iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price for seasoned firewood.

Started by BargeMonkey, January 05, 2014, 11:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Im just wondering what other guys in the northeast are getting for a cord of seasoned wood. Ive heard in NH-VT its over 275-300 in spots, just wanting to get a better idea.

Maine logger88

Here in Maine I'm getting 250 but I've heard of others getting more
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

luvmexfood

Here in SW VA. I saw it listed a couple places on CL for $120 a cord. Wouldn't cut it for that.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

rick f

around here we are getting $225 green and goes for $250 seasoned if we have any left.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Woodboogah

I dont sell cut split delivered wood but the going rate in SE NH is 250-280 seasoned.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

thecfarm

Maine logger88 is right. Buy it in June for 200,maybe 180.Put it in woodshed,come Dec.it's seasoned. Save 50-70 a cord.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

90% of my customers arent smart enough or have funds enough to buy ahead. I deal with the state heating program and I have SMASHED thru a pile of wood this year. Yeah the price is about the same as here, problem is to stay ahead of it, try cutting 5-700 cord in your "part time".. lol

Mountain_d

I am in the Pembroke area Ontario and getting $275 delivered for green wood delivered In spring and $290 delivered for seasoned wood delivered in fall. Beech and maple.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Firewoodjoe

$195 here. Needs to be at least $50 more in my opinion.

SwampDonkey

BargeMonkey, if they don't have it now, they won't have it later. It's called saving up knowing that you need wood every year. Waiting until the day before is expensive and foolish. I get firewood delivered a lot cheaper up here and I buy ahead. Put it away inside, bone dry by the time I need it. Don't need anything but a couple sheets of newspaper to start it if I let it out. The neighbors just burnt their shop down burning green stuff off the stump. I have been seeing them wading snow the last few weeks with the tractor and return with a bucket of green wood each time. I was wondering how long this would last. Last summer they tore down a bunch of outbuildings that were falling down around them, all linked together and right beside that OWB. And quite near the house they were. Good thing they cleaned that mess up or it could have been far worst.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

I'm assuming that is for a full cord and not a rick?

$60 a rick in Tenn delivered and stacked 2 rick min.

$125 rick here in Florida delivered.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Phorester

$100 - $150 per standard cord in my town delivered.  In Virginia, it is law that to advertise the sale of a cord of wood, it must be a standard cord; 4 feet x 4 feet x 8 feet.

enigmaT120

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on January 07, 2014, 05:13:38 AM
$195 here. Needs to be at least $50 more in my opinion.

It's about that around here, for Douglas Fir.  More for hardwood, but not a lot more.  I've never sold any, I just cut about 5 cords a year for myself.  Pre-commercial thinning.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

thecfarm

enigmaT120,I know things are different where you are. Here in Maine you could not give softwood away to burn. Even hemlock nobody wants to burn. That will coal down a little and can control it better than white pine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Just heard that Propane has just taken about a 20% jump in price, likely due to the cold snap and an opportune time to rake in some big bucks on refills.

Might reflect itself in increased price for seasoned firewood along with an increase in firewood demand.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GRANITEstateMP

I get $205 cord green, seasoned / dry WAS $235 a cord, haven't had any in months!  A local fella has Kiln dry wood and that is going for $320 a cord delivered.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

luvmexfood

Down here I can't give any wood away. If they would cut laps and cull trunks to get them out of way. Don't even have to pile the brush. And I'm talking oak, hickory, maple, walnut.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

BargeMonkey

I ran short a few years ago and bought 16 baskets I could slide into my kiln or set inside the heated mill building to get it under 20 % MC. There used to be alot of guys around selling 20-50 cord a year, well they have went the way of the dinosaur.  Im gone 6 months out of the year on the boat, so to keep 200-400 cord on hand can be a little hard. The problem is by the time you figure in the cost, the equipment and insurance you arent left with much.

Southside

Holy ol' bald headed, throw me down the stairs my hat, with the price like that me gonna skip the second week of deer camp and cut some fire wood, I heard a guy on the swap show on the radio today with a garage for sale, I am gonna call that guy and buy that garage, I move it to the camp with the rusty ol' Chevrolet, it make a good wood shed that garage.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

In my area, hardwood pulp prices keep the firewood prices in line.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ReggieT

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 07, 2014, 05:34:03 AM
BargeMonkey, if they don't have it now, they won't have it later. It's called saving up knowing that you need wood every year. Waiting until the day before is expensive and foolish. I get firewood delivered a lot cheaper up here and I buy ahead. Put it away inside, bone dry by the time I need it. Don't need anything but a couple sheets of newspaper to start it if I let it out. The neighbors just burnt their shop down burning green stuff off the stump. I have been seeing them wading snow the last few weeks with the tractor and return with a bucket of green wood each time. I was wondering how long this would last. Last summer they tore down a bunch of outbuildings that were falling down around them, all linked together and right beside that OWB. And quite near the house they were. Good thing they cleaned that mess up or it could have been far worst.

Hey Swamp...how did they catch the shop on fire & burn it down with green wood?
I always heard that green had so much moisture...that all it did was mostly hiss and you use all your fire just trying to get it to burn...

Just curious...looks like I've got a neighbor or two who are doing the same thing! :o
Burning tons of willow & box elder...and hour or two after felling!!!

Thanks
Reggie

KyLogger

We have heated with wood my whole life, and I would burn nothing but green wood! Hardwood granted, but green none the less. I have work hand who keeps firewood cut and split on the landing (I pull out cull logs, paperwood size stuff, and cutoffs) for him to work up. Load it up once a week and take it home, burn, repeat. It burns hotter, and it will creosote up a bit more than seasoned wood, but we will burn half as much wood compared to seasoned. Just my observations...

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

thecfarm

Swampdonkey said they had an OWB. When I tried that green stuff,both hardwood and soft wood,I felt I burned twice as much wood. I maybe a little high on the twice,but I still think it takes more green wood than even dead wood.

KyLogger

Just my observations, we have an Surflame OWB for the house, and a wood stove in the shop. The green wood, once it gets really burning burns hotter and doesn't want to smuther down as much with the damper.
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

beenthere

Ky
QuoteIt burns hotter, and it will creosote up a bit more than seasoned wood, but we will burn half as much wood compared to seasoned. Just my observations...

That doesn't calculate out very well.

Keep on observing..  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!