iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

T&G Moulding

Started by sawwood, January 01, 2014, 05:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

I though I would start a new post about making T&G paneling with a video showing the process. This one has the customer helping me at the out feed side. Sure did make it faster as I didn't have to run back and forth feeding and catching the boards. There are a couple of shots showing running the planer with the hood off, I wouldn't recommend doing this but I wanted to see if the knife went in the right position.

http://youtu.be/Wcpl1UbvBVY
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Bill Gaiche

Good start. Hope customer was tickled with erc. bg

sawwood

Bill the customer knew ahead that the cedar was not all that good but they wanted
rough looking wall panels. After a few passes threw the molder we stopped and he
said its ok. So we finished all the lumber.

Sawwood
18" planer/molder

xlogger

Thanks for the video Sawwood. It helps me decide on what I want to get to make T&G cedar boards with. I suppose before you did your T&G there that you ran the boards threw an jointer, planer then rip the boards? Would that be correct? Thanks Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

sawwood

xlogger i have the spiral head planer and the rest of the accessories. So i first planed down the cedar, but i should
have jointed one side as the lumber was warped some. If the cedar had been thicker i could have jointed them
but they where under 3/4 and they wanted 5/8 thick. Then i cut them to 4' 1" so i could cut them into the three
sizes they wanted. If you look at my youtube you will see the saw and moulder set up. I am going to make some
samples to day to have on hand and may be some of the outer molding i have.

Sawwood
18" planer/molder

red oaks lumber

how do you charge for doing all that? the hour or b.f. how much time total do you have per piece? from raw lumber to finished t&g.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

sawwood

Red I would say I had about 10 hours from raw lumber to finish T&G. I did have help when I did the T&G molding
and that helped. If you had the T&G out feed unit that Woodmaster sells that would make it a lot faster. The way
I had we did the grove first and we did change for the different size lumber. Then changed to the tong with 3 dff
sizes..

Sawwood
18" planer/molder

beenthere

Sawwood
Can you feed both sides at the same time... groove on the left, get the piece back over the top, and feed the right for the tongue ?   Always have two pieces moving through at once.

Seems with two, that would be more efficient if the motor can handle it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

samandothers

Sawwood,
Thanks for video!   Your customer has a large back and looks pretty sleepy!   ;D

how may square feet of wall area was he planning to cover?

sawwood

Yes we could have run each one threw twice but with 3 sizes we decided to run all with the grove first. Then the
tongue next. As i have said if you do a lot of T&G the out feed unit would be best. The customer needed 45feet
of lumber and we had 53feet so that should do what he needed. He said when he picked up the T&G he said he
will have more work for me. Needs T&G for flooring with cedar.

Sawwood
18" planer/molder

red oaks lumber

it took 10 hours to run 53 feet?

sawwood

Red the total BF was 300 and if you took the with of all the boards it total 53 feet. hope this helps.

Sawwood
18" planer/molder

red oaks lumber

what happened to the other 247 feet? was there that much waste?

sawwood

I guess i should explane my self. When i said 53 feet that is just how wide you come up with when you add all
the lumbers withes. The lumber was 5 1/4 wide, 4 1.4 wide and 2 3/4 wide.. Not sure how you would tally that
up as there was, i don't remember how may boards there where.

Sawwood
18" planer/molder

Thank You Sponsors!