iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Come back on the radiator quick coupler

Started by CX3, January 02, 2014, 10:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

I read in another post about the quick couplers on the radiator of the truck being hooked to the radiator of the skidder.  I guess if we are going to have an arctic winter here in southern missouri I need to learn how to do this correctly.  So if you could post how its done Im listening lol

So much for global warming its 10 outside now and the high monday is 6.  I know the northern boys saying suck it up, but this ol boy is about to freeze out
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

chevytaHOE5674

On your pickup truck heater hoses you put a Tee in each line with enough hose to come out and attach to the piece of equipment, then on the ends of the hoses you put a set of quick couplers (IE a pioneer coupler found on the back of a tractor).

Then on your skidder you Tee in another set of hoses someplace (can be on the upper and lower radiator hoses, or heater hoses, etc).

Get your pickup nice and warm and then you attach the hoses to the piece of equipment and leave the truck running for a while. This will exchange the hot coolant through the skidder and warm it up.

Maine logger88

On my JD the hoses are both on the block side of the thermostat so you don't have to heat up the whole rad just the motor I've never used them tho so I don't know anything else about it they were on it when I bought it
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

CX3

Sounds simple enough.  I dont guess you can hook them up backwards can you?

Thanks
You Better Believe It!

cutter88

cx3 I wouldn't worry to much about quick couplers at them temps it was -36c here yesterday and a quick shot of ether my 640 john deere fired right up... we run 0-40 synthetic oil in the winter in all our john deeres makes them better starting
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

chevytaHOE5674

Warming the coolant and engine up on a machine is better than using ether...

sprucebunny

I've thought about doing this but then I got wondering about all the different kinds of antifreeze.... The vehicles I'd want to do it with; one is diesel and takes a special coolant additive and the other is a Toyota and has "Asian" antifreeze....
When I started reading the antifreeze additives and specs, it got so confusing that I gave up.
Not to mention the problem of where to put the connectors and hot/cold shock.

I get the generator going and plug it in for an hour.... or two.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

cutter88

taking ice cold coolant from ur skidder and putting it in ur hot pick up engine and also putting hot coolant in ur freezing cold skidder engine is just bad news... theres an alternative they make a little propane burner tat hooks in quick connect to ur coolant system that heats it slowing witch is a lot better and safer then quick couplers to a pick up...just my thoughts  :D
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

chevytaHOE5674

Many guys including myself will put a ball valve on the "pressure" hose from the pickup so that you can slowly introduce the hot coolant. But there are plenty of other loggers and farmers around that just hook them up and go.

Guys UP here I know have been using "spit swappers" for longer than I've been around and have never had any ill effects to either the pickup or equipment from using them.

CX3

Well heres why I need to do something..... my skidder 648G3.....is a slow cranking beast when below 20-25 deg.  I have put a brand new starter, pulled the batteries theyre good, brand new 15-40 Rotella T6 oil.....

Still hard starting.  It cranks decent for about ten seconds, then whooomp whooomp whoooomp.  Nothing.  Wait a minute or so then same thing.  Decent crank then nothing.  When its warm it fires right up like a honda generator lol

I have no idea but gotta do something
You Better Believe It!

saltydog

I have used them for years.Never a problem.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

1270d

Cx3 our 648e has a lever you can pull to disconnect the pump.  Should make for easier starting and warm up.  Make sure to shut down before re engaging.

The quick coupler setup I have doesn't have a tee.  Just cut the heater hose and put a male and female coupler in the line.     

CX3

Ha now thats innovation.  I do not know of a way to shut the pump off on my machine.  As far as I know the g series had an option with a winter starting package.  My machine came from texas so looks like Im cutting a heater hose.  Thanks for the replies as always
You Better Believe It!

treeslayer2003

my 540 b has the disconnect. if turn the steering wheel back n forth it turns faster. I know that sounds dumb but it works.

chevytaHOE5674

Turning the wheel back and forth relieves the pressure on the pump and makes them easier to turn over. My backhoe is the same way.

Bobus2003

Of the 6 Deeres we have at work, only 2 of them have Hydraulic disconnects, ones on a D model, and the Other a E Model. The Tigercats are nice cause its just a switch on the dash to De-Stroke the Pumps.

All our machine have "Hot Box" Connectors. Same as the "spit swapper" set-up only portable units that heat a engine up in under 5 minutes. Makes a huge differnce, just gotta let them idle a bit to warm hydraulics. And dont have problems.. Ether has been a killer lately cause of idiots

Woodboogah

This may sound ridiculous but it works well for me.  I use a length of dryer vent hose and run it over the tailpipe of my pickup and put the other end in the engine bay of the skidder.  While I am getting everything ready for the day I just let me truck run, take a little time to finish my coffee.  It's cheap and it works.  I know of other people who do the same.  Gets a lot colder then 20-25 here.  -10 this morning on the landing.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

CX3

Does it matter where I cut the lines on the skidder ?  Im thinking the thermostat will stay closed if i cut it in the wrong spot?
You Better Believe It!

beenthere

Seems if you want to heat the engine, then you would want to keep the thermostat closed so the heated water doesn't go off into the radiator and get cooled down..  If I understand what you are asking.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!