iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ghost in the Stihl 024 Machine

Started by Shamus, May 31, 2004, 09:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamus

I have been waging a war of wits with my 024, and keep coming up short straws. When I start it up (4-5 pulls) she takes a while to warm up, but then runs well for about 15-30 minutes. Then, inevitably, she will bog down and die while idling. The only way to keep her going is to feather the trigger when not in a cut. After 10 minutes or so of this she is done for the day, refusing to start after she dies. Come back the next day, and it starts all over again. I have had it in the shop twice, and after a week or so of decent running, I am back to square one. :-/
     I have played with the carb adjustment in the past, and can keep the saw running, but I don't want to go that route again, its a losing battle and can't be good for the saw. It seems like it must be a fuel filter or fuel line problem.
     What's up docs? Thoughts, theories, conspiracies all warmly welcomed...  ???
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Buzz-sawyer

How bout the ignition coil....heats up and changes flux characteristics...changing performance.... when it cools it recovers till it heats again....also the little brass screen in the 024 clogs internally.... in the carb, my bet is the screen, then if not the coil
I have one man that is a saw for its weight!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Shamus

Both good thoughts Buzz. Now, by "little brass screen" are you refering to the fuel filter in the gas tank? Or something more internally organ-ed?

The saw is a mighty of a mite all right, when she's a runnin'. ;D
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Kevin

What about a plugged vent on the gas cap?

Mark M

I don't think a plugged screen/filter would be intermittent. My bet is with Kevin and the vent. Try opening the gas cap to let a little air in and see if it will run.

Buzz-sawyer

The screen is in the carb and must be cleaned periodically I found that out when my saw wouldnt run and the shop showed it to me as an easy fix...
The other optionI mentioned ...well,I been down that road with many vehicles....a ghost of a time tryin to figure why it will run till hot then quite and then start fine cool
always ignition coil or related component that heats and changes properties....

I have another thought on the saw, I had similair problem and it was a vacum line (small clear tube bout 1/4") that would pinch when heated up.... a posibbility, when it cools will run a while
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Dom

This is what my old chainsaw did before I threw it out!  :D It was the coil.

Kevin

You should see a change in the spark when the coil fails.

Shamus

Thanks boys. Sorry to disappoint you all but I did not run the saw today, other fish to fry.
     Kevin, I did look for a gas cap vent, but I don't think I have one on this saw. Or if I do it is definitely clogged 'cause i can't see it! There was a bit of crud in the tank though, cleaned her out real good, and the filter is clean as can be.
     Buzz-sawyer, great advice, and I will open up the carb carefully tomorrow to see if I can find the screen. Alternatively, I have a sneaky feeling you are right about the coil, at least I can suggest that to the shop if the other options don't pan out.
    I'd like to pin some blame on the shop for not figuring it out last time in, but I had the carb settings so far out of whack at that point that they figured that must be the problem. Its nice to have some ideas to throw their way, make them earn some of the cold hard $$$ I stubbornly let through my fingers.

Thanks again lads, I'll let you know how it pans out.

lamar

more two cents worth.Good saw,mines about 12 -13 yrs. old .I had some carb. problems and got lazy and took it in. Cost around 50$ worked for a while then carb. again.This time I put in a jiffy kit.Its been runing great for at least 4yrs.Dirt is bigest prob. I like husky filters best I use them in 4 + saws.I had a broblem mud dubers pluging up exhaust pipe(just the right size) You could get it to start but no power,it took a while but clean out all the guts and it run fine.

Weekend_Sawyer

I am having the same problem with my 044 and 029. I had a thread about it a couple of months ago. I did the basic stuff, gas and air filters, spark plug, fresh gas. Still did the same thing, would run fine while cutting but stalled out like it ran out of gas when you let go of the trigger. I rebuilt the carb on the 029 and thought I had it but after tank of gas it was doing it again. Now my 044 is doing it. I cleaned out the screen in the carb and the diaphram had dust around it but it is still doing it.

I'm kicking around the idea of droping in a new carb just to see if it helps.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Shamus

Talked to a couple of loggering folk, and they say just drop in another carb. Seems like a baby and bathwater kinda deal. I did tweak the low idle adjust and have her running fine, for now. If it costs me another day of frustration in the woods I will bring it into the shop, and ask some better questions this time, thanks to all of your input.

Cheers.

Weekend_Sawyer

Heay Shamus,

Thought I'd let you know that my 044 is doing better, not perfect but much better, I adjusted the low speed mixture screw and brought the idle up to where the chain spins then backed it off until it stopped. The rpm's dip down when you let off the trigger, sounds like it might stall out, then it comes back to a good idle and runs fine. Like I said before I took the bottom off of the carb, cleaned the sawdust out from around the diaphram, then  made my adjustments with the engine hot.

my 029 is still not running well. I rebuilt the carb and when It started messing up again I just put it away and concentrated on the 044. I will probably invest in a new carb for it.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!