iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1450 Reaction Chamber

Started by Tim Crowley, January 01, 2014, 07:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Crowley

Hi all.  I cleaned out my boiler today because I noticed the reaction chamber's secondary burn wasn't coming on.  It was a great day.  Got all the holes cleaned out.  They weren't bad, but cleaned them out nonetheless.  I think I did let the "bed" get too deep, though, so I was good to let it burn down completely, etc.  Even took off the upper and lower selonoids.  The upper was about 1/2 full of crap, and the lower was totally clean.  Anyway, when I fired it back up, it wasn't getting to temp.  I did finally let it "roar" with the damper open, and it got up to temp.  But when I closed the damper, smoke came billowing out of the back!!  I re- "roared" it and then, to my surprise, I saw the secondary burn lights come on.  What was weird, though, is that they came on when the water was at 189 degrees and the temp in the reaction chamber read 147 degrees!  Something's not right.  All air chambers are clear.  Smoke is coming out of the chimney, but could it be clogged? it looks to be getting draft, etc. as I see sparks exit through the damper and go upwards, but to have smoke billow from the back of the unit . . . Please help.  I've read these posts for 4 years and have learned a ton.

Tim Crowley

So,  can get the water up to temp by roaring it, but then the water temp drops when I close the damper.  Then I have to go out and "roar" it again.  What on earth could explain a water temp of 190 degrees with a seriously roaring fire and a temp in the reaction chamber of 165!!?

beenthere

Possibly no water circulation?  Pump off?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Roger2561

Quote from: Tim Crowley on January 01, 2014, 08:04:57 PM
So,  can get the water up to temp by roaring it, but then the water temp drops when I close the damper.  Then I have to go out and "roar" it again.  What on earth could explain a water temp of 190 degrees with a seriously roaring fire and a temp in the reaction chamber of 165!!?

Tim - You said you removed the upper and lower solenoids to clean them.  Did you reconnect the leads to the terminals on the solenoids for the high burn?  Don't ask why I asked this question.   :D  Also, did you clear the reaction chamber of ash?  If you did, perhaps you hit the thermocouple and upset it?  Double check to be sure the thermocouple isn't damaged.  Do you know whether the blower is working?  From what you describe sounds like it's starving for air is the reason for the stupid questions.  Before you start a fire, open the firebox door and press the switch that activates the blower.  You should be able to hear the blower.  If you can hear the blower, put your hand in front of the primary air holes in the firebox to see if you can feel the air against the skin of your hand.  If may be something as simple as a fuse that's blown.  Roger 
Roger

Jack72

Did you reconnect all the solenoids did you run the mode where it kicks everything open and closed  just yo make sure everything is working are you aware of this mode?   Also did you bump the reaction temperature probe with the hoe when racking the ashes out if you bumped it it may be stuck inside giving a false reading you can grab with your fingers and pull it out to be sure.   Also did you take back cover off chimney to clean that out also?  Just throwing things out their to check

Jack
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

Jack72

Quote from: Jack72 on January 01, 2014, 08:27:34 PM

Did you reconnect all the solenoids did you run the mode where it kicks everything open and closed  just yo make sure everything is working are you aware of this mode?   Also did you bump the reaction temperature probe with the hoe when racking the ashes out if you bumped it it may be stuck inside giving a false reading you can grab with your fingers and pull it out to be sure.   Also did you take back cover off chimney to clean that out also?  Just throwing things out their to check

Jack

Roger I guess you typed faster on this one
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

Tim Crowley

Hi Jack and Roger.

Thanks for your responses and questions:

Solenoids: Yes.  I reconnected them
Mode:  I didn't know about that mode.  How do I do it, Jack?
Probe:  I may have bumped it when cleaning out chamber.  Where is it?  What's it look like?
Cover off back of chimney:  No, I haven't done that before.  I do recall my plumber mentioning that it's oddly complicated . . . any thoughts on that?  I may do it tonight.
Blower:  Yup.  Seems to be working fine.
Air holes:  Yup.  All working. 

It seems as if the downward draft is simply not happening.  Just can figure it out. 

