iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wanting to purchase a tj 225a skidder

Started by axesmasher, January 05, 2014, 10:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axesmasher

ok so this is my first ever post!  8) on any forum actually hah i grew up cutting firewood on our property and have been driving a skidsteer and john deere 6410 and a john deere 955 since i can remember i learned a whole lot of respect for machinery chainsaws and axes   ( the axes took a wile  when i was a kid i broke a few axe handles splitting wood) i have been a mechanic for about 5 years and did my first engine re & re at 16 years old, yes i may be young and i have made some mistakes  but hey  live an learn   im looking at buying a skidder and i found one for my budget i think just off the top of my head would any of you consider putting a 453t in a 225a tj?  because i can get one from the wreckers down the road from me for almost scrap value

the good: found a 74 tj225a on kijiji for 3000$ he is willing to sell me a set of ring chains, he has changed all the fluids in it minus the engine oil (below will explain why) the guy is willing to deliver it to my farm in Huntsville

the bad: the Detroit 353 has a big hole in the side of it

the ugly: the front tires are worn and there is not a speck of paint left on the *DanG thing

oh one other thing  :new_year: y'all

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.

thecfarm

axesmasher,welcome to the forum. I broke a few maul handles off,much to my Father dismay.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Neilo

If it is a 1974 year, it is not a A series. At that age it should be a D series. A photo will help us with the age of the machine.

I don't think a 453 will fit in the frame of a 225, the frame is probably too short. If it does, it will require sergery to the hydraulic pump linkage and probably move the transmission back.

Maine logger88

Welcome to the forum! If its a 74 its not an A series the A's didn't come out till the 80's as far as a 453t you would have to do some fab work to make it fit and it would be a lot of power for a 225 almost double the power of the stock motor
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Maine logger88

Oops I guess neilo already said about the same thing

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum axesmasher!  I would look for another 353, or another similar sized industrial diesel, and then if you have the $$ the tools/skills and the time, go for it!  You will have a machine that you will know a lot about, so you will be able to operate it for years to come and maintain it yourself for the most part. The old machines are still well worth the effort, they don't build them Like they use to!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Glenn

Axesmasher - you need to come to the east side of Algonquin.  There are a few timberjacks for sale here in decent running shape.  I know of one old 225 that has been completely overhauled for sale and several average condition machines.

Maine372

your motor issue has been addressed. so ill skip that.

tires, as long as they hold air run them. the chains will give you all the grip you need. if the tire is slipping inside the chain, run a short peice of chain from each side of the chain to a bolt through the wheel.

and paint is a luxury, youll just feel bad when you put a scratch on it anyways.

axesmasher

WOW WOW WOW  ;D I was not expecting this much attention   thanks to all that posted  i got talking to a guy from work today and he said hes seen a quick fix he said if i put a new piston and connecting rod in it and re sleeve the cylinder i could drill holes around the hole and tap them, then bend up a piece of like 1/4 inch plate and seal it up  it would at least hold coolant again and work for a wile   to me this seems a little sketchy  but hey ive seen some pretty darn cool ingenuity from some guys who have been in the trade for 30 odd years what do y'all think?  of course i would be looking for a new engine though it would just be a temp fix    on that thought   could i fit a deutz fit in it?  because where i am a lot of the marsh farmers have deutz powered equipment that i could probably score for a reasonable price thanks again for the welcoming

axesmasher

as for the "A" "D" model designation letter  ...sorry about that should have been paying a little more attention  ::)  the guy who is selling it told me it has rockwell axles i hope he is true i guess the only other axles they came with were the eaton ones? ill try to get pictures of it  i feel like i should list some of my equipment in my sig but since my uncle has retired his stihl fleet  my sig would be a page long   i now have about 10 saws of all different shapes and sizes!  working on getting them all running lol i may  not even need to sharpen a single chain all season HAHAH   

