iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying Holly.

Started by The WoodYard, January 01, 2014, 10:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The WoodYard

I am looking to harvest a huge Holly tree. I'm in the SE. I have read to cut it in the winter and start drying soon. Would it be best to sticker and air dry first, then kiln dry? Does 8/4 do better than 4/4? Would appreciate advice.

clww

Can't answer your inquiry, but someone on here will be along soon.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
:new_year:
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

warren46

I believe you are right to cut in winter.  I cut one last spring and had is sawn into 4/4 the same day.  I then stickered immediately and air dried.  Came out nice and white.  Since holly is usually used as stringing and other thin and small pieces I chose 4/4.  It can then be resawn to the desired size.

Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Holly must be dried quickly or it will turn darker.  So, keep it out of the rain.  Get plenty of air on it when the temperature is over 50 F.  The critical time is during the loss of the first 1/3 of the moisture. 
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Ianab

QuoteWould it be best to sticker and air dry first, then kiln dry?

If you can get it into a kiln right away (same day) you have the best chance of keeping the wood white.

Processing in winter will help too, it's slows the chemical processes that are going to discolour the wet wood. Gives it a chance to dry a bit before they set in.

But most important is to get it at least partly dried ASAP.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If you do go directly to the kiln, you do indeed have the best chance of white lumber, but only if you use very low humidities initially 65% RH with temperatures under 105 F during the loss of the first 1/3.  As mentioned, go into the kiln within hours of sawing and within a day or two of harvesting..  If you have a dead tree, there are no guarantees of color, as loss can occur in the tree or log.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

Hey Rick,

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Good to see you here. 

Danny
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!