iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bull Pine, any takers?

Started by drobertson, December 22, 2013, 05:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardtailjohn

Quote from: pine on December 24, 2013, 10:23:35 AM
Out west the ponderosa pine (Pinus Ponderosa) is often referred to as Bull pine.
In the SE, lobloolly pine (Pinus taeda) is often referred to as Bull pine.
Maybe it is a colloquial name used for a pine that changes depending upon where one is located or is from.

That's the way it's used here in Montana... or pretty close.  I was always taught that a "bull pine" was a very limby  mature Ponderosa Pine. Not really desireable for anything much. If they're not mature, we still call them "yellow pine".  :P
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

SAnVA

Where I come from--Bull Pine, Field Pine, or Virginia Pine, one and the same. Knotty , change blades very often or you get a lot of diving in the knots and watch your speed. I have sawed  right much of it and don't like too, but can't be too picky sometimes. Ok for sheathing boards for barns or outbuildings, if logs are small I usually get a few boards and a 6X6 or a 4X4 , not very good for 2X4's!

drobertson

I am of the mind set that the "bull" pine is a local slang for this species,  it is a short leaf, with a pail color.
The main issue I am having is partial froze logs, in addition to fluctuating growth rates within the logs, it causes a funky swoop resulting in a reactive release of stress, I will get some photos on after the new year,
thanks for the many inputs,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

chain

If it is short-leaf I've sawed a little of what I think you're talking about. The swoop in fresh sawed pine boards I've seen, thinking was the blade tension was either too tight, too lax.

We have what is called 'field pine', any pine grown without competition, usually in fields, pastures, many limbs, knots; loggers make ugly faces when they see them.

Also, looked up Austrian pine, according to one source 217 million were planted for shelter-belt trees in Oklahoma and other dust-bowl states. I'm thinking 30 years or so ago MDC put Austrian pine in windbreak bundles. All mix and match now.

drobertson

Thanks chain, but these are in the timber, lots of competition.  Tall like all the rest, Just the uneven growth rings like I mentioned, the most I've seen since sawing, 8 years,  I still think its the half froze pitch that's the cause of most issues,   david  , Have to say it's  nice looking lumber, just a battle,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

two-legged-sawmill

Jeffs "Tree" reminds me of where I grew up in Essex County in NY. I believe they are the result of cattle that are pastured there and these small farms are reverting back to woodland lots. I don't know of anything that ate pine or the bark, squirrels loved the pine cones. Making blocking is probable the most profitable, Hauled many cords to Ti. pulp mill was next best place to get rid of them. Nothing smaller than 4" or larger than 24" if memory serves me right! Lots of work and not much money.Stuff that didn't make pulp went in the wood shed to boil down the Sap to make that good Maple syrup! Them old pines had many differant names. We call them pasture pine!  Dan sr
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

thecfarm

Pasture pine here too. same size at the time for me too. This was the IP in Jay,Maine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mountain Guardian

Bull pine is common around here, although everyone here seems to consider it an actually distinct species of pine.  We also have what they call bas-tard pine which they say is a cross between bull pine and yellow pine.  I have a lot of the bas-ard pine here on my place it has a lot of large branches on it but the ones I have are running around 38 inch base diameter around 60 feet tall and do not have the horrible taper of the Bull pine.  These make for some pretty knotty wood, but it still works well for boards.  Some people really like the boards due the added character the knots give to the appearance.

The tree I am looking at just off my porch right now is about 38 inch on the butt and if you cut a 20'.6 log out of it the end would be about  26 inch diameter. 

Thank You Sponsors!