Maine logger88

I have heard of people fixing blocks like that with good results i have no personal experience with it tho.Yeh most likely if its a 74 its Rockwell why don't you like the Eaton rears there a lot bigger than the rockwells

bushhog920

buddy made a cover plate for his dozer that had a big hole in the block, drilled and tapped the block with some rtv worked good.

axesmasher

marine logger 88   to be honest i am just more comfortable working on them a buddy of mine on the marsh has an M931a1 AM general (deuce and a ½) military truck and i helped him rebuild all 3 of the axles on it  ive never worked on an eaton   im not bashing eaton by any means its just that if ever something was to happen in the bush on a -35 degree day id like to be in and out as fast as possible 

good to hear there is some tested and true evidence of the patch-a-block method  haha i might give it a shot just to get her running then at least i can work with it till i find a new engine 

Bobus2003

Fixed a hole in the block of my dads old case skid steer with liquid steel and some chicken wire. Held up fine for a while

Maine logger88

Yeh I was just curious there's nothing wrong with either one. Come to think of it dads 230 with a 353
had a piece of diamond plate welded on the block no idea how they did it but it was on there when he bought it and still there when he sold it so it definitely can be done depending on how bad a hole and where it is in the block

axesmasher

Hahahah what the heck is dis yooper LOL  typo. I sent that on my mac i still dont know how to use it.  I ment    this season. 

axesmasher

Disregard my last post. My phone and computer are acting up. Or maybe i need glasses. I defiantly thought i made a typo but on further inspection i did not.      Very weird. 

Shotgun

Quote from: axesmasher on January 07, 2014, 07:59:49 PM
Disregard my last post. My phone and computer are acting up. Or maybe i need glasses. I defiantly thought i made a typo but on further inspection i did not.      Very weird.

You're just not paying attention to your keyboard.      :D
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

M_S_S

I have seen blocks welded, think they used NyeRod (not sure if that is the correct spelling) I do now it is used for welding cast. Also have seen them patched. I think a lot would epend on were the piston came out, if it screwed up the water jackets or not. If it didn't you should be able to resleave and patch the hole. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

BargeMonkey

I know where there is a 353 in a machine, and I know it would go relatively cheap. Listen, ive been down this road, bite the bullet and put a 4bt in it. They have them for 2k-2500 all day long. I had to put a head on my 353, rebuild the blower and check the bottom, cost me almost 5k done by a good mechanic. Just my 2 cents but if I knew she would have gotten a heart transplant and I wouldnt need ear muffs and ear plugs while sitting on a screaming, dripping driptroit.

axesmasher

The patch would be temporary. I would be getting another 353 or similar engine though 

axesmasher

Pretty much heartbroken right now my father is completely against geting the skidder.  I dont want to be a sore looser but im upset about it. Oh well. I guess  my dad enjoys colecting firewood and logging the half arsed way    I guess this thread is dead now :(

beenthere

axesmasher
I was under the impression that this was something you were going to purchase.

Or was that skidder something you were trying to talk "Dad" into buying ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

axesmasher

....... >:(  im not a mooching kid who gets dad to pay the way for everything, no i had 5000% in the bank had arranged the float to pick it up, my dad owns the property and didn't want me "mucking about everywhere for a little wood"  i have bought a used Wallenstein forwarder and made a pto winch for the front of my WHITE 6065 out of a school bus rear end and a reduction box for pulling logs it works ok. 

chester_tree _farmah

Hi smasher. You mean a trailer with boom and grapple? Cool on the winch. We need pics. :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

thecfarm

I would like to hear more and see pictures of that operation.  ;D

Check out this winch,reply #16
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,46929.0.html

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: thecfarm on May 01, 2014, 07:55:31 PM
I would like to hear more and see pictures of that operation.  ;D

Check out this winch,reply #16
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,46929.0.html

Hah. Very cool. Thanks for the link cfarm. Amazing what can be done with old stuff laying around and some ingenuity! I have been starting to scheme up building a small mill. I knew this site would come to no good. :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Thank You Sponsors!