Tim Crowley

Hi Roger, Jack, and Beenthere:

I can't believe it.  I feel like such an idiot!!!! I went back out to the boiler and thought I'd take a peek at the thermocoupler you were referring to.  I couldn't see anything to the right or left of the
"box" in the center.  I tugged at the front of the box---turns out:  It's just firebrick and was Chock Full of ash!! 1/4 inch from the top!!!  I didn't know this needed to be cleaned out after all the times I've cleaned AROUND it over the past few months!!  I did wonder a few times "why the box" in the center of the chamber.  Gosh.  I feel so foolish.  This explains the lack of a temperature in the chamber.  I'm surprised I didn't blow a fuse.  Man o man.  Fired it back up, got a secondary burn, temp of 700 in the chamber, water at 180!!  What a way to start the year!  You may wonder why I was so clueless about this "box".  I used the original e-classic for two seasons, then, just before the third season, Tropical Storm Irene wiped me out.  My house was absolutely devastated, 10 chords of nicely seasoned wood floated to the Atlantic, and my boiler tipped over!  I replaced it this year.  Point is, I figured the "box in the chamber" was just some new adaptation in the new model, so I blew it off. . . until now, of course!!  Hahahaha.  A wise man once said:  Sometimes you win  . . . and sometimes you learn!  Thanks again, guys.

Roger2561

Tim -  I'm glad you found the problem. 

I never try to look at something new I just learned as being an idiot.  We've all done things that makes us scratch our heads at times, but if you learned from it, it's a learning experience (I've always had an optimistic approach to everything). 

Once a week I clear the reaction chamber of ash and anything else that may have built up in there using care not to bump or damage the thermocouple probe.  Did you get a manual with your E-Classic 1450?  If not, I'd be contacting the dealer for a copy.  There's a section on the caring and cleaning it for tip top performance.  If yes, although this is my 3rd season heating with my E-Classic 1400, I still open it from time to time simply to refresh my memory of what I need to do to keep it operating in tip top shape.   Roger 
Roger

Tim Crowley

Thanks, Roger.  I've actually been quite diligent re: cleaning, etc. But that "box" in the bottom!  Holy cow.  Worked around it every other week.  What a surprise 'twas to remove that front brick and see all that ash.  It's running beautifully now.  I can just hear it sighing with relief. 

Jack72

Quote from: Tim Crowley on January 01, 2014, 09:10:58 PM
Hi Jack and Roger.

Thanks for your responses and questions:

Solenoids: Yes.  I reconnected them
Mode:  I didn't know about that mode.  How do I do it, Jack?
Probe:  I may have bumped it when cleaning out chamber.  Where is it?  What's it look like?
Cover off back of chimney:  No, I haven't done that before.  I do recall my plumber mentioning that it's oddly complicated . . . any thoughts on that?  I may do it tonight.
Blower:  Yup.  Seems to be working fine.
Air holes:  Yup.  All working. 

It seems as if the downward draft is simply not happening.  Just can figure it out.

So Tim to run a diagnostic check or if you have your manual

(pgs 38-39. #7 enable diagnostic function).  I don't know if Roger has this feature on his 1400 or not ??  If you are not sure I can give step by step instructions

Jack
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

Roger2561

For all the E-Classic 1400 owners out there, on page 39 of the manual you'll find the directions of how to use the diagnostic function to test the solenoids and blower.  Roger 
Roger

Sonofman

Well Tim, look at the bright side. You will not likely forget that particular problem!  8) 8)
Located due west of Due West.

Tim Crowley

Thanks guys.  You're right, sonofman.  I'll not ever forget that little detail!!  -14 here last night.  Boiler is happy now. 

Jack72

Tim
Did you locate this cover ?

it has two clips holding the cover on undo these clips pull/wiggle downward and you'll see the ash/creosote that has collected there grab a steel bucket and pull out with glove into a bucket
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

Roger2561

Quote from: Jack72 on January 04, 2014, 09:13:44 AM

Tim
Did you locate this cover ?

it has two clips holding the cover on undo these clips pull/wiggle downward and you'll see the ash/creosote that has collected there grab a steel bucket and pull out with glove into a bucket

That's great point Jack.  Once a month I clear that area of ash build up.  It simply collects there.  Roger
Roger

Thank You Sponsors!