iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Muffler Mod in Pa?

Started by woodchipper95, January 04, 2014, 12:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchipper95

If I were to get a echo I would want a mm for sure. Does anyone know of someone that could do a mm and tune it when done? PM or post right here.

Thanks, Dylan ???

Huskstihl

I have never MM'd an echo, but generally it is a pretty simple DIY thing.  First thing is to get the muffler off the saw.  Never mod a muffler on the saw as metal filings will find their way into the exhaust port and kill u'r saw. 
Then you basically have to get all the stuff in the way out of the way.  Echo's are catted, so basically you need a way to enlarge the opening, get all the "catalytic material" out.  On husky a this is a metal cage filled with what looks like steel wool situated in the path of the exhaust, prolly similar in an echo.
I've just drilled into the cage, and yanked the "steel wool" looking stuff out. The hard part is making it pretty.  Since I don't care about that I screw a metal sheet with a hole in it about 3/4ths the area of the saws exhaust port over the hole I made through the original outlet location.  Then retune.  You will very likely need to remove the carb adjustment limiting tabs in order to properly tune.  Well, maybe you should just get somebody to do it, but if you tackle it yourself we'll walk you thru

gspren

Woodchipper, where in Perry county are you? We have a cabin in the Laurel Run area.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

woodchipper95

I'm in Shermans Dale but very familiar with that area have some friends back that way!

HolmenTree

Don't laugh fellas but back in the day many fallers  on a logging site would make a simple muffler mod to his brand new saw by just simply punching a half dozen holes in the front of the muffler with a scrench and then richen up the carb settings to compensate.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

woodchipper95

I would want it done right by someone else that know their stuff.

JohnG28

Want to make a trip to upstate NY? I'm right outside Utica and could help you out if you're willing to travel.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

Quote from: woodchipper95 on January 05, 2014, 12:14:37 PM
I would want it done right by someone else that know their stuff.
:D Say that to a "scrench muffler modding" pro timber faller who goes through a saw every 6 mths. Muffler modding is not rocket science,  but building a tune pipe exhaust for "play time" in timbersports is another story.
:)

Al_Smith

All a so called muffler mod does is allow the engine breath.The way port loop scavaging  works is first it has to get out ,so to speak before it gets in .

Technically speaking during the transfer cycle once the muffler pressure equals the transfer pressure it cannot shove any more fuel into the cylinder .Try as people might it takes fuel to make power .

weimedog

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 07, 2014, 07:35:05 AM
All a so called muffler mod does is allow the engine breath.The way port loop scavaging  works is first it has to get out ,so to speak before it gets in .

Technically speaking during the transfer cycle once the muffler pressure equals the transfer pressure it cannot shove any more fuel into the cylinder .Try as people might it takes fuel to make power .

So true. But we can have the gas air mix go out the exhaust port & w/o having an expansion chamber or something that does the same thing to stuff that mix back in before the exhaust port is closed off, make more noise and NO more power but use more Fuel!
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

Yes there is a fine balance in how much size in exhaust outlet is enough and how much is too big.
_Too big and you have a lot more noise which makes it appear to have more power but doesn't, burns more fuel like crazy.
_Just the right size larger then original makes more power and production, fuel economy will be a little less but more wood will be cut within that tank full.
_Enlarge exhaust outlet slowly until power rises then backs off.

Main reason the veteran timberfaller knows how many scrench holes to poke into his saws muffler front cover :D

ZeroJunk

Not a bad idea to do the math either. You don't have to open a hole a lot.

Thank You Sponsors!