iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS362 White Limiting Caps

Started by double clutchin weasel, January 06, 2014, 06:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

double clutchin weasel

Hi, all.

Son just picked up a new Stihl MS362. The dealer "tuned" it. Then he brought it to me. Both lo & hi adjustments needed tweaked.

The lo and throttle stop were easily adjusted to factory specs. Easy & quick.

The hi adjustment, of course, needs a little more. It's hitting the rev limiter well before full throttle. Needs to be a little richer, especially during break-in.

Problem is, this one has white limiter caps on both needles. The last 362 I tuned only had one cap; a red one on the hi needle. So, I have red caps, but no white ones.

The only picture I found online of a white cap was for what looked like an external cap. These are recessed flush in the carb, similar to the red ones.

Anybody know the part number(s) for the new white caps? After we go to the trouble to take the saw down far enough to get it out, I'd really like to have a new one to put back in there.

Thanks!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

SawTroll

I would think that any Stihl dealer should be able to help you?
Information collector.

Andyshine77

Can you take a pic of the caps? You'll likely need to remove the card to delete the limiters, I know I had to on my 362. On the older Stihl models you could pull them with the carb still on the saw.
Andre.

double clutchin weasel

1.  We are going to check with "the other" dealer tomorrow.  He's more helpful.  But then, he's also the one who gave me the part numbers for the red caps!  Don't know that he was aware of the newer, white caps.  We always have better luck when we have the correct part numbers in hand...makes it easier on everybody.

2.  Tried taking pictures, but you can't see through the maze well enough!  On the last 362, I had to remove the air filter and the air filter box, which requires removing the nuts on the studs coming through the carb.  Once the plastic box was removed (and it was a bit of a pain), the caps could be pulled off using a homemade version of the Stihl cap puller (basically a 3mm X 0.5 LH screw, as I recall).  Stuck the tool through the hole, threaded it into the cap, and it jacked it right off!

The holes in the saw body are large enough to pull the caps through, I think.  But, the holes through the air filter box appear to be too small.

Incidentally, the 362's I've touched don't have the rubber "boot" around the needles like the 361 had.

Was just hoping somebody might have already been through this.

Does anybody out there even HAVE on of these newer saws with the 2 white caps, instead of the 1 red one?

junkfxr

Quote from: double clutchin weasel on January 06, 2014, 07:48:10 PM

Does anybody out there even HAVE on of these newer saws with the 2 white caps, instead of the 1 red one?

I just looked at the one that I picked up last week and it has the white caps. It's been a while since I've got a new saw and haven't seen caps like these. Definitely different than what I was used to seeing. Oh well, always something new to try to figure out how to get around.

double clutchin weasel

Quote from: junkfxr on January 07, 2014, 01:52:02 PM
Quote from: double clutchin weasel on January 06, 2014, 07:48:10 PM

I just looked at the one that I picked up last week and it has the white caps. It's been a while since I've got a new saw and haven't seen caps like these. Definitely different than what I was used to seeing. Oh well, always something new to try to figure out how to get around.
Yep. Luckily, the kid at "the other" dealer was able to order a handful. The hi & lo are different, by the way.
He also popped the originals off for my boy.

It is now tuned about 400 rpm short of the rev limiter for break-in. After that, we will fine tune it.

And, once again, the tach was invaluable in setting the initial mixture.

Thank You Sponsors!