iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Pump Specs?

Started by Corley5, January 03, 2014, 04:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I pulled the hydraulic pump off the forwarder this afternoon and am going to order one from Surplus Center.  They've got a good selection and I'm sure one will fit the bill.  The one I took off appears to be a Cessna but of course has no tags or numbers anywhere.  It's a gear pump with a 7/8 thirteen spline shaft and is an SAE "B" 2 bolt mount.  Surplus Center has a gear pump sizing calculator http://www.surpluscenter.com/Tech-Help/Hydraulics/Calculators/Gear-Pump-Replacement/  but if I can avoid taking the old pump apart I'd like to  ;) ;D  Does anyone happen to know the specs for C4D Treefarmer Forwarder's hydraulic pump  ??? :)  It's got a Hood loader on it and a 4 cylinder Deutz engine.  The pump drives directly of the crankshaft.  Would this be considered a CW or CCW pump  ???     
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ilog4u2

Sorry to here about the challenges you've had recently. In the past, I've found Butch at truck n trailer in Boyne Falls to be very helpful on these things. He has a lot of experience.  He will be able to answer all your questions, match your H.P. To your pump ( new one), and his prices are competitive with anyone else. I re pumped an Iron Mule one time and it never worked better. Good luck

Autocar

The best way to figure rotation [ for me at least ] The big hose will be the line from the tank to the pump the small will be the pressure line sence you got it off just pour some oil in the intake side and turn the pump, ever which way pulls the oil into the pump will tell you if its CW or CCW
Bill

BargeMonkey

I would try www.timberparts.com, they seemed like a decent bunch of guys, they had a pump for my timberjack forwarder on the shelf, but I know they deal in franklin/treefarmer parts too.

SPIKER

If it is a Gear Pump, what makes you think it is bad?   Had it started leaking or has it sheared off spline>?   Gear pumps get less efficient with wear but usually pump pretty constant even when warn.   

Thanks
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Corley5

There's very little power or speed in the hydraulics and it's throughout the system.  The blade/steering circuit and the loader circuit.  The pump seems to have slop in the gears and the warmer it gets the slower it gets.

Corley5

It's a CCW pump.  I'll have to pull it a part to determine the displacement.

Corley5

I changed the filter when the problem started.  It didn't help  ;) :)

jamesamd

replace the wear plates,or by a rebuild kit,Your choice. ;)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

snowstorm

a rebuild kit for a gear pump would consist of a new center housing and gears. to do it right. about all that is used from the old pump is the end housings.

Northern Timber Harvesting

have you tested the pump? I had the same problem caused by the main relief valve on my fabtek forwarder. I think the relief was only a couple hundred bucks, maybe less, I don't remember now. Any hydraulic shop should be able to bench test it, shouldn't cost too much.

Corley5

The relief valves on this are in the valve bodies.  One for the loader and one for the steering/blade.  I thought that may have been the issue too but I couldn't find one  :)  The pressure line from the pump goes to a junctionblock where it splits and goes to the two valve bodies.
  The last gear pump I had issues with was on an Iron Mule.  I took it to a hydraulic shop and they told me for the cost of parts and labor I was farther ahead to get a new one.

Corley5

So after thinking about a main system relief valve I went over to take a more thorough look.  What looked like just a junction block is in better light with some greasy dirt scraped off a relief valve  ;) ;D  Tomorrow I'll take it off and take it to have tested along with the pump  :)  Thank You  8) 8)

Corley5

With everything else that's gone wrong the last few months I'm just assuming the worst now  :)

many times I assume the worst, most of the time its a cheap part thats easy to replace. Diagnosing a problem is a systematic process of elimination, always eliminate the simple things first. That is something I have to remind myself all the time.

Corley5

The hydraulic shop put a new ball, spring and O-rings in the relief but he didn't feel that was the problem.  I was there when he pulled the pump apart and it's shot beyond repair.  The bushings in one end are worn through into the housing, the gear shafts are severely worn and grooved and the brass wear plates are worn through into the housing.  It's surprising it pumped at all.  A new one is on the way from Surplus Center.

well i guess that didn't turn out so well 

Corley5

Corley5

Scott didn't charge me anything for the work and parts he put in the relief.  I've got a pretty good idea what happened to this pump too.  This is another thing that we're cleaning up that my ex employee screwed up.  Instead of pulling the dipstick and checking the oil level he'd run it until it was out and then put oil in.  That's my theory and I'm pretty sure it's right.  I've always got hydraulic oil on hand.  I'm a logger after all.  One day I put the last bucket in the harvester in the AM.  Later that day he asked me about oil because the loader on the forwarder was "getting "jerky" like it did when it needed oil".  I jumped him about it then but the damage was done and a few days after that incident he was terminated.  I'd forgotten about it until I saw the inside of the pump.  The wear is obviously from a lack of lubrication.  Who knows how many times he ran it out of fluid  :( >:( >:(

pineywoods

A neighbor sawer had a similar employee. He ran the mill until the hydraulics quit, then topped it off with used motor oil. Ruined 2 hydraulic pumps before being caught...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Corley5

Got it back together yesterday.  I went with a Prince pump from Surplus Center and jumped the size from the original 2.37 cu in. to 3.18.  Works great  8) 8)  We've used it loading the firewood machine yesterday and today.

barbender

Glad to see something that is making you use  8) 8) instead of  :( >:( You've had a bad run of luck lately.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!