iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rubber goods

Started by ely, January 07, 2014, 08:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

I could not decide where to put this topic so here goes...
I was reading in the chainsaw group about rubber lines being affected by gas.
I have been complaining for years about the quality of windshield wipers, when I was 16 I could put a set on a pickup and forget about them. now days they seem to last less than 5 months before they fail or at least start streaking and squeaking.
any gas line that is in the sun does not last either. the rubber products seem to me are getting cheaper in quality as time goes by.

Magicman

Carbon black is the chief "UV inhibitor" ingredient used in rubber products and I have no idea if there are any industry requirements. 

Most of today's rubber bungee straps will snap instead of stretching.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Most of today's rubber products aren't rubber anyway!

Most are neoprene or laytex or a combination of both!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

And the price of wipers?  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hilltop366

Not lasting in the sun reminds me of the canvas covered airplanes, back in the late 70's my dad had a piper tripacer the canvas use to last a long time but the last few years he had it he found that if the plane was tied down outside the canvas would degrade rather quickly, it was like some thing changed in the atmosphere like stronger uv rays or pollution.

Also I had to change my tractor tires last year (12 years old) because they rotted away, I blame that on the materials they were made from, my brother's tractor tires were a lot older and in better shape.

Chuck White

Quote from: Hilltop366 on January 07, 2014, 10:33:38 AM
Not lasting in the sun reminds me of the canvas covered airplanes, back in the late 70's my dad had a piper tripacer the canvas use to last a long time but the last few years he had it he found that if the plane was tied down outside the canvas would degrade rather quickly, it was like some thing changed in the atmosphere like stronger uv rays or pollution.

Also I had to change my tractor tires last year (12 years old) because they rotted away, I blame that on the materials they were made from, my brother's tractor tires were a lot older and in better shape.

I think that the sun is a lot hotter these days than it was back in the 50's - 70's!

In the summer time, just take a glance at the sun, it's very white compared to the yellow it used to be!

Back then we didn't need to be so aware of the dangers of sunburn as we are today!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!