iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pricing dry pecan lumber

Started by Papa1stuff, January 03, 2014, 03:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa1stuff

I have searched but found nothing ,any help would be appreciated!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

dgdrls

I suggest you check the hardwood shops in Fla.
check the price of Hickory, and adjust from there as needed.

http://www.craftsmensupply.com/

http://www.hardwoodlumberandmillwork.com/

DGDrls

julio

I know where some slabs is in ga .   How about it WDH
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

thecfarm

julio,do you go to the zoo and poke the lion with a stick?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

julio

only if I know they don't have teeth or claws 8) ,but them slabs(boards)are some good looking ones , and should almost be dry as they was sawn in oct. smiley_devil

julio

I guess they don't like WDH boards

WDH

I have been selling air dried pecan for $3.00 per BF, but this last batch that Jake and I got hold of was very good, so I am raising the price to $3.50 per BF.  That is for 4/4.  I am planning to kiln dry some, and that will likely be priced at $4.00 per BF. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

francismilker

Quote from: WDH on January 04, 2014, 01:58:15 AM
I have been selling air dried pecan for $3.00 per BF, but this last batch that Jake and I got hold of was very good, so I am raising the price to $3.50 per BF.  That is for 4/4.  I am planning to kiln dry some, and that will likely be priced at $4.00 per BF.
WDH, out of curiosity, how long does it take roughly to dry 4/4 pecan during air drying operation. I cut some hickory last spring and put it up in the loft of the barn and banded it together well.  I tore into the pile yesterday hoping to do some planing and make a table top only to find that it's harder than any dried wood I've ever tried to plane. The last hickory I dried wasn't half as hard.  This stuff is like petrified wood!!!!!!!!  I think somehow by it being in the loft under sheet iron roof over the summer it dried different than normal. I've heard it is harder to work with dried pecan than hickory.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

customsawyer

I don't know why but some pecan logs are harder than others. One time WDH and I cut two pecan logs the same day and they cut so different you wouldn't believe it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ellmoe

Quote from: customsawyer on January 04, 2014, 06:36:53 AM
I don't know why but some pecan logs are harder than others. One time WDH and I cut two pecan logs the same day and they cut so different you wouldn't believe it.

I find this to be true with the hickories. I am not fond of cutting hickory as it is usually a bear to cut, then I throw one on the saw and it will cut like butter. ??? ???  Green or dry, big or small, I can't tell why the variation in sawing experiences, but it definitely occurs.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

4/4 pecan will air dry in 6 months here in Georgia under an open drying shed.  Whether it dries straight is another matter altogether.  It is primarily a function of log quality.  Knotty pecan logs are the hardest (toughest, most difficult) of anything that I have air dried except for hackberry. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Papa1stuff

Quote from: WDH on January 04, 2014, 01:58:15 AM
Is this a price for rough or planned and do you charge the 4/4 after it is planned?
Thanks for all your replies.
Dave

WDH

My prices are for rough sawn, unplaned lumber.  Planing would be another value add. 

Papa1stuff

WDH, Thanks for reply , it is appreciated :)
Dave

Thank You Sponsors!