. If any brand was earlier, my guess would be Partner....

However, this is mostly of anecdotal value, as the early brakes weren't really effective, nowhere close to the modern ones!
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on January 07, 2014, 11:12:29 PM
Quote from: beenthere on January 07, 2014, 11:06:02 PM

Jonsereds made it an option in 1973, I'm not sure about other brands. If any brand was earlier, my guess would be Partner....

However, this is mostly of anecdotal value, as the early brakes weren't really effective, nowhere close to the modern ones!
From my information:
* in 1968 Partner introduces a "hand-protector attachment". Now I have no info if it was an actual chain brake or just a hand guard.
*Jan. 1972 Jonsereds advertises the model 50 with chain brake ,but like SawTroll says they were inefficient with a ignition cut out switch and a small friction puck on clutch drum. Model 621 had it in 1973.
*Stihl's history forum they claim to have introduced the "QuickStop" chain brake in 1972 which is a true brake band [dead man grip] chain brake. l 
*As my 1st and 2nd picture shows also in 1972 a company in Sweden advertises their own "dead man grip" chain brake which they claim can adapt to most chainsaws as a after market attachment.

HolmenTree

I messed up my last post trying to put script between pictures. So here are the last 2 pics.
*1st is a 1976 ad of the Husqvarna 240 with full dead man grip chain brake with full top handle grip coverage activation. The 162 was introduced shortly after. In 1976 the 240 and 162 revolutionized the chainsaw industry, notice the same basic design of todays models 38 years later.
*Last pic shows an ad from Dec. 1979 of a Husqvarna with no chain brake. Up until this time chain brakes were not good marketing tools in North America, even Stihl took a few years to advertise the QuickStop chain brake after they introduced it in 1972.

Al_Smith

This discussion of chain brakes especialy Stihls you would not believe how many I've had come if for repairs .It's usually a consumer type saw like an 029 .

They somehow trip the brake and just keep on chugging away .They stop when the smoke rolls .It turns the clutch drums blue and burns up the plastic .Doesn't take long either .For those who don't know the engine can over power the brake most of the time .Runs but not real well .I'd have thought that to be a clue but evidently not to a few .

Thank You Sponsors!