iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scrapyard Finds

Started by brettl, January 04, 2014, 04:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettl

This may be the chainsaw equivalent of asking someone to reveal their favorite fishing hole but....
I've seen many of you mention nice scrapyard finds for little to nothing. My question is, what are these scrapyards? Dumps, scrapmetal recyclers,.....? I have several Stihl parts/project saws and would like to find more but I've never tried the scrapyard thing yet. Thanks guys

weimedog

Never found one at a scrap yard BUT I'm not shy going around to local shops asking if they have blown up complete saws I could buy. Frequently they do. Some of the dealers are glad to get some bucks for what they were going to pitch into the scrap bin. I usually spent any where from $25 to $50 bucks on project saws that I do like the 266/272's and older models. It doesn't pay to eBay parts saws unless it is something you REALLY want! I've even stretched to $100 on occasion for a really clean 70cc and above current pro level saw to build. Especially if there is someone who wants it and I can get my money back out.

Ebay doesn't work for me because by the time you buy the blown up saw, pay shipping, get a good OEM piston, even an aftermarket top end if the cylinder isn't salvageable, AND all the time spent; you might as well find a good used running saw. And if its a saw like a lower cost Husqvarna 350, 455, etc. You might as well buy a NEW saw!

Might pay on later model current $700 and more pro level saws like Stihl MS460 & Husqvarna 372's and larger pro saws, but for the under $400 new price class....not worth the hassle...unless its recreation for you.

Last trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtGrshFnAZ8

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Windy_Acres

Ive known a guy for about a decade, hes pretty much an automotive recycler, but he also cleans out farms when someone passes (if they where a packrat), and other weird stuff, he mostly just takes it to market and sells it by the ton.

I stopped by his place one day, he just had rolled in from a farm clean out, in back of 22' straight truck (old grain truck) sat what appeared to be a nice XL925.

All I asked, is if I could by it. Didnt ask if runs, or what not, cause I knew he didnt know, much less care. He says to me, "take it, its yours". Im like, groovy !

So get it home, clean it out, get new fuel lines on it, had it running in about an hour.

Another scrapper near me, he pulls that stuff out of the loads, and has an isle of good junk, running down the parking area of this place. Honda Riders, big vises, anvils, stuff like that he re sells.

The real junker, I know one, he dont car what it is, or if it runs, its going in the next load. He takes everything to market and resells NOTHING. If you happen to be in the yard and find something, and bring it on the scale or show it to him, he will sell it, but otherwise, it goes in the next load, if its near the crusher.

bandmiller2

Most farm equipment dealers also sell saws and many have trade ins or saws the owner couldn't afford to fix. They have bigger fish to fry and just throw then in the parts trailer. Bought a sachs dolmar and a large husky got boath running,the old sachs is a joy to use. Boath for  $25.00 if I remember right. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

deerslayer

I have tried purchasing from scrapyards (metal recyclers) but it's pretty hard to accomplish unless you get an inside guy. Most of the places near me are commercial operations that turn a large volume and they aren't the least bit interested in "recycling" as in "re-use". It is just by the pound. One yard I talked into selling stuff but they wouldn't save anything, just if you happened to see something out in the pile they would pull it and weigh it. I purchased a few saws and a few string trimmers. The trimmers were ALL scored and most of the saws had other issues but were a better value. The saws cost me about $5 and the trimmers about the same. This yard won't sell to "retail" customers anymore so I currently have no scrap source for saws. I do ask at the local small engine shops but they've always said they had nothing to sell. Farm and estate auctions are a good source for snagging saws but sometimes others have the same ideas and prices go nuts. I determine my bids ahead of time so as not to get caught up. Another source is arborist and logging companies who put broken stuff aside and then buy a new one to "get er done". Most of the stuff they have is trashed and thrashed and usually picked over for parts.
Anyway, that has been my experience. A good guy with a watchful eye at a scrapyard would be a wonderful resource but I haven't developed any relationships yet. I usually try to keep my purchase price to $50 or less on desirable saws with good plastic. Never bought any "large" saws as junkers, just the 1127 series Stihls and the Poulan 2000/xxv series. (those aren't worth more that $5-$10 broke because I sell them for about $45)
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

NCFarmboy

I picked up a LN Stihl MS290 from scrap yd. still had stickers on it.  Saw couldn't have had over a couple of tanks through it.  Somebody used a metal piston stop poked a hole in top of piston.  I got it from inside guy.  The piston through ex. port still had crosshatch and no scoring.  But by the time I'm through I will have more in it than I really wanted to missed cracked carry handle when I looked it over. I really don't like working on this model but I had a complete eng. for it.  Get em cheap, look em over carefully.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

thecfarm

If I worked at a scarp yard I would have to buy a truck and trailer to bring my "good stuff" home.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

julio

I work on a scrapyard trucks from time to time here and I get about anything I want . I try to stay away because I usually come home with a truck load of good stuff.
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

Al_Smith

Within about a thirty mile radius there are at least a half dozen Stihl dealers .I deal with only one about 15 miles away.He says he can get approx 50 in parts out of a damaged saw providing it's all there .

Seldom have I paid 50 but to date I've pulled at least a half dozen out that business ,a few needed nothing.

Old saws people will give them to you .

Al_Smith

Where did that yooper nonsense come from :D

Al_Smith

It's highly unlikely if a person were to find a"good running " saw by dumpster diving .What you'll usually find is a bunch of parts of which you can take two or three and make one of.

sawguy21

Had a friend who worked as  packer operator at the landfill. Don could not stand seeing perfectly good stuff crushed. One day he observed an older gentleman turfing what appeared to be a decent chain saw. He asked, the guy couldn't get it started. Don looked at it, pulled the fuel pump cover, cleaned the screen and the little beggar started on two pulls. ;D I got a complete 045AV off the scrap pile, it had been submerged and left for dead. Replaced the rings and fuel lines, installed a carb kit and it barked like a big dog. Didn't keep it long enough to determine if the bottom end was any good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!