iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Workshops in the Southeast for a newbie

Started by ilnoca, January 06, 2014, 02:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilnoca

I hope I'm not re-hashing earlier topics too much, but I'd like to take a week-long workshop this spring or summer to both get experience in timber building as well as get a better understanding of using the square rule, timber and joint selection, and other useful concepts. Other than reading the Chappell and Sobon books multiple times and having some experience with stick building (and pouring over this forum) I'm a complete greenhorn. My goal is to get a solid foundation so when I finally buy some land I'll have the basic skills to design and build a smallish building that can be used as a home away from the city.

So far I'm looking at Cowee and Goshen in Franklin, NC and Grand Oaks in Lebanon, TN, although I'm open to any school within an eight-hour drive of central Virginia.

While I suspect all the schools have their pros and cons, I'd like to hear from people who have take workshops or done apprentices at these or similar locations so I can get a better idea of which one might be the best fit for me. (From reading through earlier posts I also get the sense that I probably can't go wrong with any of them.) Any comments or impressions would be greatly appreciated.

One other thing for any framers who work around central Virginia or north-Central NC: do you ever take on free labor who mainly just do gopher work in exchange for asking incessant questions about the building process?

Thanks,
Sam

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Your good timber framing contacts will be along shortly and give you a hand.

8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Roger Nair

The Timber Framers Guild has a park pavilion project early spring in Texas.

http://www.tfguild.org/projects
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

ilnoca

I really want to do the the project in Nacogdoches but I'll be in New Mexico for work during that week--I love being able to travel for my job, but it can limit my recreational activities.

Thanks,
Sam

danreed76

Sam:

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

You'll surely find lots of good information on here.  I had planned on hosting a workshop last year in the Atlanta, GA area, but ended up horribly behind schedule to to weather and a bit of re-prioritizing that had to take place.  Anyhow, if we can get the interest up and figure out the best dates for one or two workshops this winter/spring, I'd be glad to organize something with one of the experienced framers.  Either way, my winter will be invested in cutting the frame for our new home, hopefully for a spring/early summer raising.

Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Brian_Weekley

Welcome to the forum.  I highly recommend taking the timber frame workshop at the Hancock Shaker Village in western MA.  It's probably within the 8 hr range to you, albeit at the far end.  This course is taught by two masters of the trade:  Jack Sobon and Dave Carlon.  You will exclusively learn the traditional techniques in a way I doubt you can find at many other places.  It will definitely influence the way you do timber framing.  It's also a great value for a 5 day course at a beautiful location.  You also have the opportunity to tour the Shaker Village and study the construction of the historic buildings there.  This course is only taught one time a year in September for a limited number of students.  I took it in 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The course for 2014 hasn't been posted yet, so keep your eyes open for it.  I guarantee you will not be disappointed in this experience!

http://hancockshakervillage.org/ai1ec_event/timberframing-workshop-3/?instance_id=

e aho laula

ilnoca

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm sure I'll be pestering you with plenty of other questions as I get my feet wet in timber framing.

Dan, count me in if you're able to set up a workshop in GA this year. I'm probably going to be in Atlanta a few times this year anyway, so I should be able to take a few days off and join in.

Thanks,
Sam

Thehardway

Sam,

Your not too far from me.  I'm near Gretna,VA about halfway between Lynchburg and Danville.  I'm not really qualified to have an apprentice as I am not a master but I would be happy to have you come and I will be happy to share what limited knowledge I have.  I could certainly get your feet wet. 

I can show you a little bit on selecting and milling timbers, selecting and sharpening tools, drawing, layout and raising.  I would do it in exchange for you being a helper.

Getting your feet wet is good even if you are going to go to a class as it helps you prepare intelligent questions and you can use the school instuctors knowledge to iron out any areas you are struggling with.

Your profile is a little scant, let us know a little bit more about yourself, what resources you have available, what tools you already have, what you plan to do and achieve.

There are usually some TFG rendezvous in Northern, VA and they usually have a team headed up from VMI.  Check the guild rendezvous schedule, you can participate in these at a reasonable cost and learn a bunch from seeing the work done.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

charleswalton

Quote from: danreed76 on January 06, 2014, 09:02:26 PM
Sam:

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

You'll surely find lots of good information on here.  I had planned on hosting a workshop last year in the Atlanta, GA area, but ended up horribly behind schedule to to weather and a bit of re-prioritizing that had to take place.  Anyhow, if we can get the interest up and figure out the best dates for one or two workshops this winter/spring, I'd be glad to organize something with one of the experienced framers.  Either way, my winter will be invested in cutting the frame for our new home, hopefully for a spring/early summer raising.

Dan
Let me know if you ever do a workshop near Atlanta,I'm in Dallas Ga.Thanks

danreed76

Between the replies on here, emails, and pms, it sounds like we have a good bit of interest developing for a workshop near ATL.  I'll work on some possible dates and get some feedback from those interested.

-Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

FalconFan

I would also be interested in coming to a workshop in ATL

Thank You Sponsors!