iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New To The Forum

Started by scholar, January 04, 2014, 09:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scholar

Iv'e recently started to cut wood with my dad (he's cut for long before i was born...) Just wish it hadnt taken me 28 years to start trying stuff my dad wanted to teach me cause we have a blast out there doing it... I purchased a Stihl ms 171 for some limbing when im job sites (I own a wildlife removal company) so at a recent job i got talking to the owner and they spoke about getting there 35 acres logged so i asked what they were doing with the tops and all the other downed wood long and short they were happy to say if i wanted to cut it then it was all mine.... So needless to say my little toy MS171 wasnt going to cut it....  I was looking at purchasing a new saw but my dad said he thought a older freind of the family had a old Stihl kicking around. Well it was a old one all right it was a Stihl 08 stripped it down got it running and starting nice but was missing a 2 bolts my dad though he had a old saw in one of his out buildings so we went out and there is was a 038 AV Magnum minus a bar.... He had no idea were it came from what was wrong well nothing about it... Needless to say i was a little more interested in this saw then the 08 so we stripped it down looked good put some new fuel in tossed a 24inch bar on and it starts 2-3 pulls when cold and 1 pull after started... So we have now got around 20 cords cut and keep plugging away when we have time to cut.... Hope i didnt bore any one just wanted to tell every one a little about how ive started into cutting.

Cheers
Kevin

Ohh Yes im from the great white north Ontario Canada  :new_year:

If Your not laughing your crying

Sonofman

No, not bored, love the story. I wish I had paid more attention to my father's advice when I was younger, but we did not get along too well. He grew up cutting pine to heat tobacco barns on my granddad's farm, he knew a lot about how to use an ax and maul and sledge and wedges.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum.
Located due west of Due West.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hey Kevin......Welcome!

I enjoyed your story. Father - Son stories are always worth telling and listening to.

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I cut wood with my Father for 3 years on The Farm. Best 3 years we ever had.
scholar,welcome to the forum..
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bill Gaiche

Welcome scholar, That is some good finds on the saws and some luck that they run also. Sounds like you have a plenty of wood to cut. bg

Sonofman

Thinking back, I remember one time when my dad was working as the maintence super at a Baptist Children's home right outside the town we lived in. The cottages where the children lived were  on a 150 acre tract that was the home ground of an old southern plantation, along with about 800 acres of farm land, backed up to a river. Nice place. They had some huge old oaks on the campus, these were 4-5 feet in diameter at the but. They cut one down one time and my dad asked the tree service to leave him 4 main trunk sections 24" thick. I was drafted to help bust it up. He had tried and tried on previous occasions to teach me how to split it with the least effort, but I had not listened. He watched me tryin and struggeling mightly.

Finally he showed me again. He was taking about 3 licks with the ax to pop off a piece, and work his way around the outer edge of the cookie. He would then cut one out of the next layer inwards and go around again. I never quite got the hang of it, but doing it his way was certainly a lot easier and quicker than mine.

scholar

Thank you every one for the warm welcome i have lurked a couple forums but after doing reading found this forum seemed the best think well know i made the right choice. Yes i will agree about the luck with the saws... I did learn my lesson about touching dirt today i didn't see the mound of dirt under the snow and dull chain on the next cut so called it a day as we had been out for a couple hours already. Guess im going to get a lesson on how to file a chain tomorrow so trying to do some reading tonight on how to... How many chains do people normally head out with when they are going to be cutting ?

Sonofman

I usually have just the ones on my saws. I have a small 14" Echo for limbs and a larger 20" Echo for tree trunks and ect. I cheat on sharpening, though. I have a varriable speed Dremmel with the chain saw sharpening attachment. I am usually not too far from my truck and inverter to run the Dremmel.

scholar

from what i keep reading its split some people like files some like electronic. I think i want to learn to sharpen with a file then try electronicaly. im not prepared to shell out $17.00 a shot to get my chain sharpened from the local shop. I was thinking of having to 2 in the tool box just incase and hopefully as i get some more time behined to the saw i will not need to worry about chains getting dule as quick

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, scholar.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Scholar!  That was a very nice introduction, and pictures too!  Very nice to meet you.  :)
Say when

Sheepkeeper

Hello Kevin. Welcome from a fellow Ontarion. Where in the province do you park your saw? Those woods look very much like the ones around here. Actually looks very much like the conditions we were working in today. That 038 AV Magnum is a score for sure but it'll make you work. I have access to one that has a 27" bar. Comes  in real handy for cutting up really big trees like the four foot diameter maple that blew over on a house this past summer. Cuts down on the nibbling.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

Hilltop366

Greetings from Nova Scotia. Sounds like you are enjoying the woods. Even if you get better at not hitting dirt you will still need to sharpen, might as well learn now!

DDDfarmer

Welcome to the forum.  Ontario numbers are adding up.  Pics look like southern Ontario  :D
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

scholar

I'm located in Fonthill and in the summer we have a place in Wasaga Beach but to the rest of the world I say Niagara Falls Area. Yes I know as I get more time behind the saw I will still need to sharpen chains but hopefully not as frequently

scholar

Hilltop were are you out east my family is from Glace Bay

samandothers

Welcome Scholar

I miss the days with my dad and his teachings, of course then I was not paying enough attention or as much as I should have.  Coulda learned more had I 'applied' myself. 

Have fun and be careful.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Sixacresand

Welcome to the forum, Scholar. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Stephen1

Welcome to the FF. Neighbour. My son is finally getting interested in good and saying now also. Its nice when you young ones come back. We like pic.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Kevin!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

goose63

Welcome to the F F Kevin I take 8 or10 chains with I have a Oregon sharpener but I still like my files  :new_year:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Hilltop366

Quote from: scholar on January 04, 2014, 10:45:08 PM
Hilltop were are you out east my family is from Glace Bay

I'm in Yarmouth county, just about as faraway from Glace Bay as you can get and still be in Nova Scotia.

Thank You Sponsors!