iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Would like to say hello.

Started by Merlin, January 02, 2014, 06:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddcuning

Welcome to the FF Merlin! If you have been lurking you know already that there are some great folks here but it doesn't hurt to restate the fact.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Brian C.

Welcome, Merlin! it is nice to see another like minded educator here.

Magicman

Hello Merlin, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ET

Merlin, welcome from Ohio too!  I'm constantly amazed at the talented and educated individuals that are drawn to this forum. The love of trees, wood, and the out of doors is something that only a few of us are fortunate enough to be born with. I agree, nice tractor!  Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Merlin

Thecfarm, the tractor is 85 hp. As I said before we have a small farm, so I make hay in the summer which is why I have the tractor as well as snow blowing the 1/2 km driveway.
There have been some bigger trees behind it at other times, but I'm cutting another road to a different part of the property. But the biggest trees I have here are only 36" at the butt. Mostly pine and poplar.

Again thank you all for the warm welcome. I will be needing some of your experience and expertise in the near future as I'm trying to start up a forestry course at our high school. It will be a forestry management and a forestry technology course.

Just to let you folks know, every year I have around a dozen of my grads want to come out to the farm to help with hay and rural life stuff.  It is very rewarding. I have to agree that we need to have more opportunities for young people to be connected with the land.

Cheers,
Merlin
2018 LT15 Wide, 2012 Kubota M8540 w FEL, Norse 390 logging winch, IH 484 w FEL, several Stihl Chainsaws. 115 acre family farm with NFLD ponies, a few beef cows, 1 Border Collie, a very understanding wife and 2 great kids.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Merlin on January 03, 2014, 11:43:17 AM
I have to agree that we need to have more opportunities for young people to be connected with the land.

Cheers,
Merlin

Well, and I'd add that we need more opportunities for young people to understand real-world application of the sciences that they learn in school.  I see many teachers that are "book-smart", but can't tell kids WHY what they're learning is important, or how they can use it in real life.  What a great opportunity you have with these kids!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

goose63

Welcome Merlin I am kinda new here and these guys will forget more than I will ever know :P :new_year:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

geraldhale

Quote from: SawyerBrown on January 02, 2014, 11:36:03 PM
Welcome Merlin!  You're a brave man -- not just from logging and sawing, but for teaching high school science!!  We don't have nearly enough teachers with real-life experience, thanks...

Yes I would have to agree about being brave and high school students!  :D But I do have two kids that I coached basketball that work for me in my mill now so I guess it can be a labor source.
Welcome.
lt40 super,Meadows edger,Weinig moulder,24" Rockwell planer, Salem mill,Cornell edger,Pop up end trim, Fulgum chipper, Baker resaw, hazledine pointer, Landen strapping machine, John deere 480B lift, Case W20 wheel loader.

Banjo picker

Hello as well and welcome.. I bet you will like it here better than I liked it in chemistry class.  I still remember trying to balance those equations after all these years... we had a tough teacher.  He taught physics as well.  I learned enough in chemistry class to not take physics. ;)  Best wishes on getting the forestry classes started... Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

slider

Welcome Merlin from south georgia .I hope you don't mind me skipping over the pictures with all the snow .It has been cold and wet here for a week and I just had to pass.Glad you are on board.  al
al glenn

5quarter

Welcome to the jungle Merlin. Goose63 had it half right...I for one, am forgetting more all the time.  ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

MIsawyer

Klicker

Welcome from the North Shore. Rod :new_year:
2006 LT 40 HD

John S

Welcome to the FF, Merlin from a retired HS math teacher.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Merlin

Hello Rod, I see you are in Tatamagouche. We have land on the Warwick mtn rd. Are you far from there? I've noticed a few sawmills on my way to the property. Are any of these your place?

Merlin
2018 LT15 Wide, 2012 Kubota M8540 w FEL, Norse 390 logging winch, IH 484 w FEL, several Stihl Chainsaws. 115 acre family farm with NFLD ponies, a few beef cows, 1 Border Collie, a very understanding wife and 2 great kids.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

bandmiller2

Welcome Merlin, physics was on of the most useful classes I've taken as I designed and built several front end loaders.I changed my professors curriculum he would ramble on with pure physics, I'd raise my hand and say prof. what can I use this for, when he explained in the real world terms everyone woke up. Never really understood chemistry until I read a 1920's book on steam engines and boiler chemicals. A light lit up in my head I read it three times and the fog cleared. Spent many summers helping my uncles make hay in Turtle Creek NB. Still make and bale hay with all 1950's machinery. Good to have you on board mate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mudhog

smiley_wavy

Welcome Merlin,
I am interested in most everything , maybe you can teach us some tricks.
Doing the right thing might not be easy,but it's always right.

Ask, Seek, Knock

dblair

Welcome Merlin , hope you enjoy the folks here . that's a nice looking patch of woods you have there , a mill would serve you well .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. A tractor like that gives you a great start before you even have a mill.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Billbob

Welcome from a fellow Maritimer, Merlin.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

hardtailjohn

Welcome Merlin!  Glad to hear of a teacher that has something other than a book to teach from!! Carry on!!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Thank You Sponsors!