iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baseball cap clip on light-what is best?

Started by ksks, January 01, 2014, 10:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksks

I've tried one that was marginal.
I'm looking for one to wear for walking or working around the yard.  It doesn't need to stand up to the jarring of running.

Who likes what?

Thanks
Striving to be average!

beenthere

I have a couple hats with the lights built into the bill.  Two for distance and one for reading, or close-up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Roxie

The Amish use a light that goes around the head band of their hats.  They look like miners coming out of the cave in the morning on their way to the barn to milk.
Say when

mrector

I use and swear by headlamps. I have 3 that are 75 lumens, like a small spotlight. They have three settings. Coleman brand from wal mart. They don't clip on but have elastic band. Excellent light for anything from working under a car to frog gigging.
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

thecfarm

frog gigging,not much of that going on around here now in these parts. Even in July the frogs are safe.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Shotgun

I hunt with a bunch of guys that always have to have the 'bestest' there is.  Two things that I didn't care for about their lights was the price ($50 - $70), and the fact that you had to punch the button several times as you cycled through useless and unnecessary options.   I finally found an Energizer with the features that I wanted.  Lowes, $10.00, when I bought it.  Slightly higher now.  It also has a red light for walking in the woods to your blind in the dark. Three AAA batteries, not the little disk batteries that cost an arm and half a leg. Light weight and easy to wear with hat or without. No clip, but a band. When I first surfaced it at camp they all had to see it work, so we all went outside to see if it was as good as theirs.  The amount of light was better with mine and it reached to the top of the trees around camp, when theirs wouldn't.  Such fun.   :D    Within days  they all had one like mine. 

It's fun to win one once in a while.    ;)

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

ksks

Striving to be average!

Sixacresand

I have a cheap 4  bulb deal that clips under the bill of my cap.  The clips broke so i took a upholstery needle and sewed it on.  it has two settings:  ON and flashing (for whatever reason someone may need FOR a flashing light on a hat)
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

DDDfarmer

Looked at the energizer site and I think its the 7 led industrial headlamp that I have.  Had this light for almost 2 years now I think.   Used it for around the house, work, farm, fishing, camping, etc, etc.  Uses the AAA batteries that last quite a while.  Works on a hardhat, ballcap or no hat and its comfortable to wear.  I think it was 10-15 dollars and would buy another.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

DonT

Check out the ones from Petzel they work real well.

DanG

I have that Energizer one and use it frequently.  I think I use it more as a regular flashlight than on my hat but it's nice to be hands-free at times.  It is a bit heavy to leave it on the cap as it tends to sag after a few minutes.  It was about $15 at Walmart.  Batteries last a long time, as with all LED lights.  :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Wudman

I have one that is from Browning (the gun folks).  I got it for Christmas a few years back.  It clips to the brim and has three LEDs.  It uses watch size batteries.  It's very compact and I like it.  Use it mainly for baiting hooks during night fishing. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

gspren

I'm with the crowd that likes simple on and off, no cycling through low, medium, high, flashing, etc. I feel the same with regular flashlights, just give me off and on.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

DanG

I feel the same way, gspren, but I haven't found one with a simple on/off without spending a bunch of money.  Seems like it would be the other way round. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Shotgun

DanG, I have the Energizer light (see my post above) and it has a simple off/on switch and it's certainly not heavy.  There are several models of Energizer head lights, and perhaps you have one of the other models.  I have seen my model lately for under $15.00 and I guess I don't consider that a lot of money for what you'll get.

Norm

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

isawlogs

I have tried the cheap ones and they need a battery change not long after you work them, once you get a good battery they last, that being said , I also have the band type Petzel and am very found of them, they have great lightin capacity and last long. I don't know the cost as its been a while and last time I looked at them there where so many different models to deal with I gave up. ::)   :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Al_Smith

I've got an energizer also .The red lights if it has not already been mentioned do not change the rods and cones in your eyes which take about 20 minutes to adjust for night vision.

Fact in my days of being a raider of the deep on the high seas as part of Uncle Sams under water Navy it was the only way you could tell if it was day or night .If the "boat"  was "rigged for red " it was dark on the surface . Ha calling a submarine a "boat " infuriated those acadamy "ring tappers " .I never missed the opprotunity  to fire one of them up ,great sport .

DanG

Quote from: Shotgun on January 03, 2014, 11:37:14 AM

DanG, I have the Energizer light (see my post above) and it has a simple off/on switch and it's certainly not heavy.  There are several models of Energizer head lights, and perhaps you have one of the other models.  I have seen my model lately for under $15.00 and I guess I don't consider that a lot of money for what you'll get.

Norm

Norm, if I understand, your's is not a clip-on, which is the most important feature I want. A strap-on headlight is mostly useless to me as I most always wear a hat.  Mine is not heavy at all, but just enough to make my cap slide forward sometimes, so I keep it in my pocket until needed.

I actually have two of these lights for an unusual reason.  ;D  The lights on my boat trailer are wired in such a way that the turn signals don't work right if the taillights are on.  Rather than modifying it to match the truck, which would make it not work with the other truck, I just cut the taillight wire and clip my two cap lights on the back and set them on red if I'm driving in the dark. ;D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 03, 2014, 12:56:48 PM
... Ha calling a submarine a "boat " infuriated those acadamy "ring tappers " .I never missed the opprotunity  to fire one of them up ,great sport .

Al,

By the time I served you would get a real fight from any "bubblehead" if you called a submarine a ship instead of a boat.

Herb

drobertson

As beenthere mentioned, the ones with built in lights work real well, I picked up one last year on sale for 5 bucks, the same as mentioned, with green lights as well, very handy, the clip ons work, as do the ones with straps, these just seem a lil heavier and awkward at times,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!